PDA

View Full Version : Coming Off Mirtazapine

banana
25-05-10, 18:33
I have been on this medication for nearly 3 years, when a few weeks ago I got sick of having to take it so have been slowly cutting down from 45mg and am now down to just half a tablet, I just wish the doctors would tell you in the beginning just how difficult it is to come off these tablets.

Just wanted to know if anybody else had had side effects when coming off, I don't remember having any side effects when taking them at the beginning but as I wasn't sleeping at the time I probably did but just didn't take any notice.

Thanks
Banana:yesyes:

ElizabethJane
26-05-10, 19:00
Dear Banana if I could tell you that it was a walk in the park coming off mirtazapine I would but I would be a liar. I had a terrible experience the first time. The second I came off them I did it really really slowly I had terrible anxiety panic attacks and feelings that made me think the original illness was returning. I did succeed in coming off mirtazapine but it was not without the help of some diazepan. The only consolation was that the withdrawals did end after about two weeks. You are wise to come off the mirt very very slowly. The first time I was told to come off 'cold turkey' a big mistake and a big no no. The second time I withdrew them very very slowly. However my illness returned and I was given the option of going back on the mirt. As I had had reactions to duloxetine and seroxat in the past I went back on them. I am currently on 45mg for the forerseeable future. I wish you well with your mirt withdrawal. EJ.

jaded jean
26-05-10, 19:16
Hello banana&E.J
I was on mirt. 30mg. I was only on it for 4 months as the anxiety started to break thru. Iwas then prescribed citalopram, I was told to miss the mirt out one day and start the cit the day after.This was living hell. Was I experiencing withdrawal from the mirt or the new side effects of the cit?? I could not tell you. But I sure dont want to go THERE again:mad:
Jean

banana
28-05-10, 16:56
Thanks for all your replies, I have come off them very slowly half a tablet at a time and am now off them altogether. I feel relieved about not having to take them at all but the withdrawals were extremely unpleasant, ie, anxiety attacks, nausea, dizziness etc etc, but as they say what happens only makes you stronger.

Here's to a bright future:yesyes: