PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

Natalie x
26-05-10, 11:59
You may have seen my post earlier about a head pain that i had. Well now I am convinving myself that it must be a stroke. I'm feeling really anxious and worried and constantly look at my face in the mirror to see if there are nay changes! I'm going out of my mind! My legs feel numb and so does my arm but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm panicking. Please reply - I'm really scared.

debbsi
26-05-10, 12:06
Hi Natalie
I can asure you, you are not having a stroke. I also get these symptoms and its caused by anxiety, your irregular breathing will alter the oxygen concentration in your blood - this causes the funny feelings in your limb, lips, tongue, face etc.
The more you panic the worse it will get - try to concentrate on your breathing to allow your blood gases to balance out and you will feel much better.
I work with stroke patients - and I know quite a lot about stroke - and this only makes matters worse for me sometimes.
Remember breathing - and / or distraction can work really well
I'm currently trying to take time to mediate each day and its really having some benefits
Take care x

Natalie x
26-05-10, 12:19
Hi Debbsi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you also suffer from HA? I was never diagnosed with it but I was diagnosed with GAD and I'm pretty sure that I have HA too. I have always been a worrier but not as bad as this! I seek reasuurance at any opportunity I can! Every little pain or ailment I get I worry and think it's something serious. I am currently in the porcess of having CBT and also take Homeopathic remedies xx

debbsi
26-05-10, 12:27
i go through phases of worrying and am sick of it! i had cbt a couple of years ago - but i discharged myself as i felt much better
i tend to worry about a lot of things mostly health
i'm at uni now and training to be an occupational therapist - i am planning to use my summer to sort myself out, i'll no doubt be on here rather a lot
i'm waiting for an appointment at the breast clinic and am petrified - which is what has lead to my current anxiety
iont let it beat me!! i am desperately trying to ignore the unhelpful thoughts which keep passing into my mind - i just want to be able to cope with things without falling to pieces

Workplace Doctors
05-06-10, 19:41
Anxiety is feeling that everyone will experience at some point. We all experience it when faced with situations we find threatening or difficult. People may often use the term ‘stress’, but this is not the same as anxiety. Anxiety may affect somebody both mentally and physically and carry a range of symptoms. Anxiety may be caused by an ongoing worry or, as a sudden response to something that may make us feel scared or threatened (fear).

Normally, both fear and anxiety can be helpful, helping us to avoid dangerous situations, making us alert and giving us the motivation to deal with problems. However, if the feelings become too strong or go for too long, they can stop us from doing the things we want to and can make our lives miserable.

Research suggests that anxiety can be due to genes, however, someone can also become anxious due to external factors e.g. pressure or ongoing worry.
Using drugs like amphetamines, LSD or Ecstasy can sometimes cause anxiety. A simple effect like the caffeine in coffee can often be enough to cause mild anxiety.

However, it should be noted that anxiety can be due to a mixture of personality, things that have happened to someone, or life-changes such as pregnancy.

Phobias

A person with a phobia has intense symptoms of anxiety, But that will arise from time to time when confronted with something that frightens them. At other times they don't feel anxious. Examples of phobias include fear of open spaces or fear of heights
Sufferers may feel silly about their fear/phobia as they know there is no real but they are still unable to control it.

range of options are available to deal with anxiety. Talking about the problem to friends or family can be beneficial.
Finding ways of learning to relax can help control anxiety and tension. Everything from books and video tapes to seeking professional advice can offer an insight on how to relax.
Self-help groups and psychotherapy are other options that may help come to terms with reasons for anxiety.
Medication can have a role to play if the other options are not appropriate. The most common tranquillisers are the valium-like drugs, the benzodiazepines (most sleeping tablets also belong to this class of drugs). They are very effective at relieving anxiety, but they can be addictive after only four weeks regular use. When people try to stop taking them they may experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms which can go on for some time. These drugs should be only used for short periods, perhaps to help during a crisis. They should not be used for longer-term treatment of anxiety.

You may also wish to contact the following:

www.anxietyuk.org.uk (http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/)