PDA

View Full Version : pulse rate when having full blown panic attack

Kirst24
26-05-10, 16:50
So I ended up in a&e last night and my pulse rate was 161... I was really really panicking and just wondered if anyone else's pulse has been this high with a panic attack? It really worried me.

Kirst xx

gypsywomen
26-05-10, 16:56
i havent but i do know it goes off the scale when we have panic attack its the adrenalen rushing around your body

jothenurse
26-05-10, 18:00
Mine has. I have been in the ER at least 4 times with high pulses - One of them was around 160, another in the 150's. All the EKG's showed sinus tachycardia that basically means my heart was fine, but just going too fast - from a panic attack.
Are you on anything for it? I was on a beta-blocker for awhile, but there was a pediatric cardiologist in the ER the last time I was there and he took me off the beta-blocker. He said he doesn't usually use those for sinus tachycardia. He basically said that he reviewed my EKG's and my heart was healthy and that I should go and exercise - do not take my pulse - and if I had some palpitations - take some deep breaths and relax.
I used to exercise all the time before this and at first after this was happening I was afraid to go up the stairs. I am still very anxious (have a panic disorder), but I am taking some walks now. I guess I have to push myself harder, but I am afraid when my pulse goes up (which is normal with exercise, plus now I'm out of shape, and I lost 20 pounds).