PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure

sezios
26-05-10, 21:37
I have had high blood pressure for many years which in the mian has been kept under control by taking a low dose diruretic. Had BP checked in March at clinic and was an amazing 120/80. A month later this had risen to 144/92 and today at clinic was 140/90 and GP said I had 'white coat syndrome' as my pulse rate was 100. (although I had been having palps all afternoon and had resorted to diazepam as I am anxious about a trip I am taking at the weekend and always get panic attacks and palps when travelling these days). When I got home I foolishly checked my BP on a home monitor more times than I should have and the results were scary - ranging from 145/91 to a really scary 161/108. :scared15: I now have all my classic anxiety symptoms fuzzy head, tingling limbs, missed heartbeats etc because I am now convinced I am going to be seroiusly ill because of the high BP readings. I guess I'm posting this in the hope that someone out there can reassure me these excessive readings are blips and probably tied into the anxiety. Surely the GP reading couldn't be that wrong?? How accurate are home monitors? Any comments welcome......please!

Zee
26-05-10, 21:45
My BP 6 weeks ago was 150/90. Doctor knew I was anxious and said its white coat hypertension..He took a further 2 readings and got the BP down.. I dont know much about home monitors im afraid but my nephew uses one as he does have very high BP. When he reads a quite high measure he has it rechecked by doc and it always reads lower ..

shorty1969
26-05-10, 22:01
I went through the same thing for a few weeks with bp , nurse checked it three weeks in a row and it was at 148 / 97 , was making me realy anx , like you thinking something was wrong , i bought a home moniter , first check was 124 / 78 , next check it was up at 146 / 108 :ohmy:.. kinda made me think its all down to the way we are thinking and feeling , next visit to the nurse (my favourite nurse this time !!) she always has a good way of putting me at ease :) this check was 124 /73 ... Its more than likely your getting worked up about it , this is probably elevating it slightly ..

sezios
27-05-10, 21:10
After more scary readings of up to 167/113, and a morning of great anxiety and palps, I went to GP this afternoon. Recorded 160/100 in the surgery. Been given Lisinopril to take along with my current medication. Been assured that this is not dangerous but needs treating. I'm sure that some of this rise in BP is due to anxiety but it is so worrying - especially for someone suffering from health anxiety!

smpomeroy
27-05-10, 22:31
its almost certainly due to anxiety.... try to spend some, time relaxing before you take it at home. I usually feel my chest start to tighten up at the mere mention of the word bp test.. seriously I kid you not. I can make it go up and down by just thinking. I dont think thats particularly dangerous its whent here are underlying physical reasons for it to be high that its more of a problem.

sezios
28-05-10, 23:10
Thanks for the reassuring comments! It was down to 135/97 this morning which (although still on the high side) calmed me down a bit and I am trying all the relaxation techniques I know! Especially as I have to take a short flight tomorrow morning and I hate flying - bound to send the BP up and set the palps off!!!

Bexmumto3
29-05-10, 20:16
My husband has just been diagnosed with high blood pressure, his highest reading which was last week was 192/94, he has been started on meds now & has to have a blood test in 7-10 days to check his kidney function (something to do with the meds) my BP is normally always high as well, try not to worry yourself as you said they have said it is probably anxiety related but as long as it is monitored should it be a continual thing then they can treat you accordingly & you will be fine x