PDA

View Full Version : I know I am dying

j2
27-05-10, 15:53
I am a 38 yr old male with GERD, IBS and GAD. My health is the trigger to my anxiety. I am not on medication.

For months I have been having pain in hands, feet, knees, ankles and other places. Sometimes it is joint pain, sometime it feels more like muscle or nerve pain. I woke up this morning after a horrible night's sleep and my left leg is numb, I have patches of pins and needles in other parts of my body. I can walk and climb stairs but my leg feels crampy. This is scaring me, I am staring at the phone thinking of calling an ambulance because I think I am having a stroke or should I go to the ER and find out I have a brain tumor or a some other tumor pressing on a nerve. I fear the nuero diseases so much that I feel ill just thinking about them. I want to cry, I want to run away and hide from myself. I want to believe I am going to be alive for my kids but I just can't make myself believe that I will be around much longer. Please help, I am falling apart.

zippy
27-05-10, 15:57
It could be fibromyalgia because that causes muscle and joint pain and a variety of other things.It might just be anxiety but i dont think its a stroke. xx

LucyR
27-05-10, 16:16
Hi, It may be RSI by spending too much time on the Computer?

j2
27-05-10, 17:20
Thanks for the responses. Anyone else have any insights. I am sorry to be so pathetic but I am just so lost.

randomworry
27-05-10, 17:40
you have no evidence that it is anything serious at all so it isn't just go to the doc to get some pain relief meds and ask them to give you a check up
in the meantime relax and distract yourself, try meditation or yoga
all the best you will be fine and you are not pathetic it is normal to worry but dont let the worry cause you problems.

Dazza
27-05-10, 19:12
Hi,

You have my sympathy and understanding.

I'm a 37yo male with similar symptoms: pain, numbness. Had endless medical tests and all have come back normal.

Do you sleep well? I think sleeping well might help.

sezios
27-05-10, 21:33
I always have tingling, pins and needles and numbness in one part of my body or other. Right now it's in my hands and a bit on my face. Over the last 20 plus years it has been variously in my feet, legs arms, scalp and face and sometimes very sore and painful. I have never had a definate diagnosis but the probability is that it is a pinched or trapped nerve problem in the base of my spine. It's hard to get your head around as the tingling and numbness is usually located well away from the spine. I have also come to the conclusion that some of it, especially the face and scalp is yet another symptom of my anxiety issues.

May not be exactly the same as your worries but some similarities and I would also recommend relaxation techniques such as meditation. I'm new to this but have found it very useful, I use a cd most days at the moment.

j2
28-05-10, 05:21
Thanks so much for the input. Does anyone gets cramps in areas that are numb? I fear that I am weaker in one leg or that I am going to collapse so I continuously test my legs by jumping or hopping to see if I am strong enough. Anyway, I am feeling a little better but it makes me feel so much better to hear other people's stories.

Shigo13
28-05-10, 09:30
Its most likely muscle tension from anxiety. I have been having really weird panic attacks lately that make my body feel pain and very weak like everything is going to give out and that I am going to pass out its really strange. I went to a hypnotherapist and after one session I feel soooo much better! But aside from that this all sounds like anxiety to me. I always had to those feelings like I am going to die or that my days were numbered due to dizzyness, feeling faint, numbness, pain, and other scary sensations. The truth is anxiety mimics all major health conditions so thats why anxiety is a huge pain to deal with. Talk to your doc and see what therapys you can use. and also RELAX I know it is easier than done but try to get some extra sleep. Lay out in the sun, or just have a nice relaxing bath. You have to treat yourself good if you want to feel good!

j2
28-05-10, 15:15
I know what you are saying about getting enough sleep. When I actually get 8 hours (which is hardly ever) I feel so much better. I just can't turn off my fear though. Everywhere I turn I see examples of people my age dying young and I just can't help think that I am next. This stinks!

Shigo13
29-05-10, 05:08
same here. I am always worried about dieing or going crazy but one thing you have to look at is, you are going to die one day. You cant avoid death. Its going to happen one day. Just live everyday like it is your last! I promise you will feel so much better. Its always mind over matter. If you carry a positive attitude you will have a positive life. Here is a great quote for you. "If you are worried about something, examine if you can do anything about it. If you can, there is no need to worry, and if you cannot, then there is still no reason to worry." Best wishes :)

sarah jayne
29-05-10, 09:54
I worry about dying every day. Its awful. All your symptoms are the same as mine and i was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Its might be worth mentioning this to your doc.
Sarah x

lindajane1971
29-05-10, 15:04
Hi J2,
Sorry to hear you are having a bad time :hugs:
Is the pain & numbness in your hands/feet through the night and first thing in the morning??? I wake up often in the middle of the night with my hands totally numb - just before the pins n needles stage and then the pain is awful until i shake it out, ive also woken a few times with a numb leg, my doc tells me its a touch of carpol tunnel syndrome, harmless and there isna a cure as such but its so dam irritating, worrying and painfull.......every time it happens i wonder if i am fit enough to get to the hospital or should i call for help but ive never done it and it always settles.

I have restless leg syndrome too or crazy legs like my husband says lol which is THE worst thing to have when trying to sleep, its like they are possessed by the devil or something!!!!!!

i also feel constantly lightheaded, like ive had a few glasses of wine....and like im swaying when im not.......vertigo according to the doctor

Like you i am terrified of tumors, blood diseases, cancers......heart stuff, just everything to be honest, and i have anxiety about all these things every single day. It so tiring to be like this.
I bought some rescue remedy spray and i use it a lot, i does help me and its worth a try for anxiety if you dont want to use medication, the thought of medication terrifies me but ive been able to take this without panicking. I got it off ebay.

Good luck :bighug1:

sezios
22-07-10, 20:14
I have this tingleing and numbness back again and this time my left arm and leg feel weak, not actually weak but it seems my brain thinks they are. It is driving me crazy. Gp says it is all to do with my anxiety. I am about to start taking beta blockers for palps too. working my self up to it. But very worried about the weak arm:weep:

daybyday
22-07-10, 20:47
Many of us understand your thoughts, worries.
I know I have found great compassion here on this site.
It is true how long term anxiety has so many symptoms.