PDA

View Full Version : citaloparm and diazepam

Stroke2009
27-05-10, 16:59
Hello all,

My mom had an ischemic stroke in November 2009 and has been making slow but steady improvement through neurophysio rehab and cardiac assessments ( had an angioplasty in April 2010) . I found that she suddenly became anxious and became disoriented in place about 3 weeks ago...dunno what triggered it but she seems fixated on certain issues and asks the same questions repeatedly. she seems low at times and manic at times....she got an assessment by a psychiatrist recently and was prsecribed citalopram. Today is her 2nd day and she is restless and still panicky ....i have been told to give her diazepam to counteract the sideeffects of the citalopram ...dunno how to give it to her ...worry about dependence on the meds...

I have travelled to UK and I'm supposed to be leaving with her to my home country soon but dunno how i'll manage once i reach there....the stroke and heart attack have left my mom weak....i as a sole carer feel so low now ...dunno how to deal with all these setbacks........i miss my mom ...

gypsywomen
27-05-10, 17:05
if doctors have prescribed diazepam then its ok to give her them ,dont worry ,i am sure you worry about your mum ,, its natural ,,is someone taking care of her while your away

Stroke2009
03-06-10, 18:28
I am mom's full time carer...I took her to a therapy centre for hyperbaric Oxygen therapy...it was her third session but she was terribly anxious...i was literally after her trying to pacify her...she seems more disoriented today but the citalopram seems to has just made her calm...i was in a state today and so distressed....gave her diazepam but her orientation is still not right. I miss how my mom used to be . I feel exhausted telling her the same things over and over.....feel like i'll explode ....everything is taking it's toll on me....i feel low seeing how she is now... i have quit my job for now and have been taking care of her full time...i came to UK where my brother is living for her neurophysio rehab ...she was reasonably oriented until about over a month ago...i don't know what happened to trigger her anxiety and disorientation. I am handling her 99% of the time ...my brother has a family and busy job so he can't spend time or help out with actual care. He is a doctor like me and he sorts any medical complications and tests. He needs to earn .....i want to get back to my job in my country Zambia and I'm due to travel soon with mom but her mental state is worrying me terribly . I need to sort out good care for her but these things take ages and cannot be guaranteed . I really am scared