PDA

View Full Version : Worried mum

KathyM
20-02-04, 14:45
Ello everyone :)
I'm Kathy and I live in West Yorks with my partner and 3 kids. My youngest (now 5) has a history of passing out when injured/scared, and we're looking into what might be causing it. She passed out initially after her pre-school boosters the year before last, and has since been doing it nearly every time she is injured or perceives herself as being about to be injured (eg when she swallowed a tiddlywink the other day, and yesterday while shopping she nearly passed out at the top of a small flight of stairs).
It's become a bit of a running joke to the school/family and even the doctor (who seemed to think it was nothing to worry about).
Anyhoo, I'm here for advice and opinions, and its lovely to meet you all!
Take care
Kathy

Meg
20-02-04, 16:46
Hi Kathy,

Most of the time passing out is as a direct result of an inbalance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood following hyperventilation which most of us get when traumatized but generally not to that extent. The fainting happens as the body needs to get itself back into balance and thus once you're out cold and not in control it can self regulate again.
She may complain of dizziness or very typically pins and needles in the fingers or feet .

Couple of things to try .. immediately something happens sit with her and breathe with her , counting 4 in and 6 out . You may need to start quicker and slow her down. It would be valuable to just watch her normal breathing pattern so you know how fast she usually is.
A McDonalds or mushroom paper bag is also good to rebreathe her expired air for a minute or two but if you can teach her to slow the breathing down herself it's much better long term.
Some people cope by just cupping their hands over their mouths and that can be enough rebreathing of air to keep upright.

If this really has no effect there are a very few people who stimulate their vagus nerve when shocked and this can lead to immediate lowering of blood pressure which causes a faint, again so the body can self regulate whilst lying flat.

Let us know how you get on

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

KathyM
20-02-04, 17:20
Thank you very much for your advice Meg :D
Connie definitely isnt hyperventilating though - it happens far to quickly for that (shes not breath-holding either). I can only assume its the vagus nerve, but I'm not rushing into home diagnosis with my lack of knowledge on it! *lol*
Am taking her to the docs on Monday morning (hoping the school will understand me keeping her off for the morning, because theyre funny like that [}:)] ).
Thanks again
Kathy

Meg
21-02-04, 00:11
This is not uncommon with children.

It becomes learned automatic behaviour very quickly with them, most also grow out of it.

She is dropping her blood pressure from shock, trauma and it's become her body way of coping.

Let us know what the doctor says.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

KathyM
21-02-04, 09:54
Thanks Meg - will do ;)

Rennie1989
21-02-04, 12:41
meg: is it normal when ya have a panic attack and ya hyperventilating that ya feel fainty ro ya just wanna go to sleep or faint

jade