PDA

View Full Version : how much longer?

chili2424
28-05-10, 00:59
ok so after my getting first anxiety attack in january of 2010 i was feeling like hell. my life was totally upside down and it was truly horrible. i had a list of symptoms all which are anxiety related and everyone here can relate too how bad they were. so now almost 6 months have passed and it has become slightly more manageable. it isn't the hell it was b4 but it still is a royal pain in the ass. i constantly have breathing problems still which havent gone away, i get confused and disoriented randomly, occasional derealization, and just basic anxiety symptoms. I don't know how much I can take of this I have never been remotely close to being "sick" for this long. when will i finally be done with this I went to doctor's in January and he told me these type of things clear up after a couple of months but now what? help please

Going home
28-05-10, 01:44
I think the 'clearing up' part is largely down to how we cope with the anxiety symptoms and how much positive thinking we can do about them. You sound like a strong person who has been overwhelmed with this. If you can try to tell yourself that uncomfortable though it feels, your body is in fact acting as it should when you feel anxious, its doing what it should be doing and doesnt know the difference between you fighting the enemy physically or mentally. If its physically then you would use up all the extra adrenaline, but sitting in an armchair or walking around a supermarket won't use it up so you then start to feel the effects of it...not so nice.

The length of time you cannot predict, its up to the individual as to how long they will let the anxiety rule :shrug:

keep posting and sharing...you will get there.

Anna xxx

chili2424
28-05-10, 01:50
thanks for the comment, i know im getting better but its so so so slow! its like a snail running the marathon

Going home
28-05-10, 01:57
Well if you're an impatient person...as am I...then it might be part of 'personality A' which means that you have a tendency to..guess what?..anxiety. Slow down, take deep breaths...your impatience is probably prolonging the anx. Ive learned the hard way believe me...:)

Anna xxx

Bill
28-05-10, 03:02
You know the expression "Chill"...that's what you need to practise. When we're impatient, we create tension which then causes our anxiety symptoms to last Longer.

Remember...anxiety symptoms are created by the way we react to Our Thoughts based on the issues and situations that frighten us so if we can learn how to relax no matter what thoughts we think, the anxiety can go Immediately.

It's not a case of waiting for anxiety to leave us; it's case of "allowing" anxiety to leave us by learning how to Chill out.

It will go when You let it....when you stop allowing it to wind you up.:)

chili2424
28-05-10, 06:21
I also noticed my anxiety comes more frequently when I'm excited. Like when I'm playing poker or the day before something exciting is going to happen. I get butterflies in my stomach as early symptoms then it exceeds to my real anxiety problems like breathing and panic thoughts. How can I relax and let go without losing the exciting things in life. I don't want to just sweep the problem under the rug and hope it doesn't return.

Brunette
28-05-10, 08:34
I know where you're coming from Going home,

Most of my anxiety is caused by impatience. I am constantly working to be less so but it takes alot of practice!

I am getting better at catching myself becoming impatient and trying to "chill" now though.

Raindog
28-05-10, 09:15
I think anxiety compounds the issue with impatience, I've learned to be less impatient over the years and relax a bit more. I recently started getting a low level of anxiety that wasn't too bad at first, I decided to cope with it and find my own way out but when it increased everything became more urgent and that need to find an 'off switch' for the feelings became overriding to other things.

Anxiety can feel like a prison cell and you end up desperate to escape, looking for reassurance and help wherever you can. I felt pretty desperate last week when I was trying to find a way out of it, thankfully now my meds have started taking effect and it's faded so I'm thankful for the reprieve. Sometimes we have to go through these things to teach us lessons or give us a new perspective.

Better days for all I hope.