PDA

View Full Version : rash on throat

allergyphobia
28-05-10, 02:31
please help im freaking out, got a rash all up the front of my throat, of course im in a state but i seem to be able to breathe okay when i calm down, but it's all over my throat, what should i do???

Going home
28-05-10, 02:34
Do you mean your neck...how can you see a rash along the length of your throat, unless you have one of those small lights that doctors use to look deep into your mouth? If its outside on your neck it could be an allergic reaction to something you are wearing? do you wear one of those big scarves that young people...including my daughter...wear even on hot days? could it be a heat rash do you think?

Anna xx

allergyphobia
28-05-10, 02:38
sorry yes i mean the front of my neck... this is like my worst nightmare coming true, maybe heat rash i have just been in bed maybe the duvet has made me hot, should i take an antihistamine i have already taken one about 8 hours ago for my hayfever??? thanks so much for replying x

Going home
28-05-10, 02:41
Are you prone to rashes in connection to your hayfever or to heat?

allergyphobia
28-05-10, 02:46
i do get heat rash occassionally and i get excema etc just never had it like this on the neck before, its not like excema but a block rash across the front of my neck, it has calmed a lot now just had a flannel on it so maybe it is heat, now i am panicking i can't breathe etc cause has worried me and made me panicky and over-breathe... i guess i should just stay up for a bit and keep an eye on it?? x

Going home
28-05-10, 02:59
Ok, just take some deep breaths, you're ok. Nothing on the skin outside of your throat will affect anything on the inside like your breathing ok? its only your fear thats doing this. Any rash, whether its eczema or anything else wouldn't do this, and hayfever wouldnt do this either. It sounds as if you have a heat rash to be honest but this wouldn't mean anything serious with your breathing ok? Just breathe normally, in on the count of 8 and out on the count of 6 (or 6 to 4 if this is easier) try to chill, you'll be ok.

Anna xx :)

allergyphobia
28-05-10, 03:20
thank you, am just trying to relax with some chill out music on... i always worry that my breathing will be affected etc and then as im worried by breathing does get funny from panicking.... im a nightmare.... thank you so much for replying, just stressing as well cos have work tomorrow too and shuve been asleep hours ago :'(... a rash like this isnt going to do anything bad right!? x

Vanilla Sky
28-05-10, 11:02
No allergy , it's not going to do anything bad . How is it now hun ?

Lizziesaurus
28-05-10, 13:07
My friend gets this ALL THE TIME for no apparent reason! It's nothing serious, might be the heat or have you used any new perfumes or face washes or anything? Things like that set me off in a rash sometimes. Also, jewellery that's cheap usually gives me quite a bad rash. I really doubt it's anything to worry about :)

Lizziesaurus
28-05-10, 13:08
My friend gets this ALL THE TIME for no apparent reason, and it's nothing serious. Also, could be the heat, stress or if you've used any new perfumes/face washes? Also, I have exczema and necklaces that are cheap usually irritate my skin and I'll get a rash. I really doubt it's anything to worry about :)

allergyphobia
28-05-10, 15:58
hi guys! well yep you were all right it hasnt killed me yet haha. thank you anna you really helped me last night just drifted off to sleep in the end! i think its the pollen and maybe stress heat etc, my neck is itchy all the time at the moment so probably anx, just another glorious symptom oh how i love it! thanks all xx

RLR
28-05-10, 21:14
Okay, please understand that the internet is the absolute worst resource to use in attempting to receive a medical diagnosis. In all cases, you should first be directly evaluated by your primary care doctor. The forums are a wonderful source for support from others who may be experiencing, or historically have experienced, the same phenomenon.

It is, however, very unwise to seek medical attention via the internet prior to direct evaluation by your doctor.

And to the individual who responded that "no skin rash can affect your breathing" I will simply tell you here that anaphylaxis very commonly produces a skin rash reaction in addition to hypotension and swelling of the mucous membranes which line the oral cavity, larnyx and trachea, all of which can result in choking and ultimately respiratory arrest.

In the case of this person, however, it is not the case since anaphylatic reaction of this type occurs quite rapidly. Nevertheless, it is but one example where a skin rash can precede or accompany respiratory challenge.

To the person who originally posted the complaint, if the rash is still present and you can provide more details such as whether the rash blanches when you press the skin within the rashed area, whether the skin within the rashed area is whealed or raised, whether it itches, burns or otherwise produces discomfort and whether there are any central lesions which are expressing any type of fluid, I might be able to better direct you to the proper source for evaluation.

Again, always see your doctor first and then discuss the results on the forum if you still have questions or need reassurance. There are wonderful people here willing to provide support, but medical evaluation must always come directly from your doctor if you have circumstances which concern you to this extent.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Zee
28-05-10, 21:41
Ive had a reddening appear on both sides of my neck on occassions for over 10 years. It usually happens when my neck and shoulders are tense. I put cool water on and some cream and it fades. Doesnt itch,burn or anything.

allergyphobia
29-05-10, 11:47
RLR i can appreciate that you are trying for everybody to be best informed as possible but i don't appreciate your description about anaphlyaxis, i posted in the middle of the night as I couldnt see my GP and i did not want to google my symptoms so i could avoid the exact description like you have posted now.

RLR
29-05-10, 12:04
Well, the problem has absolutely nothing to do with my "description" but rather your inability to control irrational fears that are unwarranted. If you had read more thoroughly, you'd also note that I made a statement following that description that clearly pointed out that it was not the circumstances in your case and did so because I know all too well that people who frequent these forums commonly believe that every mention of a symptom is somehow associated with their own complaint.

My purpose here is provide as much information as possible in order to readers to gain a better understanding of medical issues that concern them.

I'll refrain from responding to any of your future posts if that suits you, but I won't be censoring medical information on the forum in order to prevent unwarranted panic by some who may read it.

Best regards,

allergyphobia
29-05-10, 12:18
haha, i'm surprised that the administrators of this forum actually welcome your type of words on here when you belittle peoples "problems" - i actually have allergies so i wouldn't describe my fear as "unwarranted". if you claim to be such a medical expert maybe you should get your facts straight. thanks.

RLR
29-05-10, 18:22
I have my facts straight and I'm well aware of what's actually wrong with you.

As I've already stated, my response was well qualified by stating that anaphylaxis was not the case where you were concerned. You've merely chosen to react with pure dramatization.

If you have indeed had allergies for 10 years which have risen to the level of anaphylaxis on any occasion, you would not be posting inquiry on the forum. You would already know what steps to take. Seasonal allergies do not rise to the extent of anaphylaxis.

Best regards,

KK77
29-05-10, 19:29
I think we should appreciate the fact that a medical doctor takes the time to offer his knowledge on a forum like this.

There is plenty of reassurance and support here but that does not compensate for a doctor or medical examination. All RLR was doing was pointing out factual medical information, not diagnosing. Therefore there is no reason to find his comments alarmist.

bottleblond
29-05-10, 20:20
haha, i'm surprised that the administrators of this forum actually welcome your type of words on here when you belittle peoples "problems" - i actually have allergies so i wouldn't describe my fear as "unwarranted". if you claim to be such a medical expert maybe you should get your facts straight. thanks.

I think that is quite enough. RLR is a well respected. professional and helpfull member of this site. Please refrain from publicly slating this member.

Thank you

Lisa

eeyorelover
30-05-10, 04:38
I have to say that not only as an admin but simply as a regular member, I whole-heartedly welcome the insight of a gentleman who has been in the medical field for an extended period of time and makes it a point to offer that knowledge with no expectation of praise or personal gain to people who desperately need it!
It's never a bad thing to acquire knowledge! Sometimes it's scary, yes I agree but only thru insight can we become more in charge of our health and well being.

Please don't feel that I am trying to belittle your feelings because I do understand them! I do think tho that this site is so much more than just a place to get a pat on the back or a reassuring word! Sometimes we all need a good dose of reality, or a kick in the pants to help us to not only try to overcome anxiety but to grow as people!
xxx
Sandy

allergyphobia
06-06-10, 20:27
This thread has been on my mind for some time, and i think it is time that i replied publicly and apologised to RLR for my earlier comments.

I am sorry for being rude and undermining your position here on this forum. You are clearly a very well informed and respected person here and I can honestly say my comments to you were made from the fear I have - clearly i got my "back up" thinking you weren't taking my problem seriously when in fact you were doing quite the opposite.

On reflection your advice was very useful, so thank you very much, and i would like to ask you further questions about this, but I am almost scared to read your replies, (due to me overreacting and thinking they are happening to me right now). So for now I hope this public apology will do.

Many thanks everybody for your support on this difficult journey of mine so far, and apologies to everybody I offended.

:yesyes:

RLR
07-06-10, 03:41
Well, no apology is ever necessary. I certainly understand how you feel. I'm an old physician and I was always open and direct with patients concerning their problems. To respond otherwise is rather condescending and I don't believe it establishes a very genuine rapport with one's patients. Many physicians come to believe that they are smarter than their patients, when in fact they merely have a different and unique set of skills.

It's important for you to focus upon the underlying reasons that cause such irrational fear, for this is the key to actually understanding the problem.

You can feel free to post questions on the open forum or via private message if you feel too uncomfortable. I do my best, however, to encourage open forum posting so that others who may have similar questions or concerns can join the discussion or obtain information as well.

Thank you for your posting and the kind gesture. It has not gone unnoticed.

Best regards,

anthrokid
07-06-10, 13:37
Heya sweets,

I've been in a bit of a state with allergy fears today too. I hope you're feeling okay now, RLR's information was amazing. Helpful to me too, except my worries are about itching ont he inside of my throat so still a bit stressed out over it being a severe allergy, how silly are we miss!

allergyphobia
07-06-10, 15:39
Thanks RLR. The problem with me is the uncertainty about my ongoing cough (8 months) and associated oral allergy syndrome.. this has led to my irrational fear as you know which is why i have ended up where i am. As Amiee said your advice is very useful. even knowing a bad reaction would not occur from a seasonal allergy is a good weapon against this crazy brain of mine!

this rash didnt last long and i think its just heat/stress.

Heya sweets,

I've been in a bit of a state with allergy fears today too. I hope you're feeling okay now, RLR's information was amazing. Helpful to me too, except my worries are about itching ont he inside of my throat so still a bit stressed out over it being a severe allergy, how silly are we miss!

I have had this for sooo long now i think it's why i am constantly feeling anxiety at the moment so DO NOT WORRY you are not alone. i'm trying to stop my checking behaviours like prodding and checking in the mirror and to just take an anithistamine and get on with things... honestly, my mouth is itchy roof of mouth and down throat and feels kinda swollen/sore, but it's only pollen, think how much you breathe in through your nose and mouth... i have some tips, always rinse your hair before you go to bed and never lie on your bed in clothes you have worn in the day!

i hope you're not worrying too much, you have been doing so so well, everyone is saying how bad pollen has been this year, everywhere! if you're anywhere near the sea too i heard that helps. we are silly, we practically graduated from silly school! i convinced myself i was going into ana yesterday from some chicken = WTF! :bighug1:

ann01
07-06-10, 18:53
I have been concerned about a rash on both sides of my neck too, it goes from just under each ear to just above my collar bone, I have had this since may 2009 and it never goes away it just gets brighter when I am hot for example in hot weather or when I have just got out of the shower, I have shown my doctor and said it never goes away but my doctor hasn't given an explaination nor does he seem concerned in any way but I worry about it.