PDA

View Full Version : Do Citalopram tablets go out of date?

Gareth
28-05-10, 15:26
Hi there,

I need to go back onto the Citalopram after 4 years off them, but can't get to the docs until late next week.

I'm keen to get started and have some tablets that have been in a glass pill jar in my bedside table for 4 years.

Are these safe to take, anybody know?

Thanks

Raindog
28-05-10, 15:43
I'd consult with a pharmacist about those if you can't see your GP yet, they'll give you the best advice but I'd seriously consider not touching them until someone with the right knowledge tells you otherwise.

You should be able to nip into your local chemists and just ask over the counter, they're usually really helpful, especially with something like this. And if the pills are too old to use they can dispose of them for you safely too.

Mogwog
28-05-10, 15:43
Hi

I'm not sure but my tablets have an expiry date on the box for next year and I only got them yesterday.

Laura

Danath
28-05-10, 16:47
probably not, I think most tablets normally have an expiry of about a year or so after you get them. i don't know if they'd do you any harm but i really cant think that they'd do you any good, so i'd bin them and get some new ones off the doc if I were you. Besides the doctor might feel its appropriate for you to try a different medication.

jchild10
28-05-10, 18:36
Check out this article:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

Apparently drugs even 10-15 years past the expiration dates that are printed on the bottles are still effective.

JT69
28-05-10, 19:34
Hi,

I definately wouldn't take them...I am a qualified dispenser and am sure that they will be well past their date. I also think you need to take advice from your GP too before starting back on meds.

Take care.
Jo.xx

jchild10
28-05-10, 20:32
I've had a similar experience, Gareth. I was on Citalopram for a three year period, up until last June when I thought I was ready to taper off. I remained depression-free till this past January when the symptoms started to creep back. (I wrote all about this in a previous thread).

I struggled with it, things getting worse until April when I decided to start taking my Citalopram again. I had some left over from when I had stopped taking it last June, though the expiration date was still good. I also made an appointment with a doctor at this point to get a refill, so I wouldn't run out.

If you responded well to Citalopram before then you should respond well to it again. But this is not guaranteed.

And I can very well understand the desperate feeling you may be having about things getting worse and not feeling you are able to wait to see the doctor. When I went to see my doctor, I had already been taking Citalopram for two weeks, and it was starting to ease my depression, actually quicker than it had the first go-round. I explained the situation to him truthfully and it was decided that I should stay on it, and I was given a new prescription for it.

This is my experience, though I would wait to see your doctor like others here have suggested.

Good luck!

morningstar
18-12-13, 12:58
I used celexa (citalopram) (and wellbutrin) together for three years with good effect, and after moving to a new situation was depression free for two years (rejoice!) A new administrative position put me into distress, so I started taking my old meds. Actually, I had just read a long excerpt about how expiration dates are bogus on most medicines, so I didn't even check the expiration date. I had a pretty immediate allergic reaction with itchiness and red splotches-no sleep last night! I had also been taking wellbutrin, so to be fair, it could have been wellbutrin. This is making me think of the "so many dumb ways to die" song. I really should have checked the expiration date and more importantly, had a check up with my doctor to have re-starting them being monitored. I will be taking allegra for about two weeks to clear up this reaction and now will go back to the drawing board for what meds will be effective for me. 'didn't pick up the book---doin' it myself didn't work out that good' Macklemore

boro1876
21-12-13, 16:04
If tablets have an expire date it's the shelf life of the chemicals/drugs are safe to use they will not kill you mainly the are weaker over time you may have a bad reaction so see your chemist first

Tero
21-12-13, 17:02
The expiration date is mostly fro Americans, so they do not sue the maker!

Nearly all CNS drugs contain a nitrogen, and it gets oxidized by air eventually. Typically the so called N-oxide is just an inactive chemical, present to less than 1%.

The oxide is even made by your body as you take the drug:
http://www.drugs.com/ppa/citalopram.html

But the effect of citalopram when starting a course is so slow, a week's wait is not really much.

There ARE drugs that decompose fast and the pharmacist will have a list. Do not take expired drugs if there is an option.