PDA

View Full Version : How long does sertraline work for?

linworth
29-05-10, 14:59
Hi,

just a quicky on my background, i suffered with PND after the birth of both my children, stress related and bereavement, after my second child, who was born 5 years ago, i was put on sertraline, worked wonders after the initial terrible increased anxiety. Anyway have been well for over 41/2 very happy with my life, but due to work stress and financial worries, i had a panic attack four weeks ago, awful, has really set me back and had a bad time the last few weeks with anxiety that my depression was coming back and i wouldnt be able to cope, but knew when calm i would. Anyway went to doctors, who immediatley said increase your dose to 100mg to calm you down, no thanks, dont want those side effects again, any way started counselling through work, she has said stress related and not letting go of grief from the past. Does anybody think that the tablets have stopped working? surely they couldnt have just stopped? one week fine, the next a mess? I am slowly getting better, managing my everyday life, but feel a bit low and anxious feelings still there in the background. how long has people been on these tablets? do i need to increase?

thanks lynne

Dahlia
13-06-10, 13:15
I was on sertraline for about 4 years, and then I started experiencing anxiety and panic again. It seemed it had stopped working for me (but maybe I was expecting too much from it in a period of high stress, I don't know. I'm pretty sure it had 'pooped out'). I've now gone back on it (100mg) after 2 years off, and it seems to be working so far.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying 100mg. In my experience ramping up to 100 from 50mg isn't too bad side effect-wise. Your other alternative is to switch to another med, but that can take time, so I'd give the 100mg a shot first.

Dahlia