PDA

View Full Version : breathing!!!!!!!!!!

zippy
29-05-10, 16:09
Can anyone describe the feeling like ya cant breath properly thingy? I can be ok then i feel like i cant breath properly for no reason, it feels like what i would imagine asthma to feel like. Do you think this is anxiety as the doc as listened to my chest and its clear and my oxygen levels are fine?.

f4Gg0t_43
29-05-10, 16:44
I think it's just called shortness of breath. It could be hyperventilating or something. Just try and get your breathing under control. Slow deep breathes. Unless you mean that other thing where you get a lump in your throat, I can't remember the name for that. Either way, just try and distract yourself, and it will magically go away.

jaded jean
29-05-10, 17:12
Hi.
You probably are breathing to shallowly. Try putting your hand on your diaphragm and breathe in for the count of 4 and out for 4 making sure youre stomach moves out as well.You should notice the difference after a few minutes
Jean

randomworry
29-05-10, 17:14
this breathing problem happens when you are stressed it is just telling you to relax

zippy
29-05-10, 17:16
I dont feel stressed today though so why do you still get it?

randomworry
29-05-10, 17:19
in that case try to distract yourself and see if it gets better. i bet my last dollar it will start to improve then. trouble is us people with health anxiety become obssesed by these things which makes it worse.

zippy
29-05-10, 17:35
I keep thinking its my lungs.

anthrokid
31-05-10, 06:32
It happens to me all the time. I think it's mainly just the we have so much awareness about our breathing. If we didn't worry about it or focus on it we would be fine. Mine feels like my lungs just aren't big enough or that they're blocked so they can't take in all the air I need. I know this isn't true, but that is how it feels like. The more you focus on something different the less you'll be aware of your breathing :)

springblossom
02-06-10, 13:06
Even when I'm not stressed I have this.

For weeks and months on end I have globus (lump in throat) and the breathing issues all at once along with tightness in my chest.

Do you breathe through your nose or mouth?

zippy
02-06-10, 13:27
Through my nose. My lungs just feel odd.

ladymama
02-06-10, 13:34
Thank goodness I have put a few posts about this on here and have had no reply, it's just good to hear others have this, I feel I have to take a deep breath all the time even when I am having a fairly stress free day and I have pain in what feels like my lungs sometimes I can distract myself but a lot of times(usually at night) I feel like this can take over all I know is this never turns into anything really bad and its just something that I seem to have to go through. Some advise I did have about the lump in the throat feeling was to try and relax your tongue, this does seem to work. Good luck

springblossom
02-06-10, 13:38
we're here for each other.

I found this helped me: http://www.bp.edu/AboutBr%20What%20is.htm

I still battle with it though.

Are we all holding in our tummies to fit into summer clothes? I do this (even though I'm slim) and find it interrupts peaceful breathing.

Breating exercises do NOT work for me, they overfocus me on my breathing.

satsang8
02-06-10, 13:39
Are you a smoker? I am and i have become obsessed with my breathing because it feels like i am not getting enough oxygen, or breathing like i used too. I think this was when it really stuck, the thoughts about breathing. the thought that you cant breathe makes you worry about breathing, which is fear. then the fear takes over. ST. Teresa of Avila said that when she stopped worrying about her health her health problems went away, or the attachment to thought about our health problems goes away i mean. The attention is focused on the fear or the action(breathing). When the attention is placed on the spaces between the thoughts you will see that you are not the thought, and if you take a leap of faith and trust this, then when it comes back it mite trick you into believing it again, you remember with the same tool that is tricking you into believing it. funny. space between thoughts not thoughts. patience.

zippy
02-06-10, 13:43
I used to smoke but stopped 10yrs ago i am 40.I dont feel its just hyperventilating as i gat a pain in my back,fatigue,loose bowels,nausea etc.

springblossom
02-06-10, 13:43
i agree with the above.

breathing is automatic, beyond our control, do not control it, allow it to be free

I know this but wht can't I apply it!!!!!!

zippy
02-06-10, 13:55
Its freaking me out because its there all the time now. I am getting a chest x ray on monday and i am glad but also scared incase i have lung cancer.

belle854
02-06-10, 14:49
Hi Zippy, I know how this can feel like you have a breathing problem, like there must be something wrong but there isn't anything wrong, the doc has checked you out. If you put your attention into your breathing your breathing starts to become shallow and your feel out of breath and like you can't breath. If this happens take a moment to sit and and do some breathing exercises, breath in for the count of 4 and out for the count of 8, you will start to feel better and your panic will become more calm.

zippy
02-06-10, 15:06
Yes i know the doc has listened to my chest and took my blood oxygen levels but i am not convinced there isnt anything going on. My back aches when i breath but not everytime.