PDA

View Full Version : Swapping tablets

RachaelBroadstairs
30-05-10, 13:05
Hi, my current episode of depression and anxiety has been going on for almost three months now though seems like three years!! I started on St Johns Wort then switched to citralopam and then because I was not eating or sleeping I was switched over to Mirtazipine. I have been on Mirtazipine for 6 weeks now, did feel better for a couple of weeks but have been feeling bad again for the past week. Went back to doctors and he said that I could switch to Prozac but would have to wean myself off current tabs for a week, then obviously prozac would take time to work if they work! Need some advice really, should I switch over or perservere with current medication!!! Can't think straight!! Help!!!!!

JaneC
30-05-10, 19:34
Tough one, Rachael. I'm a fluoxetine user but I'm wondering if, as you seemed to get some initial benefit from the mirtazapine, it would be worth considering trying an increased dose of that rather than rush into another switch? Have you had a read at the mirtazapine section of the forum?

Not trying to put you off as fluoxetine's been good for me but I found it took a lot of patience in the early stages this (second) time around, and also needed to go up to a 40mg dose.

Best of luck in finding what's right for you x

rambler
30-05-10, 20:09
Rachael, I've been on Zispin (mirtazapine) for three weeks now. The first two weeks were brilliant. I was on 15mg and went from feeling very very depressed, paranoid and anxious to feeling great after the first few tablets. Then this last week my dose has been increased to 30mg and it's been hell. What dosage are you on, Rachael? I've been told that the Zispin will be highered once again next week to 45mg and am hoping that once I get on this final dosage I can settle in and some of the bad effects - restlessness, drowsiness, paranoia, and a huge craving for carbs - will vanish. I think I'll give the Zispin 6 weeks and if my head still feels so stuffy and I have a constant feeling of doom I'll ask my Dr to put me on prozac for a while. Prozac was the first ever anti-depressent that I was on but have since been on lots more. Jane, do you think I'd get any benefit returning to prozac or do you think it just wouldn't be enough for me?
I did hear that the higher the dose of Zispin the less likely you are to feel drowsy..I hope this is true as some mornings my head is so stuffy I'm not even fit to drive. And my carb cravings are really begining to depress me. Sorry if this post didn't make much sense but my head is all stuffy right now and I'm finding it hard to concentrate.
I hope you manage to find what works for you, Rachael. And if you do go back to the prozac could you let me know how you get on. Thanx x

JT69
30-05-10, 20:13
Hi Rachael,

I think you need to stick with mirtazipine for a while longer as I dont think you have given it long enough to work. What dose are you on? I'm guessing its 15mg and if so I was exactly the same as you. I had previously used citalopram but this past time it didnt help me so went on to mirtazipine. Was on 15mg for around 4 weeks started to feel better then dipped again so GP upped me to 30mg and that is what I have been taking for around 8 weeks now, yes have had blips but it seems to be the dose that suits me.

I actually think that you were experiencing side effects with the citalopram (all ones that I had couldn't eat or sleep) and if you had persevered you probably would of started to feel better.

To change yet again I think is too soon and am suprised your GP is suggesting that as early on as this.

It's your call hun but I would try and stick it out with the mirt and if you are only on 15mg then perhaps speak to your GP about 30mg, apparantly 30-45 is a thereputic dose.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
Jo.xx

rambler
30-05-10, 20:15
JT69, do you find you're craving for sweet thing with the Zispin?

JT69
30-05-10, 20:18
Hi Rambler,

What you are exxperiencing is quite normal...and it will pass, I felt the same when I went up to 30mg for the first week or so. It takes some time for the meds to settle and its not nice sometimes when thats happening but it does improve, you feel like its never going to go but it does and you just start to wake up and feel less drowsy etc. You should read through some of my threads...I was ready to give in at times too but hung out and then started to feel the benefit.

For me mirtazipine got me back to work and living a relatively "normal" life again. I had been off work for 5 months and had thought I would never ever get my life back.

I hope you too feel better soon and the benefit of the meds kick in.

Take care.
Jo.xx

JT69
30-05-10, 20:20
Hi Rambler, Yes I did but it too will settle. I did gain some weight probably around half stone which I didnt need cos over-weight in the 1st place but I am just worrying about my mental state at the moment....will worry about the weight later.

Jo.xx

JaneC
31-05-10, 11:15
Prozac was the first ever anti-depressent that I was on but have since been on lots more. Jane, do you think I'd get any benefit returning to prozac or do you think it just wouldn't be enough for me?

So hard to know rambler. I'd defo give the increased dose of mirt a decent chance (if you can put up with the side effects) - as Jo says, lots of chopping and changing can't be good for anyone. Why did you stop taking Prozac before? x

rambler
31-05-10, 13:53
I'm going to try and keep on truckin with the Zispin but the cravings are driving me crazy. I find that most things in my life are out of my control. I have a very understanding partner but he does tend to let me take a back seat, and although he means well, it just makes me weak. The only thing I have always been able to control on my own is my weight but now it seems as if the Zispin is taking even that away.
I really wish I could find a medication to suit me and make me feel semi-'normal'. I want to still feel some kind of anxiety as I feel that this is natural. I can't cope with the levels of anxiety I have at the moment though I don't want to turn into a zombie either..that's how Zispin makes me feel..like a hungry zombie!
I was taken off of the prozac as I had a breakdown almost two and a half years ago whilst taking prozac so it was figured that it wasn't working. I was on Efexor for two years and found that ok but then a while back I started to feel really bad again.
I just can't seem to get a balance.