PDA

View Full Version : fears over starting to learn to drive

vicky23
30-05-10, 15:45
hi I was wondering if anyone with anxiety manages to drive without problems?
I am 23 and have been putting off learning to drive for years but it would be a really useful tool for me to have however I don't want to cause myself problems by trying to do this. I don't want to add yet more anxiety to my life.
thank you in advance for any input:)

rambler
30-05-10, 16:18
Hi, Vicky. I passed my driving test three years ago (I'm now 36!) I always wanted to drive but suffer from so much anxiety and fear that I just figured I'd never learn. In the end we moved somewhere remote so I had no choice but to learn to drive. I now love driving so much. I don't get nervous at all and find it just all comes together.. Now I drive without even thinking.
You can take just an automatic driving test (that's what I did) It means you can't drive a manual car without having someone with you..but why would anyone want to drive a manual car when automatics are so easy to drive! I found that once I didn't have to worry about changing gears and clutches and things it just came naturally.
I really do think that if I can learn to drive then anyone can!! :D

vicky23
30-05-10, 16:22
thank you rambler that is really encouraging to hear :D

verity
31-05-10, 18:24
I know just how you feel vicky! I want to take up the lessons again but the anxiety keeps stopping me. I reckon I will do automatic as I am finding manual too much to concentrate on along with the anxiety! Give it a go, Im going to book a lesson soon, despite how scared I am!!