PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Effexor dosage

Si Kadelic
30-05-10, 17:17
Hi all.

I have been on Effexor 75mg since February and noticed a gradual improvement in my condition with no severe anxiety attacks and a general lifting in mood.

However when I seen my consultant for the first time they noted that 75mg was a very mild dose and that 150mg was the recommended dose for an adult male.

After mulling over this for a few weeks, and almost convincing myself that the 75mg weren't doing me any good despite the obvious improvements in my condition, I decided to go on the 150mg a couple of days ago.

The thing I'm wondering about is will there be any side effects? I was majorly concerned about going on Effexor initially because I'd heard about things about side effects, but I haven't suffered any side effects whatsover since being on them and I'm wondering will I suffer any when my dose is increased? Has anyone been in this situation before?

rambler
30-05-10, 18:17
Hi. I was on Efexor for two years and had no side effects at all. I did, however, feel that after two years the good effects of Efexor just stopped working so I stopped taking it. I did this without the advice of my Psych or GP and the effect of that was I felt suicidal and ended up in the Psych unit for a while. I've since been put on Zispin and am having problems with that. I think for me as far as all the different meds go Efexor was the one with the least side effects. I think 75mg is quite a low dose and I hope you get on well with increasing your dose.

Si Kadelic
30-05-10, 18:22
Hi. I was on Efexor for two years and had no side effects at all. I did, however, feel that after two years the good effects of Efexor just stopped working so I stopped taking it. I did this without the advice of my Psych or GP and the effect of that was I felt suicidal and ended up in the Psych unit for a while. I've since been put on Zispin and am having problems with that. I think for me as far as all the different meds go Efexor was the one with the least side effects. I think 75mg is quite a low dose and I hope you get on well with increasing your dose.

Cheers for the advice rambler, yeah I've been told that 75mg is a low dose so I should probably feel more positive effects from the 150mg's. It's gonna be some time before I'm coming off the Efexor but I'll definitely keep in mind what you said when discontinuing it.

Hope everything works out for you on the Zispin and once again thanks for the advice.

mabel
30-05-10, 20:17
I take effexor 150mg. I didn't have any problems increasing the dose from 75 to 150 at all. No side effects. I've found 150mg really good and has made a massive difference to my life! It takes time to take effect, just like when you start them. But its well worth it! Good luck!

Si Kadelic
30-05-10, 20:23
I take effexor 150mg. I didn't have any problems increasing the dose from 75 to 150 at all. No side effects. I've found 150mg really good and has made a massive difference to my life! It takes time to take effect, just like when you start them. But its well worth it! Good luck!

Cheers Mabel, when you say that it takes time for them to take effect how long are we talking about? Is it another six weeks or is just a matter of days, how will I feel in the interim?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions, I'm quite nervous about upping the dosage. :scared15:

mabel
31-05-10, 19:24
No problem! I know what its like when taking or upping medication. Always bother me! Fear of the unknown I suppose!

With me it took about 3-4 weeks ish. Its a bit like starting them from new, but without the side effects! know people who have improved quicker though. I felt no side effects with it or anything! (apart from a bit of a dodgy tummy, but it didn't bother me!) Stick with it! I've found them a great help! xxx

mumoftwo
08-06-10, 20:28
Hi this is my 1st time on this forum. Ive been on 75mg of venlafaxine for 4 weeks and seen no improvement in my anxiety/depression. I contacted my pdoc today and he has told me to increase my dose tonight to 150mg. Was just wanting others experience of changing from 75mg to 150mg..... how long did it take to help..... same side effects as when i started the 75mg (nausea, dizzyness and generally feeling unwell, this lasted for about 12 days!!!)

And more importantly, DID IT WORK FOR YOU???

Any information at all would be brilliant.

Many thanks