PDA

View Full Version : Fear of public speaking is affecting my career

emmab
30-05-10, 19:26
Hi, it's kind of embarrassing to admit this but I am really scared of speaking in public. In a social or informal context it is fine, and I am pretty outgoing. However, in a formal, presentation or meeting style setting I am very intimidated and it hampers my ability to contribute or present.

I find my breathing rate quickens, which in turn affects my speaking. It is noticeable and embarrassing in that respect and it also makes me hard to understand.

I have tried to analyse and rationally think through the process but still have had no luck overcoming the fear. I would appreciate any helpful tips on medication and other coping mechanisms. Positive thinking and breathing are ones I am trying, but I feel medication might help reduce the learned panic reaction in situations.

I have just started a new job which will require more public speaking - I don't want my fear to stand in the way.

Thanks for any help or advice :-)

Emma

KK77
31-05-10, 00:55
Welcome to the forum Emma.

This is something that many people have problems with and can actually be controlled effectively. Firstly, don't let yourself be rushed. When you feel the panic feeling coming over you make a deliberate effort to slow down. This will give you time to think and not stumble over your words. I'm in a job where I have to speak/present all the time and if someone rushes me I slow down. So what if I speak for 7 mins instead of 5? Remember that other people will also be feeling nervous. They may hide it better than you or be slightly less nervous but it's still nerves all the same. If you learn to recognise this in other people it will give you a boost and you won't be concentrating on yourself all the time and feel like it's just you. Most people are nervous in new situations but as you adjust to this way of thinking your confidence will grow.

There are some excellent books/CDs by Paul McKenna who I rate highly and Dr Claire Weeks' books are also very good.

Medication-wise, antidepressants are commonly used along with benzos (not recommended), but you could try Rescue Remedy to take the edge off anxiety which is natural and available in chemists.

Personally, I think that understanding the root-causes and dealing with them through self-help is the best option - along of course with experience.

I hope that helps somewhat and I wish you all the best.

Antipodes
31-05-10, 06:07
Hello Emmab,

Melancholia has sound tips. It is normal for people to be apprehensive and anxious about public speaking. There are additional strategies you can consider ... like join a toastmasters club (they're regualr people just like us), concentrate on breathing using your diaphragm to avoid hyper-ventilating. Rescue Remedy may be helpful but if you have an anxiety disorder there is a non-benzo anti-anxiety med called Buspirone. I use this and it is very helpful. Other options are doing a Dale Carnegie Course, Self-Hypnosis or a peer group. The point is you are nexting about a future event and it is very possible to overcome this. Then you will have a newly learned habit of being normally relaxed once you have a couple of experiences. Hope these additional ideas are of some help. Good Luck.