PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Remedies

Ma Larkin
07-02-06, 12:32
Hi Everyone, can anyone recommend alternative herbal remedies for anxiety? I used to be an extreme panic attack sufferer a few months ago. I haven't had a severe attack for a few months now, but constantly have this anxious feeling. I can only describe it as "twice as hard to breathe than normal". I am currently taking Diazepam 2mg when necessary, but would really like to come off them and take something more "natural". At the moment, like I say, its purely the breathing I am struggling with. I live in the UK (I know some things have been banned over here that are still available in other countries). Any advice would be most welcome. I've tried Rescue Remedy which lasts about a minute with me and Kalms haven't had an effect on me.

Thanks, Les

vernon
07-02-06, 16:26
Hi Lesley, I don’t blame you for not wanting to take diazepam as they are very addictive, but ok if not taken to often like an emergency. I have tried most things but am now on an anti depressant called Cipralex. I got recommended it from a few people on this site. I didn’t really want to go onto medication but was going through quite a rough patch and they have helped me quite a bit. Have you tried valerian or St Johns wart? They are about the only herbal meds I know about. You will get lots of help from people on here and I hope you do find something that will help you soon. Take care. Vernon

Ma Larkin
07-02-06, 16:32
Thanks Vernon, I was thinking about Valerian, I have mixed feelings about St. John's Wort (can't even remember why, think a friend of mine had a bad experience with it). I've gone 2 days without diazepam now after being on them for about 12 months. I am as anxious as hell but am thinking now that I took them as a comfort. Like you say they are addictive, but i've coped 2 days with no more effects than what I normally have so i'm wondering why the hell I took them now and if they really did do anything at all for me. I think it might be in my head that I took a tablet so I should be calmer. I do need to change my thoughts but a CBT assessor said I didn't need CBT. I'll see how I go on for the next few days; see if I can cope without any meds at all, if not, I might give Valerian a go. Thanks, Les.

nomorepanic
07-02-06, 21:38
Lesley

Look under the Natural Remedies forum on here cos there are loads of excellent posts that you could read through

Nicola

Meg
07-02-06, 22:49
Lesley

I went from valium to valarian tincture, which I took in great swigs when desperate

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
07-02-06, 23:14
Meg the best ever thing I tried was the Kava kava for anxiety but now its banned - I don't suppose you know if there is any fresh news on this do you???

Pig xx

vernon
08-02-06, 11:16
Hi Les, Sorry to hear about the CBT, seems a bit out of order to me how they can say you won’t benefit from it? Why don’t you discuss this with your GP and ask what other type of help is available? How can anyone say what you will and won’t benefit from without trying it? Take care. Vernon

Meg
09-02-06, 18:41
Piglet,

You can still buy it online if you wanted to be sneaky.

I don't think its up for review till late in 2006 but I may not be totally up to date.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?