PDA

View Full Version : citalopram first weeks

shaun78
31-05-10, 14:05
hi everyone,i've just signed up to this great site, i,ve been prescribed 10mg of citalopram by my doc for anxiety,i,m on day number 7 now and my anxiety seems worse than before,my doc said the first week or so could be rough.just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences on these meds. many thanks.

KK77
31-05-10, 14:27
Hi Shaun78

Stick with it mate; it can be a rough ride for the first few weeks until the med settles and starts to kick in. Many of us have been there and I know what the increased anxiety is like... But remember that it's just a phase and will pass. Don't make the mistake of giving up too soon.

Welcome to NMP and good luck.

shaun78
31-05-10, 14:35
thanks for the reply mate the encouragement is good ,the doctor gave me diazepam to take with it but i dont want to go down that road.thanks

rambler
31-05-10, 14:35
Hi, Shaun. I don't take citalopram but I did start taking Zispin three weeks ago. The first two weeks were great but now these past few days I seem to be worse than before. I've also been told to 'stick with it' and hopefully it'll improve. I know it's hard and every day I expect to see an improvement and then none comes.

So..... stick with it! :)

shaun78
31-05-10, 14:42
thanks rambler let me know how u get on.:)

KK77
31-05-10, 14:47
Hi, Shaun. I don't take citalopram but I did start taking Zispin three weeks ago. The first two weeks were great but now these past few days I seem to be worse than before. I've also been told to 'stick with it' and hopefully it'll improve. I know it's hard and every day I expect to see an improvement and then none comes.

So..... stick with it! :)

That's our slogan here Rambler! The problem is that not giving a new med or dose time to work is the cardinal sin. These drugs take a long time to work (fully at least) because they're changing your brain chemistry. I think a lot of us want instant results which is understandable given the circumstances.

I recently upped my dose and it seemed forever before I started to feel better. But patience does pay off.

So stick with it!

loulabella
31-05-10, 17:56
Yup - I've stuck to 10mg Citalopram and have been through the roof anxiety wise, but now the calm is setting in :) Hang in there, I nearly didn't! x

saltydawg
31-05-10, 18:07
Hi Shaun, I'm on 20mg a day and the side effects have been horrid, the full monty for me. This is my 7th day and yesterday for me was beilliant, but today I cam crshing down and its my worst day yet. Don't try and fight the symptoms, go with the flow and I have been told (fingers crossed) they side effects ware off and you feel great when it kicks in.
Good luck mate!