PDA

View Full Version : Question re: lightheadedness

sedalia
31-05-10, 17:17
I know that lightheadedness is a very common sypmtom of anxiety, and I understand why I am lightheaded when I go out, as I am agoraphobic, but why does the lightheadedness sometimes not go away once I am back in the "safety" of my home" and when I am relaxed? How is it that anxiety-related lightheadedness can still be there even when we are at our most relaxed? If I could understand that I might not fear it so much.

gypsywomen
31-05-10, 17:20
If we could answer that we would be able to control it ,,i know its awful one of the worse symtoms

nomore
01-06-10, 10:16
Does the light-headedness maybe remain because the sensations of what if felt like to be outside are still around? Your body reacts in certain way to the signal you are giving it, including producing certain chemicals. Most times your body will require some time before it gets to its normal state of being, it rarely happens in a split second, or even minute.

Think about what happens when you get startled by someone. You get startled and then you realise that it was just your friend behind you, you just didn't know that they were there. Even though you now know that you are completely safe, you may feel the effects of being startled for a couple of minutes; elevated heart rate, sweaty palms, chills down your spine etc.

Or maybe, is it fear? Fear of the experience which you've just had or fear that you will probably experience the same sensations when you go outside the next time? This may happen at a sub-conscious level, so you may not realise that this sort of thought process is going on.

What are you thinking about immediately and shortly after you get home?

sedalia
01-06-10, 10:51
Yes that makes sense, Nomore, it probably is the subconscious fear of how I will feel next time I go out. In the morning I'd got my husband to wait in the car whilst I popped to a couple of shops alone (I know it doesn't sound much but it is for me!) and I felt uncomfortable and lightheaded the whole time, but that's usual for me whilst I'm out, especially in a shop on my own. When I got home I felt relaxed and decided to do the ironing, nothing to worry about or be stressed about, but the lightheadedness seemed worse. I think after every little achievement it takes it out of me and I often feel worse rather than better. I start thinking, "well I managed another small step today so how come I don't feel as good as I should, what's the point in making the effort etc etc"? You are right, after that level of anxiety whilst I was out, I shouldn't expect my body to return to normal straight away as soon as I walk through the door. Thank you for helping me see that and to understand what's happening. It seems so logical when it's explained like that! You have been a great help x

nomore
01-06-10, 11:31
Glad to help. :)
If I may say one last thing, gaining control of your mind and conditioning it to behave in a certain way is not easy (i.e. not feeling lightheaded when you go out). It takes time, it takes persistence and it takes dedication. Even thought you may feel like you are going nowhere, every time you walk out of the house you achieve a small victory, be it an imperceptible one. Eventually all of these tiny victories will add up. Don't let setbacks stop you either, they are a part of the process as well. No matter what happens, just belive in your ultimate goal, for example; "being able to walk outside freely".

helluvafella
01-06-10, 22:57
I would have thought that the light-headedness remains because of the build up of CO2 in the blood through hyper-ventilating. It will pass.

cymraig_chris
01-06-10, 23:43
Post removed by author

Nattyburt
01-06-10, 23:50
hey, im light headed so much that im actually freaked out when im not! i get it constantly when im at home, its just because i dont breath properly. dont worry about it too much, it wont harm you in anyway. horrible but not dangerous.

x

sedalia
02-06-10, 08:39
Hi and thanks everyone for your responses. I know I shouldn't dwell on it or try and find a reason for it, I just thought that if I knew why it happened it wouldn't bewilder me so much...like the claire weekes books explaining why we get the symptoms we do, it helps us not to be scared of them.