PDA

View Full Version : Whether to worry...

Raindrop
07-02-06, 16:18
I haven't been here for a while - I've been feeling like I've been really beating my anxiety. I'm sorry to only come back when I'm on a downer, but I'm not sure what to do.

For the last 2 weeks I've been getting a heavy, tight feeling in my chest, sometimes I get cramps (dull ache, not sharp) at the top of my chest, and when I think about it too much, or sometimes just randomly, I get very breathless and feel like I'm not getting enough air. It happens on-and-off, not constantly. It's really scaring me.

Last year a similar sort of thing happened (around this time) - only the sensation was slightly different. I made so much fuss I ended up in hospital, and screwed up my Uni exams because I was so behind. Nothing was wrong with me.

But this time feels different... what we all say, right?

Anyway, I'm 20, and I don't drink or smoke. Part of me knows this must be just anxiety, that I'm fine, but I'm not believing it properly. It's making me so miserable, and I just want to forget about my breathing and concentrate on getting better again!

Please, is this just another symptom of anxiety?

Thank you for listening.

jackie
07-02-06, 16:28
rain drop i truly mean this when i say if i had a penny for every time i said " this feels different "i would really really be a rich woman .

it is so frightening when it is different but you are not alone.
you have been doing so well ,just pick up your claire weekes book if you have it and accept the sensations that you no are due to stress

good luck

jackie

alexis
07-02-06, 20:35
Hi Raindrop, I would guess this is anxiety related but if you are worried, why not go to GP and ask advice, for your reassurance, take care.xxx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

Basha
08-02-06, 09:41
hi Raindrop;

I totally understand where your coming from. I get chest pain all the time from anxiety, and when it feels different, or more intense I get really scared. Just keep reminding yourself that you are only 20, in good health, so there is no reason why you would have one! Also, go to your GP. I went last year, and had a bunch of tests done including an ECG and some blood tests. Although I still get chest pain and still suffer from anxiety, knowing that there is nothing physically wrong with my heart really helps. My doctor told me than there are loads of muscles surrounding the heart, and when people get anxiety, they tense up and can become inflamed, causing chronic on and off pain.

Try to relax and do some stretches and deep breathing. Doing some yoga helps me.

Hope this helps. xxx