PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming fatigue and pain- WHY??

nursey4
01-06-10, 00:39
Hi there,

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. For the past week I have been so unbelievably tired! Last night I slept 10 and a half hours and today I still feel like I can barely move my body. I got my dog out for a little bit but that was all I could manage. I went off Prozac about 7 weeks ago. The plan was for me to start on Effexor but I only took it once and then decided to try it med free. I have been off and on meds (mostly on) for 14 years. I was fine med free up until about a week ago when I started with this crazy fatigue and sort of general overall body soreness. I have definitely had some anxiety but I think I may be experiencing depression for the first time. Lack of motivation, pain, memory loss, fatigue...
But then I am also very scared that I have cancer or heart failure or something. All these horrible things start to go around in my head about illnesses. I am scared that maybe I am dying. Maybe my body has had all the anxiety it can take and now it's just giving up, I dunno.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I feel so desperate here!

RLR
01-06-10, 02:40
Your symptoms would be entirely consistent with the type of rebound observed in SSRI treatment cessation, which can last for up to about 12 weeks before you begin to turn the corner and feel like yourself again. Having said that, however, if there are personal issues which are capable of inducing clinical depression, then you may need to consider the Effexor or suitable alternative.

Your description would be inconsistent with an oncological process, so from that standpoint you can take a breath and relax.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

nursey4
01-06-10, 04:41
Thank-you RLR! I went to a walk-in doc tonight as my GP is on holidays. He basically laughed at me. Truly! I mean, it did make me feel a little bit better that he was so light-hearted and thought it was ridiculous how concerned I was about my health, but come on- have a little compassion for someone who is freaking out!! He feels I may have some depression and do have anxiety (obviously, I have known that for nearly 8 years!)
I do feel more relaxed. He suggested I start the Effexor tomorrow. I realize Effexor can initially make you feel more anxious and I don't think my body can handle more anxiety right now and I am always very scared at the thought of trying a new med.He also believes the Clonazepam I take at night (.75mg) is affecting my "sleep architecture" - ie- no REM sleep.
So RLR, do you think I should just wait it out another 5 weeks and hope I feel like myself again or go ahead with the Effexor?
Thanks!