PDA

View Full Version : scared to take pregabalin

JT69
01-06-10, 17:35
Any help advice would be greatly apprectiated. I am currently taking mirtazipine 30mg for depression/anxiety which has helped me enormously and allowed me to go back to work after 5 months off. Unfortunately I keep having periods of anxiety which sometimes lasts right through the day and is not at all nice. I went back to my GP last week and have been given pregabalin and have been told to take 50mg 1st week then 100mg 2nd week then 150mg 3rd week. After reading some of the posts on here am too scared to take it plus this last week I have been absolutely normal???? But have started to suffer again with the anxiety. I am off for a week next week and was hoping to last out (or suffer) until then as I dont want the side effects of dizziness to stop me going to work...I have a deadline to meet this week and just cannot be off.

Anyone please help????

The dizziness is it copeable??? When I started on mirtazipine I had drunk/dizziness and found it impossible to work, so dont want to go down that road if it can be helped.

Thanks. JO.

KK77
04-06-10, 01:07
I hope you're coping with the anxiety Jo. The dizziness shouldn't be a major problem on such a low dose. It may not be a problem at all. In any case, it passes quickly. I know I wasn't prescribed it primarily for anxiety but I think it's helped me more than any other med I've been on. Unfortunately all meds have some side effects but if you look at the overall picture, compromises must be made.

If you feel more comfortable starting it when you're off work then do that, but please give the pregabalin a chance. It may be the med that finally offers some respite to your anxiety.

Let me know how you get on and you're always welcome to PM me if you need advice/support.

JT69
04-06-10, 09:41
Hi Melancholia,

Thanks for that....I have decided to start taking it from Sunday when I start my weeks holiday....you know what its like cos I have read about the dizziness I will be waiting for it and will probably just make my anxiety worse!!! Madness!!!

I definately have to do something as I have been up and down again this week with the anxiety....Tuesday I had to travel to London on a course, I felt absolutely awful but I did it...God knows how. You look back and think how the hell did I do that but somehow you do cos you have to. I know suffering yourself you will know what I mean!!!

Do you suggest I take it at night along with the mirtazipine initailly or in the morning??

Thanks for helping me with this and for your encouragement!! How are you feeling now??

JO.xx

KK77
04-06-10, 18:15
Thanks Jo, I'm a lot better. I reduced my antidepressant back to 50mg and so far I'm OK. But I'm used to the ups and downs now...

Hmm, because pregabalin is a short-acting med and you're really supposed to take it twice a day, I'm not sure about what time you should take it tbh. To be on the safe side, it may be a good idea to take it at night in case you get the dizziness. Also it can make you drowsy initially so again taking it at night would make sense. I take it morning and night (which you'll be doing soon too). It does take a few hours to kick in and it should help fairly quickly (like benzos), not weeks and weeks like SSRIs etc.

Sure you'll be fine though and I hope it helps you.

JT69
05-06-10, 06:32
Am so glad you are feeling alot better Melancholia. Thanks for your advice. I had a pretty awful morning again yesterday but again by afternoon and evening was o.k again and was sat watching tv last night thinking how could I have felt like I had yesterday morning??? So strange how these things effect us. Again I feel crap at this moment but have work today so hopefully the distraction should help!!!

Will let you know how I get on when I start taking the new meds, its a relief to know that hopefully it should help fairly quickly and I wont have to wait weeks to feel I difference, well am hoping so anyhow.

Just one other question, any weight gain with these?? Not that I really care, I just want to feel o.k. again but just wondered as I gained around half stone when going on Mirtazipine!!! Blooming meds!!! Lol!!

Take care
Jo.xx

Sleepless999
05-06-10, 17:11
Hi JT69 - I just had to reply to your post, because I have been on Pregabalin for severe anxiety and panic attacks for over a year, and it is amazing! The only side effect is feeling a little unsteady to begin with, but that soon goes and the benefit far outweighs the side effects. I wouldn't be able to have a panic attack now - it seems like a very distant dream - I was taking Mirtazapine as well, but am now on just Pregabalin - go for it - it's a very clever discovery, and I was addicted to benzos. so needed something non-addictive as well.

JT69
06-06-10, 10:23
Hi Skippy, Thanks for replying....I have started to take the meds took 50mg last night and then again this morning. My GP had said to start on 50mg a day but I (naughty I know) have decided to take it in the morning and at night (this was surposed to be what I had to do on week 2). I have a week off work and wanted to get it into my system whilst I'm off. Could I ask what dose do you take?? And can you remember how long it was before you started to benefit?? My anxiety is there as soon as i wake up and I spend alot of the day fighting it off. Am not having a very good time of it at all at the moment!!! Thanks again for the encouragement. Jo.xx

KK77
06-06-10, 15:00
How are you doing Jo? So you decided to bite the bullet and take it twice a day... I think you did the right thing personally. It's meant to be taken like that and I think once a day would have given you withdrawal symptoms after 12 hours.

JT69
07-06-10, 10:41
Hi Melancholia,

I feel alot better today. Yesterday was a bit awful but I think it was due to the anxiety rather than the meds. I have not felt dizzzy just a little more tired and last night I slept for almost 12 hours. What do you think re: increasing to 150mg?? Do you think I should do that this week or wait until next week?? I looked it up in mims and it says the starting dose should be 150mg?? I think my Gp was probably trying to minimise the side effects. I am so hoping these help me...the fact that I feel alot better today is giving me the confidence that it could happen.

Thanks for supporting me...it really does help.

Hope you are doing o.k.

Jo.xx

KK77
07-06-10, 16:51
Hi Jo

Yeah, I really don't think anything below 150mg will cut it with GAD. It's really good news that you haven't had any major side effects. You should feel reassured about that. Allow a week before increasing to 150mg - don't feel you have to rush. Let the med get into your system and settle somewhat first.

I'm OK thanks. Went out over the weekend and it really took it out of me but I'll be fine.

I replied to your PM too.

JT69
08-06-10, 10:27
Hi Melancholia,

Well....wait for it....I actually woke up feeling "normal" this morning...no anxiety at all?? I am not counting my chickens just yet or shouting from the roof tops (dare not temp fate) but just feel lucky to wake up without that dammed anxiety!!!

I hope you are over your weekend out?? Too much drink and late nights I bet???

Take care
JO.xx

KK77
08-06-10, 15:07
Well done! Keep up the good work Jo. It's great to hear that you're feeling so much better ;)

JT69
08-06-10, 15:23
Melancholia, I wouldn't of done it without your help!!! Firstly for suggesting the drug in the first place and then encouraging me to take it. Thankyou for your support.

Jo.xx

JT69
09-06-10, 12:29
Hi Melancholia,

Today I feel totally different...eek!! Quite tired and spaced out?? Do you think this is normal after taking for a couple of days and feeling o.k.??? Glad that I am not working as not sure if I could of feeling like this....hopefully will settle before I go back next week or maybe its just one of those days...I sure hope so...will have to take it easy today!!

At least I dont have anxiety though so I guess I need to be grateful for that and stick at it until the side effects settle cos I would rather feel like this than have that!! LOl!!

Hope you are having a good day.

Jo.xx

KK77
09-06-10, 13:33
Quite normal Jo. Don't worry about it though because tiredness, "spaciness" etc are common side effects that pass. It could also be other factors so try to bear with it. The main thing is that your anxiety is better so that's encouraging! One thing I would say though is don't increase until these side effects pass and you feel somewhat normal lol.

I woke up feeling a bit rubbish today, but then I have got a lot going on... I get a lot of tiredness and sometimes it's a real struggle but onwards and upwards I say ;)

You put your feet up and pamper yourself, Jo. Sure you'll be just fine.

JT69
10-06-10, 11:45
Well day 5 of my taking pregabalin....feel awful again today...Tuesday must just of been a good day!!! I dont think its the pregabalin thats making me feel this way just the usual anxiety and just dont want to do anything!!! I think the fact that I have a week off hasnt helped, the weather is awful and its just so boring!!!

I guess its good that I have started to take the meds but I feel kind of spaced out and not with it and the fear of doing anything sets in.

I am totally committed to persevere as I need to free myself from this dreadful general anxiety and feel the meds once at 150mg and been taken for a while will do the trick.

I think cos am stuck at home I have no distraction and that is why I feel as I do!! Shame I cannot enjoy the time I have off....hopefully by the time I have my summer holiday I will be much better and be able to enjoy that break!!

Hope you are feeling better today Melancholia.

Jo.xx

JT69
12-06-10, 09:30
Well, decided as I have no side effects to increase my dose to 100mg at night and 50 mg in the morning....my GP had suggested taking 50mg morning, mid day and night but I may forget to take the mid day dose so decided to add it on to the night dose. Didnt sleep too well last night and have woke up with awful anxiety again!!!

Just hope these meds kick in soon and help.

Hope everyone o.k.

Jo.xx

KK77
13-06-10, 00:22
Sorry you're feeling rubbish Jo. I've had the crappiest week ever and the footie depressed me further tonight...

I think you're better off following your doc's advice Jo: taking 100mg in one dose may not be the best idea but hey, you can give it a go! What if you set your mobile alarm for midday, then you won't forget?

Keep positive Jo - things can only get better (we hope!).

JT69
13-06-10, 10:25
Hi Melancholia,

Tell me about it....wanted to wake up to a win!!! Bloody England...why do they do this to us every time???

I am going to do as GP says...even though last couple days have taken 100mg at night.....feel total crap today again!!!

Hope you have a better week next week!!! Thanks for advice trying to keep positive but so hard right now!!!

Take care.
Jo.xx

JT69
13-06-10, 17:26
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is safe to take diazepam along with pregabalin??? I also take mirtazipine but know the two of them together are fine.

JO

jaded jean
13-06-10, 18:41
Hi Jo just looked it up on drug interaction site and you can take it:D
Jean

JT69
13-06-10, 18:59
Thanks for that Jean. Thank goodness.....lol!!!

Jo.xx

jaded jean
13-06-10, 19:07
No worries Jo you are very welcome:D

JT69
20-06-10, 10:50
Well quick update I feel is apparant.

Just finished a week of taking 150mg pregabalin and have started to pick up. Had the day from hell Wednesday but then slowly things have turned around and I hope things are on the up. Am not counting any chickens yet cos have done that before and gone backwards but am optimistic things are improving.

Have read and been told that pregabalin is not really very effective in doses of below 150mg so maybe that is why?? I have increased slowly and found that yes I have felt a bit shaky (still do just after taking the meds) and a bit sleepy but it is copeable.

Hope everyone o.k.
Jo.xx

JoRo
20-06-10, 11:12
Hey Jo
That's great news - know how you feel about counting chickens......... steady progress is the way to go I keep telling myself. Slowly but surely we will get there.
Have a good Sunday.
JoRo

Belfry1973
20-06-10, 12:15
Hi chaps

Have updated my diary if you are interested and pleased to say it is going quite well!

Bel

JT69
24-06-10, 11:57
Just a quick up-date. The pregabalin are really working. The last bad day I had was Wed 16th June!!! From then I just picked up and now feel that they are really helping me!! I did go back to see my GP last week and he said about taking an extra 50mg (presently I take 100mg at night and 50mg in the mornings) but I haven't felt the need to and I seem to have stabilized at 150mg. I now need to decide wether to come off the mirtazipine?? Am going to wait at least another week to make sure I have settled down then make a decision.

Hope everyone else doing o.k..

Jo.xx

jaded jean
24-06-10, 14:40
Way to go Jo!!.
Well done you hope it keeps going
:yesyes:
jean

KK77
24-06-10, 19:15
I'm really pleased to hear that you're feeling better Jo. I would stick to your current dose. You could ask for the 75mg capsules if you want but I don't think you should change anything atm if you're feeling well.

I've been getting a lot of daytime tiredness but OK apart from that ;)

JT69
25-06-10, 07:04
Hi Alex,

Glad you feeling better.:) Thankyou so much for introducing me to pregabalin.

Take care.
Jo.xx

KK77
29-06-10, 18:04
I hope no news is good news on the JT front? I'm pleased you seem to be doing so well. How have you been lately?

I reduced my dose of sertraline as it felt too strong. I'm biting a bit off the 100mg tablet at the moment hoping that it equates to about 75mg. It's something that people shouldn't try at home lol. I'll reduce to 50mg when I go on hol next week (all being well).

Keep up the good work Jo

JT69
29-06-10, 20:35
Hi Alex,

Yes am doing pretty good....had a bit of a blip yesterday (hopefully thats all it was) but today was o.k again!!

Glad you are doing well....bet you looking forward to holiday???

I am not reducing the mirtazipine for a couple of weeks but if I stay well I may try and reduce them down to 15mg......we shall see!!

Take care
Jo.xx

JoRo
30-06-10, 08:33
Hey great news Jo - well done you for sticking with it, long may it continue.
JoRo

KK77
04-08-10, 00:28
Hi Alex,

Yes am doing pretty good....had a bit of a blip yesterday (hopefully thats all it was) but today was o.k again!!

Glad you are doing well....bet you looking forward to holiday???

I am not reducing the mirtazipine for a couple of weeks but if I stay well I may try and reduce them down to 15mg......we shall see!!

Take care
Jo.xx

Had a lovely time Jo, thanks. Back to work now but feeling OK, touch wood lol.

So, how have you been? Do you think the pregabalin has made a difference?

JT69
04-08-10, 10:24
Hey Alex,

Have PM'd you with an update...glad you around again!!

Jo.xx

JT69
16-08-10, 19:56
Hi,

I thought I would update my post to help anyone on the pregabalin road.

I think they have made such a difference to me I am so glad I took them. I now take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night...yes I still have some anxiety but nothing like I did have. I have also managed to reduce the mirtazipine to 15mg and hope to completely come off them but need to visit my GP first to make sure he agrees.

I agree its better to take the meds with or after food as I struggle with anxiety first thing in a morning and often cannot eat and when I take the meds makes me feel spaced out etc and sleepy but when I can eat I feel much better after taking the meds, hardly anything to comment on.

Anyone thinking of going down the pregabalin road...go for it...the best thing I ever did!!!

Jo.xx

KK77
16-08-10, 20:06
Really pleased it's all worked out for you Jo. I know how anxious you were about it in the beginning and I think you were very brave in the way you handled it.

I've yet to come across ANY med which is a total "cure" but I must say that it's helped me immensely. Of course we'll still have good and bad days but life is like that.

Well done and take care.

petram
12-12-11, 16:51
hi guys , im off to the docs weds and looking to ask for these , i must admit im scared coz ssri , s gave me such anxiety that it led to me having pure o harm , i have been off them 9 weeks this week . and my anxiety n mood is stil very unstable :( iv perserveered for long ENOUGH now in the hope it would go away!!
so i do take the odd valum but they can make u feel a bit down after , and i dont want to become addicted to them ..
plz god they help xx