PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive behavioural therapy

shell24
02-06-10, 13:58
Hello everyone,

I am really interested to find out if anyone has had cognitive behavioural therapy. Does it work? What types of things are discussed and how you can see somebody for help!

Im a 24 year old who started getting panic attacks around 2 years ago, they are not everyday and i have learnt some techniques in controlling my heart rate etc but it still hits me. This utter dread that im about to die and my heart is about to shoot out of my mouth etc. I recently experienced one whilst on holiday in spain and it was great relief speaking to my family about it. I really dont know what the triggers are for mine and its something i want to get to the bottom of.

Look forward to hearing from you

Shelley

belle854
02-06-10, 14:36
Hi Shelley, Im having cbt at the moment, I was referred by my doc but there is a year long waiting list for cbt on the nhs. I suffer with panic disorder with agoraphobia which came on about 4 years ago, I was having alot of health problems at the time which caused the levels in my body to be out. Ive been seeing my therapist since November and although its not a mirracle cure I have learnt to understand what is going on with me abit more and im starting to make progress, some people take longer than others and I think im one of the ones that is taking longer. I find a big plus is that I can sit and pour my heart out without feeling im insane, its so hard to explain to familey and friends what your experiencing cos they don't suffer and don't understand. When I first went to the doc with my panic attacks and agoraphobia I was offer medication which I refused but then I saw a locum who suggested cbt and made a referral for me and I was added to the waiting list. There are also selfhelp groups which I attended only once but with work commitments I couldn't continue to attend but they were brilliant and I would highly recommend it. I hope this answers some of your questions.

shell24
02-06-10, 14:47
Thank you! that has certainly shed some light on it for me x

Vixxy
02-06-10, 15:02
Im seeing a therapist through the NHS, there was only a 2 week wait for me. So dont be put off asking your GP.
CBT basically gets you to look at the thought patterns when youre having anxiety. Its very helpful as it helps you to catch those thoughts before they cause any problems.

mabelina
02-06-10, 15:15
I had cbt some years back and thought it was brilliant and had never felt better. Two years ago though i started going "downhill" again and was accepted on a Condition Management Programme. I was really nervous going there as i would be with a class full of others in a simular situation but it was the best thing i have ever done. I loved every single minute of it and couldnt wait to go back each week and see my new friends. I can honestly say im a different person now :yesyes:

shell24
02-06-10, 15:22
Wow thanks guys....looks like its a great treatment, i definetely will enquire with my GP. I really didnt want to go down the medication route unless completely necessary so definetely happy to try this now.

jothenurse
02-06-10, 19:25
Shell - what are some techniques you learned about controlling your heart rate? I have been in the ER a few times, once with my pulse around 160. They say it is panic - my heart is fine. I also get some pounding after I eat, which is very scary, and I always have to try to distract myself from it otherwise I start panicking and my pulse goes way up.
Any help would be appreciated.

daybyday
02-06-10, 21:00
CBT hasn't really worked well for me, yet, I suppose. It may also be that I see a psychiatrist for what I thought would be counseling and a med. for anxiety and calm my heart rate.
I have read that psychiatrist are not into therapy like years ago. More med. now. And therapy is left to the counselors. I just don't know yet that my insurance will pay to see both counselor and the psych. Those two people are just fine with it and say it is done often.
If the counselor does the same 'just don't think that way' approach it won't help me.
I need someone who will listen and pick up on things I say, ask questions, and see a root issue that I can face. Much like that dandelion I pulled up today deep root and all. It was a good feeling to see that entire root out and gone, like a freeing experience. That is what I want someone to help me with for this anxiety.

doodah
02-06-10, 21:19
I had CBT about 4 years ago (for agoraphobia) and it really helped. Unfortunately my therapist had to leave her post and I wasn't passed on to anyone else. Since that time I've had major setbacks and also developed health anxiety. I'd welcome starting CBT again but I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to or not. I haven't seen my doctor for years so maybe it's time I stopped trying to cope on my own and ask for help.:shrug:

jothenurse
03-06-10, 01:21
Shell - can you share your techniques about dealing with fast heart rates? I really need help with that.

shell24
03-06-10, 02:44
Well personally and i say personally with a very strong undertone because i think everyone deals with things differently. If i feel a sudden onset coming and believe me i feel it, i stand up and start walking, i make sure to do things with my hands to almost occupy my mind elsewhere! i find walking and breathing deeply works very well. It still takes a while to come down but the heart is not a flicker switch.....it doesnt just turn on and off! At the end of the day if you went for a jog around the park.....your heart would beat very fast and you would not think twice because thats what happens during strenuos exercise. I think dealling with the irrational is the way forward. If i was to die from a panic attack i would certainly be dead now so its getting your brain to focus that way......YES ......THE HARDEST BIT

jothenurse
03-06-10, 03:33
Thanks

thetube82
04-06-10, 01:55
thats great Shell........you cannot die from panic or its symptoms!!......when you feel the symptoms come on why not try to make them worse!!

loving it Shell!!

shell24
04-06-10, 02:54
???????

Jrank1
04-06-10, 19:45
Shell24 I can honestly say that cbt is the best thing that ever happened to me. If you dedicate yourself to the exercises I am sure it will help you too:) Join a group if you can or read the cbt book by Sam Obitz and start doing the thought countering TEA form exercise in it daily and you will make progress faster than you thought possible.