PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - How Do We Know?

Ruby94
02-06-10, 19:26
Discussion Post.

HOW DO WE KNOW IF ITS ANXIETY OR NOT.
(MY ARGUMENT.)

Most of us, Use this site for one good reason. We have fear and we can share our worries and thoughts as well as helping others. Because the people close to us who don't have GAD/Panic Disorder! And they DO NOT understand SQUAT. Why I'm writing this? Because we all have our own story. Some have had Anxiety/HAD GAD - etc for 10 years others 2 weeks and so on. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Because, we can relate to the symptoms we experience. We can reassure each over and help each over until another attack comes along. And for most of us, its one big vicious circle. Doctors, Psychiatrists, Professionals. (Whatever) They can give us medicine to make us FEEL BETTER? they can talk to us but they could never understand if they haven't experienced an attack like ours before. The majority or people do not understand how it feels to be stuck in this tiny uncomfortable box labeled 'Panic victim' / Anxiety, Depression, - 'Victim' So its a battle to get through day to to without the help we really need. Which brings me to my point. 'How Do We Know' Now I'm not trying to frighten anyone if this comes across as 'scary',
But a general 'Panic Attack' How do we know if it is a panic attack, Or Anxiety, How do we know if it is anxiety or not? Because if we knew it was we'd be able to control it, Right? Problem Solved, we're Cured. But no. We could be standing in Tesco, bobbing along merely. And thenBAM A lovely visit from Anxiety and he brings a lovely 'headache?' Along with him. Oh palpitations too? And now we can't breathe. So, how does it occur, what happens to our MINDS when we're met by an attack. Its a tumor, its this its that. But those lovely professionals or the people close to you say 'ANXIETY' do they just feed us this to settle us, what if it was something serious. But as soon as we're DIAGNOSED WITH ANXIETY/DEPRESSION ETC. That how they know us my friend. Oh look its Sarah, yep she's having troubles breathing let me check the system 'tap tap tap' BLEEP. Aha, Sarah is an anxiety SUFFERER.

Ive had to drop out of school because of 'Panic/Anxiety' And Ive been given another chance, a place bigger than school 'COLLEGE' and i still have not gotten the help i need. I start in September and i don't consider myself any better, and if i fail college im the one to blame. Because i wasn't strong enough to make it. I want to do my best and i wont be able to because i still have Anxiety. And i think i always will because Ive asked for help and no one is moving for me. As soon as the balls out of my court the people on the other side lose the ball and i have to go find another and try again. See my point more clearly now? I bet you get fed up too. Just like me, its not fair and they wont help me, so do they help you?

I really don't have to go on to explain my point being. I'm just annoyed with people like us not getting the help we need, because most of us have great potential to do things for our planet. And we are held back because we are stuck on meds or stuck listening to people telling us to breathe into a paper bag. Why cant they do something about it instead of putting us on STANDBY. Because I don't know if its just me but all I've said sounds clear in my head.

THIS IS MY OPINION, MY ARGUMENT. Thanks for reading. Ruby.

LucyR
02-06-10, 19:55
Hi, Yes this is a very frustrating condition to have to suffer, there is no doubt about it.

sarah jayne
02-06-10, 21:07
I totally agree x

Going home
02-06-10, 21:17
Alot of people have suffered with the symptoms of anxiety for many years and I know that might not be what people who are just starting on the journey want to hear, but sometimes you have to face up to the fact that if we're suceptible to anxiety and panic then it will probably be with us at some point, off and on, throughout our lives. The key is to accept it as part of who we are, or accept that this is the way people like us react to stress or trauma.

When you're at the start of the journey you rail against it, you can't believe its happening and that its nothing organic or life threatening. Alot of us have been for many tests over the years and we're still here. We might not go for so many tests these days but we still suffer with the anxiety, and I'm not trying to make less of anything the male nmpers go through, but there is definately a connection between hormones and anxiety for the ladies...and this goes on more or less throughout our lives...PMT, pregnancy, peri-menopause and the menopause itself....life's full of hormones!

I do understand your anger Ruby, but you've already started on the road of not believing the doctors even though you've been reassured by them that you're ok. You can keep on at them for more tests if you feel they're wrong...and they have been known to be, but as someone who wasted her youth on the fear of illness and death, I would say learn to live with your fears, find your own way of coping and go on with your life in spite of them.

Find a medication or a form of treatment that suits you, or carry some props around for when you feel a bit freaked out, but learn to live with it best you can. Go to college, live your life, don't waste it on fear of what anxiety can do.

Take care
Anna xxx :flowers:

nursey4
02-06-10, 22:33
Hi Ruby,
I totally hear you. I have felt that way myself at times.
You have to remember how common anxiety is. I am a nurse and I work in psychiatry. I have had sooooooo many patients talk to me and tell me how they feel about their anxiety and depression and they tell me "But you wouldn't understand because you have never been sick." When I hear this, I either feel like laughing or telling them about my 8 year battle with anxiety, panic and agoraphobia. I NEVER can do either due to professional boundaries. I do tell patients that I know how horrible anxiety feels but I can't go into too much more detail than that. You don't know what your Dr., psychiatrist, or any other medical professional has been through. And they CAN'T tell you. I know many nurses and doctors who are on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. Remember, they (we) are people just like us.
Also, I think GoingHome said something along the lines of in the beginning you doubt so much that anxiety could be causing your problems. After many years of experience, you do learn what the symptoms are. Not to say that your mind doesn't go to "what if it's a heart attack, brain tumour, etc." but you do learn what anxiety is and how broadly it can affect you. I hope your anxiety gets better before you get very experienced with it.
Best of luck!

Anxious_gal
02-06-10, 23:55
well I know it's anxiety because I have had it my whole life and well I'm still here!
but each and everytime it's a scary as hell and it really really feels like I'm dying...