PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Depressants and weight

andrewjdavid2005
08-02-06, 00:39
How much can anti-depressants affect your weight? it just seems weird that 3 years ago when i stopped smoking i weighed about 10 stone, since then i have now been on anti-depressants for about 18 months i now weight 14 stone and i hate it and i partly blame the medication for this, i am looking to do more exercise and try and lose some weight but will be on this medication make it harder to lose weight?

chop
08-02-06, 03:07
I am a small fit person and I put weight on with anti depressants but I can remove some with exercie and exercise also helps the anxiety/depression in the long run.

It is unfortunately a side effect of the meds with most people.

I can still lose the weight with exercise though, just makes it harder.

Look at it in a good way, you can exercise more and feel even better due to the weight gain and be more healthy lol :)

Hope that helps
Paul

Learning to underreact

Phill2
08-02-06, 03:14
I've gained about 2 stone (10 Kg)
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

trac67
08-02-06, 08:49
Andrew,

I was on citalopram and I too put on weight whilst taking them, just one of the side effects of the meds I'm afraid.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Jenny
08-02-06, 09:07
I too put on over 2 stone whilst taking antidepressants. Now I am slowly coming off them, the weight seems to be going as well. I thing it is just par for the course.

Jenny xx

vorpalblade
18-02-06, 10:57
anti deps can be bad for weight gain, they alleviate part of your depression but then add to it by making you put on weight giving you something else to be depressed about! can't win can you!

Tomimo
18-02-06, 11:50
I've put on weight since taking the anti-d's. I'd like to blame them but I think it's more that I like food too much. The only thing is I find that that anti-d's make me care lass about being fat!

Annie x

Lottie32
19-02-06, 21:02
I've turned into ten tonne tessie since I've started my anti deps!

However, as my CBT lady said, better to be fat and happy than thin and dead! (I have known her for several years, and we have the sort of relationship where we can have a laugh - she wasn't being unprofessional).

I am coming off mine soon , and hope to have a bikini body by the summer LOL

Several of my friends who took them also put on weight, but lost it really quickly when they came. Knowing me I'll be the exception to the rule

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

Alexandra
24-02-06, 23:01
Hi Andrew

I do'nt think anti depressants effect our weight to much.

Im currently on a healthy eating kick ( I was told i should'nt call it a diet really) Anyway i have lost over a stone in weight now & the depressants i been alright with well the weight has been coming off.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

blondeangel
24-02-06, 23:42
Hi...
Most anti-depressants and medication for anxiety and panic can contribute to weight gain. It happened when I first went on them. For 3 years my panic attacks were very mild and I went off that medication, but the weight remained...I only gained like 15 pounds, but urgh that was enough for me. Now I am beginning to take my medication again, because my attacks have come back. Anyways....I bought some green tea capsules and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) capsules, and they are supposed to be really good for speeding up your metabolism and helping you lose weight, ofcourse that is if you eat healthy and exercise somewhat. They are all natural, so that is why I am trying them. I am also taking Ginseng, which helps with memory, mental alertness and energy, and it is supposed to be good for aiding in losing weight.
But you are not alone....it is a very common side effect of medication for anxiety and depression...unfortunately.
If my new method works (I am on day 3), I will report back! I just need to fit into a pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller!!! Herbal teas like green tea and peppermint are supposed to help too.
I hope I have helped.