PDA

View Full Version : Panic, anxiety and depression

Justme71
03-06-10, 14:27
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum having only just registered and introduced myself in the 'intro's' section.

Wasn't sure where exactly to put my post, but seeing as my 'panics' have been the worst symptom, I guess this is as good a place to start.

I was diagnosed with depression 8/9 years ago, but was probably suffering before that without doing anything about it.

Initially I was on Venlafaxine, but then changed to Fluoxetine. That worked really well for me and I got so well that last year following consultation with my GP I came off it.

I've now been off the Fluoxetine for 6-months and whilst I was doing okay, I think, this last month/6-weeks has been a bit of a struggle and I can't seem to pinpoint exactly why?:shrug:

I've felt ever so low on ocassions and have been in tears over what I'd consider are the most minute of things:weep: I've also had the most awful panic attacks as well:weep: culmulating in having one during the end/relaxation part in my yoga class this morning:weep: It's like having a jittery feeling in your tummy all the time and if 'it' (whatever 'it' is?) takes a hold that's it I go on to have a panic attack:weep:

When I feel like that, I think I must go and see my doc as soon as possible and go back onto the medication. However, once I've calmed down a bit and I'm able to rationalise a little better, I wonder if anything else can help?:huh:

I really don't think I've got any reason to feel like this. I thought I was coming to terms with the fact that life is full of ups and downs and was coping, I feel a bit of a failure if I do have to go back on the Fluoxetine but then I do know that there's nothing to be ashamed of in having mental health problems or taking medications for them.

I feel that I'm extremely lucky in life and don't deserve to feel like this when I'm so blessed:weep: I have a wonderful husband who is extremely caring and supportive - I feel like I'm letting him and everyone else down by being like this. We have fantastic holidays and I now work only 2/3 days a week in a profession that I love although my job can be stressful.

I feel like these panics just come out of nowhere:ohmy: like why on earth should I have one at the end of my yoga class? It wasn't our usual instructor today and okay it was a more dynamic class than usual but why? I wish I knew!:huh:

Yesterday morning I had one as well before work. Again I've no idea why?:weep: I managed to calm myself down enough to get ready, make the train commute and do my work fine. It's like as if when I'm on my own, with my own thoughts, these panics often arise? But then that wouldn't explain the yoga panic this morning would it? I'm at a loss :weep:

Although I wasn't rigorously recording when they happen, I don't think I had any last week but did have those jittery tummy feelings I'm sure.

The last panic attack was the week before, prior to going for a routine smear test and I don't know why. It's no worse than having a bikini wax and I know it needs doing and had told myself not to worry about the results/whatever will be, will be and we'll deal with the outcome as necessary. But the morning before I had several what I'd call chronic panic attacks.

Needless to say, afterwards I feel truly awful. Deflated, depressed, scared of when the next 'attack' will be, emotional, not with it fully, tensed up, not feeling like doing anything.

How do you all cope with this? Sometimes I feel theres no way out :weep:

Any help, tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

B xx

Justme71
04-06-10, 07:10
Minxiao I'm not so sure this is the right sort of place to advertise your goods and have reported your post appropriately.

jaded jean
04-06-10, 07:47
Hi Justme.
Firstly:welcome: To NMP .YOU ARE DEFINATELY NOT ALONE There are a lot of here who will support you . give what I have held as very good advice .Use the chatrooms as well there is always something going on there.
I was on fluoxetine for 10 years and it just finally 'ran out' But I had come upon the menopause as well so that was another weight on my shoulders.So now on my 3rd month of citalopram.
Do not ever feel guilty if you do have to go back on the fluoxetine do it!:winks: Its there to help you. My attitude was this is helping me and I will take it for however long I need it,
Go back to your Gp to discuss this , you might need a different A/D . BUT NEVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN. It sounds like your anxiety levels could be rising again ,do you practice deep breathing exercises at all??
I hope it has been a bit of help but there are as I put earlier a lot of people who will give their input and experience.
Stay strong.
Jean:hugs:

Baggie
04-06-10, 11:27
Hi Justme

Welcome to NMP. I've found this forum to be so helpful with lots of support and encouragement from people who know exactly what you're going through.

It's really hard when you feel panic, low and anxious. I think that the most difficult thing about it is how things creep up on you when you least expect them. I used to try and rationalise why I felt panicky or anxious, often feeling annoyed with myself as there would be no particular reason for feeling this way! Now, I try to take a step back and detach myself from it when it comes on and that way the panic doesn't take hold of me. I say to myself "oh here it comes again, but I'm not going to pay it attention" and I try to distract myself in some way, like make a phone call or go and do some baking (I find this helps me a bit).

Please don't be hard on yourself, you cannot help how you are feeling. Try to look upon it as a stage in your life that you are passing through to get to another, much happier side. It's just going to take a bit of time but you will get there. Just keep on posting when you need to talk about things. Take care. :) x

Justme71
07-06-10, 09:04
Hi Justme.
Firstly:welcome: To NMP .YOU ARE DEFINATELY NOT ALONE There are a lot of here who will support you . give what I have held as very good advice .Use the chatrooms as well there is always something going on there.
I was on fluoxetine for 10 years and it just finally 'ran out' But I had come upon the menopause as well so that was another weight on my shoulders.So now on my 3rd month of citalopram.
Do not ever feel guilty if you do have to go back on the fluoxetine do it!:winks: Its there to help you. My attitude was this is helping me and I will take it for however long I need it,
Go back to your Gp to discuss this , you might need a different A/D . BUT NEVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN. It sounds like your anxiety levels could be rising again ,do you practice deep breathing exercises at all??
I hope it has been a bit of help but there are as I put earlier a lot of people who will give their input and experience.
Stay strong.
Jean:hugs:

Hello Jean and thank you for your reply:hugs: I totally agree, there is nothing to be ashamed about in getting medication, it's just another tool to help us through difficult times.

Looking forward to chatting with you more, I've found this forum very helpful so far.

Justme71
07-06-10, 09:05
Hi Justme

Welcome to NMP. I've found this forum to be so helpful with lots of support and encouragement from people who know exactly what you're going through.

It's really hard when you feel panic, low and anxious. I think that the most difficult thing about it is how things creep up on you when you least expect them. I used to try and rationalise why I felt panicky or anxious, often feeling annoyed with myself as there would be no particular reason for feeling this way! Now, I try to take a step back and detach myself from it when it comes on and that way the panic doesn't take hold of me. I say to myself "oh here it comes again, but I'm not going to pay it attention" and I try to distract myself in some way, like make a phone call or go and do some baking (I find this helps me a bit).

Please don't be hard on yourself, you cannot help how you are feeling. Try to look upon it as a stage in your life that you are passing through to get to another, much happier side. It's just going to take a bit of time but you will get there. Just keep on posting when you need to talk about things. Take care. :) x

Hello Baggie and thank you for taking time to reply to me:hugs: It's so good to know that there's lots of us all experiencing very similar symptoms and we can all help each other out.

Looking forward to chatting more with you xx

Justme71
07-06-10, 09:12
Hi everyone, well since last week, I've had a good few days. I've read a lot of the information on here and took that into account.

I'm starting to think now instead of 'oh what if I have a panic attack', rather 'if or when it comes, I'll deal with it appropriately' and so far, so good but very early days.

I've also cut back on wine too:wacko: because I've come to realise the symptoms of hangover can exacerbate the panic symptoms too. I guess I knew this all along, I just didn't want to accept it.

I returned to the gym and was fine. I'm wondering if the panic at the yoga class last week was brought on by overstretching and possibly hyperventilating at the end?

I'm taking it all bit by bit. I managed to do the 'Race for Life' for Cancer Research yesterday with no problems at all so that makes me think all this 'anxiety/panic/etc' is all in my mind:huh:

I've been practising my breathing as well and have dug out a relaxation CD that I used to use lots.

Haven't as yet returned to my GP, will see how I go. I know that's always an option if needs be though.

Thank you for all your support, much appreciated :hugs: