PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling to cope with these anxiety attacks

phil06
03-06-10, 17:50
I'm really struggling to cope with them. I feel "unreal" day in day out..more I worry like a dimmer light the intensity goes up and up and up and the more weird I feel.

I came home from work and was sweating, restless felt out this planet. Had to take another diazepam and they ain't no long term solution.

I don't know how I can cope..I feel unwell, not alive, in a trance, foggy, dreamed, distant, feel I've entered the after life, fear I'll just snap..It's been weeks on end feeling this way now..books, healthy eating, new job nothing is working.

People will say it will go away this "depersonlization" but googled more serious stuff, been to a docs three times, nothing is working...I just feel safe in my house. :lac:

Kerry B
03-06-10, 18:49
I'm really struggling at the momement to, I have no life I am just surving, My Panics are ruling me and I cannot seem to stop.

I'm going to work, don't know how I'm coping its a real struggle. I'm sick of the dizzy and tingling fingers and all the otherv symptoms i'm convinced i have something wrong with me. Its really getting to me know.

I even had a Panic Attacks in the Doctors tonight.

gypsywomen
03-06-10, 18:54
this is the thing axciety does makes us rush to get home ,,feel like if we go out something bad will happen ,, its nasty,,,we feel like an outside force is controling our mind ,but bottom line is its all i our mind the more we think about it the worse it gets ,, you will get better neer stop belieing no matter what dont gie in to these feelings be strong ,,i hae been there ,,

micheal88
03-06-10, 18:55
im there now mate... hang in there... for me the summer makes it worse

phil06
03-06-10, 19:25
It's awful...I know some say it's depersonlization but I feel out my body for hours and hours all day at times..few moments of normality...

I have no reason now to be as anxious. There's always little stresses but I fear going mad. I feel so detached from reality when I am out..

It won't go away...! :ohmy::lac:

Jannie2948
03-06-10, 20:20
The feeling is terrible. I've been ok for a few months now but on the train journey home from work tonight I had a really bad one. I was sweating so much, dizzy, shaking, tingling and just felt terrible and I haven't had one like that for ages. Still feel out of it now as though I am not really here and that things are going on around me and I'm spaced out but I'm not if you know what I mean!! Oh how I hate this bloody illness, this is the first bad one I've had for some time and I thought I was past them, but they creep up on you and whack you when you are least expecting it.

Jannie x x

phil06
03-06-10, 20:23
The feeling is terrible. I've been ok for a few months now but on the train journey home from work tonight I had a really bad one. I was sweating so much, dizzy, shaking, tingling and just felt terrible and I haven't had one like that for ages. Still feel out of it now as though I am not really here and that things are going on around me and I'm spaced out but I'm not if you know what I mean!! Oh how I hate this bloody illness, this is the first bad one I've had for some time and I thought I was past them, but they creep up on you and whack you when you are least expecting it.

Jannie x x

Is it normal to feel depersonalized for weeks on end..or months though? :unsure:

Jannie2948
03-06-10, 20:43
That I don't know! I know that when I was first ill with this I felt like that for quite some time and it was a good few months on meds until I felt 'normal' again. This is the first time I've felt like this for some time so I'm hoping it will pass. Are you on any meds?

phil06
03-06-10, 20:58
That I don't know! I know that when I was first ill with this I felt like that for quite some time and it was a good few months on meds until I felt 'normal' again. This is the first time I've felt like this for some time so I'm hoping it will pass. Are you on any meds?

Yes Diazepam.

People keep saying it's that that causes it but I went two weeks I was so nervous I thought my heart was away and I got rushed to the doctor who said it was a panic attack..was shaking and very numb. I don't like taking the Diazepam but there's time's when the symptoms go too far and I have to get instant calming.

The symptom seems present on and off if i'm taking meds or not. I've not had it as strong so it's been hard, I failed my driving test so been a bag of nerves..that was 2nd since failed 3 times now. I feel it may be some kind of nerve anxiety thing, making me less able to cope and allowing these symptoms to keep at me. :unsure:

I definitely feel very nervy alot.

jothenurse
03-06-10, 22:44
I don't think the diazepam is causing it - how much do you take? It is more likely the intense anxiety that causes the feelings of unreality.

phil06
03-06-10, 22:58
I don't think the diazepam is causing it - how much do you take? It is more likely the intense anxiety that causes the feelings of unreality.

Yep just had a good think about it tonight..thinking maybe counselling? I have alot on my mind and need to talk to someone.

crazyhayz
03-06-10, 23:06
Phil06 -

I had DP for 4 months.. trust me, its normal for anxiety sufferes. Totally and utterley normal. Its normal to constantly feel out of this world etc, so honestly, dont worry. xx I was prescribed Citalopram 20mg & Diazepman 2mg to be taken as-and-when (only when feeling the onset symptoms of anxiety/panic). I was taking both these meds for my anxiety/depersonalization/derealization, and they helped massively but i did feel kinda 'dependant' on them, like I felt i needed them. Since i started my CBT 3 months ago, i still take my 20mg Citalopram but havent had to take any diazepam for about a month now. The CBT, combined with my meds, have put me on the road to recovery, and although i do get the occasional blip, I have accepted my anxiety disorder, and have my life back. CBT was my absolute saviour, and group therapy helped alot too!! I think its all about re-training ur brain, and thats what CBT does. Anxiety is all about ur thoughts. And thoughts control ur feelings, feelings control ur actions. Thats what i learnt. And its helped me so much. I seriously had the worst depersonalization ever, I was bed-ridden, having panic attack every 10 minutes, i called countless ambulances out, I ended up cracking up and had a complete nervous breakdown. But im proof u can get better. And u will :) xxx

phil06
03-06-10, 23:20
Phil06 -

I had DP for 4 months.. trust me, its normal for anxiety sufferes. Totally and utterley normal. Its normal to constantly feel out of this world etc, so honestly, dont worry. xx I was prescribed Citalopram 20mg & Diazepman 2mg to be taken as-and-when (only when feeling the onset symptoms of anxiety/panic). I was taking both these meds for my anxiety/depersonalization/derealization, and they helped massively but i did feel kinda 'dependant' on them, like I felt i needed them. Since i started my CBT 3 months ago, i still take my 20mg Citalopram but havent had to take any diazepam for about a month now. The CBT, combined with my meds, have put me on the road to recovery, and although i do get the occasional blip, I have accepted my anxiety disorder, and have my life back. CBT was my absolute saviour, and group therapy helped alot too!! I think its all about re-training ur brain, and thats what CBT does. Anxiety is all about ur thoughts. And thoughts control ur feelings, feelings control ur actions. Thats what i learnt. And its helped me so much. I seriously had the worst depersonalization ever, I was bed-ridden, having panic attack every 10 minutes, i called countless ambulances out, I ended up cracking up and had a complete nervous breakdown. But im proof u can get better. And u will :) xxx

Thanks that's interesting to hear. When some talk about depersonlization not many have it quite that bad. Before Dizepam I was nervy and bedridden almost.

Did anything trigger it like stress? There's CBT but the doctor was not keen on referring me for more help. I think a counsellor of some kind may help as talking eases it.

crazyhayz
04-06-10, 00:03
My anxiety disorder/depersonalization was triggered by depression (mostly postnatal), that wasnt picked up or treated. I had alot going on with my relationship aswell that also was a factor in it. Plus I did used to take some drugs which im convinced played a part, but im told otherwise as i only took them on the very odd occasion. Anyhow, I dont understand why gp wasnt keen on referring u for more help? Counselling is a good route, but they arent always trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and that is what you need, in my opinion. Talking is such a huge stress-reliever. I dont think alot of ppl realise how much 'weight' they carry on their shoulders, talking these stresses through with someone helps alot, in my personal opinion. I understand for others it doesnt help much atall. But CBT helps ALOT with anxiety. Im yet to find someone who hasnt benefited massively from having it.

Ur doctor should be supporting u anyway, and should be very, very keen on referring u for as much help as u possibly need.. have u told him u want cbt?? What meds do u take?? Try ur absolute best to not worry about these attacks, they are not doing u any harm healthwise, which is what i used to worry about. I know how u must feel as i had DP aloing with lots of other AWFUL anxiety symptoms, for months, still do!! Though ive just learnt to control it and accept it,in some respect. And acceptance is the key to curing anxiety. U need to push ur gp for any help that is on offer out there, its his 'duty' to do so at the end of the day. U obviously need it or u wouldnt be writing this thread. Bottling things up will never help, so its good ur on here chatting, but CBT/counselling will be brilliant for you, so definitely push for this. With the DP and anxiety attacks, as harsh as it may sound, they wont get better until you accept that they WILL go away eventually, but just not yet. Thats what i always said to myself.

It also takes alot of patience (something i havent got lol), but just tell urself ur NOT ill and its just adrenalin in ur body that making u feel this way, and you WILL get better, things just (annoyingly!) take time.

The fact that i cracked up and had a nervous breakdown, and im sat here now shattered after a nice long day out with my son feeling better than ever, should show u there is light at the end of the tunnel, it takes alot of hard work and perserverance (cant spell lol) but as long as u keep telling urself your getting better everyday and 'oh well its just anxiety, who blimmin' cares, i come out of it every time so give me what ya got!!' lol. Its nothing to worry about, and as everyone knows on this site, the more you worry the more nasty ol' symptoms u get! rubbish i know lol.

But take care and good luck to you, ul be fine and plz, dont worry yourself. You'll get there! :)

phil06
04-06-10, 07:02
Try ur absolute best to not worry about these attacks, they are not doing u any harm healthwise, which is what i used to worry about. I know how u must feel as i had DP aloing with lots of other AWFUL anxiety symptoms, for months, still do!!

Thanks. I kind of worry i will get brain damage but I also fear going mad, losing my mind, snapping or not knowing who I am and being put in hospital which keeps my anxiety going.

crazyhayz
04-06-10, 12:37
Yep lol, gosh u sound so much like me all those months ago, i thought i was suddenly guna start hearing voices and end up in a mental hospital, i seriously did. I thought i was losing the plot! But its not good, and the more u keep thinking like this, the worse ul get, hence why i ended up having a complete nervous breakdown.. Uve got to understand that if u were guna 'crack up' then u wouldnt be aware of these feelings ur having. Ud think ur thoughts and actions were NORMAL and not WRONG or SCARY or WORRYING. And as for brain damage, u cant get brain damage from thoughts and anxiety, so that one can completely be pushed aside. U do know who you are, u have a very good brain in there and u clearly are aware of all of your thoughts and know which ones are good/bad, etc etc, this shows ur very healthy 'upstairs', lol. Try to get as much help as possible. Keep me updated! Take care :)

Guttersnipe
04-06-10, 13:09
Hi, i too am having problems with anxiety, but have found "Mindfulness" very effective. its not designed to relax you, but to switch off your auto pilot and take control back. it has helped my anxiety to the extent that i will be returning to work soon after a 10 month absence. I was referred through my doctor.

phil06
04-06-10, 21:52
So how likely is a nervous breakdown from constant depersonalization?

I'm trying to find some good tips...can anybody give me any? It's right to say I am ok but don't feel it I guess...