PDA

View Full Version : Phobia of balloons and basically loud bangs!

pinkstar780
08-02-06, 11:33
HI there.

I am sorry if there has been a post like this previously as I haven't scrolled back but I doube very much there is.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there with the same phobia as me, I have a fear or loud bangs, i.e. fireworks, balloons popping, party poppers, I used to bad with christmas crackers but can actually manage to pull them now!
I know this probably sounds crazy to some people but I hate it, when I go to parties, I just pray that there is no balloon's in the room and if there is that they are up high so no-one can pop them, because then I am ok, its the fear of them popping that I hate, I also pray that there are no party poppers too. When I find myself in situations where there are balloons or anything with a loud bang, I get really hot and panicy, for instance I was in Pizza Express on Sat night and there was a group of people in there that were playing with balloons, I was out with a group of friends and my friend Nic had to tell them to stop as her friend had a phobia of balloons (me), I was really embarassed and felt so stupid as I have never come accross anyone like myself, and they probably thought I was ruining there fun.....

I was just curious if anyone else has had this same fear? or know of anyone?

[xx(]

Piglet
08-02-06, 11:57
There is deffo a thread on here about this - Nic/Meg will come along and link you to it I'm sure.

I know a couple of people who have this, particularly with balloons and they are not even very anxious sorts.

I am not scared of balloons in themselves but I do seem to jump out of my skin at any unexpected loud noises so I am obviously quite a jumpy person.

Well you would expect a Piglet to be wouldn't you.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

trac67
08-02-06, 12:00
Hi Pinkstar,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I am sure you are not alone with your phobia of balloons and loud bangs. It is a case of facing your fear and overcoming it, this may sound hard, but it does work.

Take things a step at a time, and I am sure you will get there.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

KITTY_001
02-01-07, 23:40
ugh i nearly pass out at load bangs its horrible when ever a load bang or noise happens horrible images pop into my head it scares the livin day lights out of me

Rennie1989
05-01-07, 21:15
I hate balloon! I refuse to touch them or allow them to be anywhere near me. I don't know why =S

PanickyPolly
13-01-07, 15:32
Hate bangs too. Especially thunder. Thunder gets me in floods of tears.

ade
21-01-07, 16:12
i have a multiplicity of noise phobias,like computer mouse clicking,breathing,eating,keybord tapping,game console controllers
all sorts of things,and it makes life very,very hard,i am lucky to be a partner in my own business and surrounded by kind caring friends who are very understanding and accomadating.my mother is utterly terrified of thunder (she cites living in liverpool during WW2)
kindest regards ade

Karen
21-01-07, 18:57
Hi All

This is a more common problem than most people realise, ranging from full blown panic attacks at certain noises, to sensitivity to any kind of noise.

The Noise Sensitivity (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/hypnotherapy/noise-sensitivity.html?1388) hypnosis download could prove very helpful in dealing with this.

For more severe phobias seeing a hypnotherapist could help. There is a treatment called the Rewind Technique (http://www.rewindtechnique.com/) which is very effective for dealing with phobias.

The Rewind Technique (Fast Phobia Cure) is a quick and effective method for overcoming phobias and the unpleasant feelings associated with trauma. Effectively the process re-educates the brain to feel comfortable with the subject or situation that caused the phobic response. There is a description of how it works here (http://www.psychotherapycenter.com/nlp_phobia_trauma_ptsd_treatment.html). I have seen this treatment in action with people cured of fear of heights among other phobias.

I hope this helps.

Karen

For a moment you were with me
For a moment you were mine
Then the darkness comes and takes you far away
Before I even said goodbye

ade
24-01-07, 16:02
have downloaded the above and will let you guys know how it goes
x ade

ade
24-01-07, 21:44
well i have tried the download,almost out of desperation,i could no longer bear the sounds around me.i found it very very good.and i am a self help cynic! very relaxing,informative and,ultimately,reassurring.
you need a quiet time to do it (not always possible with a young babba!)
but i say thumbs up,good value.
all the best honeys
ade x

Sophie McFlish
21-05-08, 20:23
HI,

Until i got to the age of about 10, i had a HUGE fear for bangs whether it was fireworks or crackers. i couldn't go anywhere near balloons and if they pop i would hide crying for ages lol.
it got so bad that just the sound of when you crack appart yoguort pots was unbearable.

im not so bad now though. im still jumpy to unexpected bangs -(which i hate) and im still conscience around balloons. Plus- i hate thunder and lightning but appart from that i managed to get over my phobia- not sure how. Maybe i just grew out of my phobia.

soph xx

lou11827
06-07-08, 22:54
Hi
I have just joined this site tonight and came across your post. I couldnt believe what I was reading as I have had pretty much exactly the same experience! I am petrified of bangs, in particular FIREWORKS and Ballooons. I was out with some friends at Frankie & Bennies and we were sat next to a childrens party who were playing with balloons. I didnt notice them at first but then the children started popping them. It was unbearable! I got up and went to the toilets in tears as it affected me so much! My boyfriend had to ask them to stop as I had the phobia, not only is it affecting me horribly now its also embarassing. I feel stupid as Im 22 and I feel its hard for people to understand, many people I tell at first find it funny & think Im joking. (Untill they see me around balloons or fireworks).
Fireworks are also a massive problem, Ive had the phobia for as long as I can remember & thought I would have grown out of it but it seems to be getting worse!! New Years this year, I had a panic Attack and couldnt breath! This was in my flat with the bangs going off in next doors garden!! I honestly dont know what to do, it controls me completly during Bonfire time and new year. Have you come across anything that helps at all? x

Cathy V
06-07-08, 23:16
Hi to all the people who have posted answers to this thread. I find it very interesting. Ive never had an actual phobia about noise, in that ive never had a panic attack...well except maybe with the thunder thing, but like alot of anxious people i can be sensitive to noise. But it just goes to show how varied and complex our anxieties really are, and through nmp, ive learned to be much more tolerant of other peoples fears. Sometimes you can be so focused on your own anxieties, that you don't realise how others are suffering with theirs.

I can see that there are links for you to look into...nmp never ceases to amaze me.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

Tom_M
07-07-08, 21:23
There's only two phobias that we are born with. The fear of loud noises and the fear of falling, the rest we just acquire. But I must admit that I don't like the sound of sirens from police, ambulance, or fire brigade. It more often than not means that someone is seriously ill or there's been an accident. I guess I'm just relating to a passed experience which involved something like that and it brings it all back to me.

Tom

Snowshadow
17-07-08, 21:21
Finally someone with the same phobia as me... balloons and loud bangs. Apparently when I was a baby, I definitely can't remember this, someone popped a balloon by accident in my face. Just the sight of a balloon almost makes me stop breathing... or did. I am slowly learning to overcome this, of all people my granddaughter helped me??? I still don't like balloons that are too "full" though... because I know they have more of a chance of popping. My poor kids never had balloons at their birthday parties. And yes, I hated those Christmas crackers you pull and fire crackers... anything that makes a loud bang.... definitely still try to avoid them if I can!!!

andrea568
30-10-08, 00:10
Hi, I am absoloutely terrified of Balloons, when they're moving, still, popping, being squeakily rubbed!! eeeuuuggghhh!!!! so much that I can pass out, I'm a narcoleptic and seeing a ballon can give me an attack. I am also terrified of clowns with the same effect. I find them incredibly sinister and totally freak out if I see someone dresssed as a clown.
I have tried that therapy where you face your fear but I just passed out.

Andrea xx:unsure:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

didi26
21-11-08, 22:55
Hi, I too am terrified of load bangs. I hate balloons especially when they are being blown up or played with, I seem to be waiting for them to pop and have to prepare myself. I love looking at fireworks and can watch them outdoors but only if they are quite a distance from me and I have to be listening to my ipod. I dread thunder and will if I have to hide in the cupboard under the stairs. I would really like to overcome this I am 48 and have hated them since someone popped a balloon by my ear when I was young. I find it very embarrassing around christmas when there are parties and balloons(the long ones that make horrid noises when you let them go) are around I can get in a right state. Infact my dad also has a fear of loud bangs and thunder but having gone through a war and having to endure bombs going off around him, I think he has been somewhat desensitised. I hate it when people don't understand what it is like they think I am silly, sometimes my family upset me because they seem to think that getting over it is easy. Anyone any ideas on how all of us who suffer this dislike can rid ourselves of it?????

EdwardP
24-11-08, 23:20
Hiya,

I am terrified of blowing up a balloon. When I was younger I was blowing one up for a party and as I was doing it my ear popped and I became worried that I had damaged it. Ever since then I won't go near them. I associate blowing up a balloon with damaging my ear drum.

Pebbles
25-11-08, 22:00
hate fireworks i usally go to quiet country pub nov 5th to escape them each yr its great¬!!!!

terry1991
26-11-08, 01:02
hi, i have a severe phobia of balloons mainly but loud bangs as well.. except fireworks dont bother me (strangely). i've had the phobia as long as i can remember, i always seem to be in the worng place at the wrong time. like when i was at primary school, my class made masks using balloons, when my teacher fisrt said masks, i knew she ment balloons and then she handed out balloons to everyone in my class and obviously they were gonna pop at least one so i just had to slip away as i felt stupid to speak out, so all my life i have ran away from them so earlier this year i brought some balloons and tried blowing them up which took me ages to even dare do, then i tried to tie one and pop it (stamp on it) but i looked at it and what little confidence i had just went and i couldnt do it but all of a sudden it just burst for no reason and now im worse than ever, im only 17 so i cant afford hypnosis. im really stuck now what to do as now i have no confidence and very low and depressed due to emotional scars caused by this phobia and how i was treated at school. :(

clownsfreakmeout
03-03-10, 21:05
yeah i hate loud noises i was trying to keep it a secret but once i just coulden't ill tell you the story it was a saturday night and i was at one of my friends house we were having a party with balloons i decided to ignore them but then my friend took them all and started popping them i ran to the bathroom and bursted into tears:weep: unfortuneatly someone was in there and i had to explain to all my friends it was really embarrasing but the took it well and just stopped popping them and went back to having the party

P.S if anyone has a cure please tellme i'll do anything even facing my fear

i also hate fireworks and other loud noises

scaredofballoons
20-06-11, 20:48
I have a phobia! exactly the same: balloons ( I like foil ones ) , Crackers, Fireworks, Party poppers, crisp packet popping ect.... I am terrified but i am getting better in yr 1 i was scared of fog horns now im not and in yr 2 i was scared of staple guns but ive got over them. I am getting hyponotised in summer, i will surrport all my fellow phobia sufferers! I am becoming a phobia syciatrist, because i know what it feels like!!! Keep strong!!! :flowers:

brneyeinct
21-06-11, 15:40
I have had a fear of ballons and fireworks since I was little. I have tried to explain it my family and close friends. I feel like they don't understand. I'm happy that I found this website. I feel like I can talk to people who understand me. I guess my fear began when I was a kid. I remember my brother holding me down, while my neighbor popped balloons in my ear. They used a staple gun to make them pop. They must of had 20-30 of them. All my life, I have avoided places with balloons. I have avoided fireworks. I hate things with loud bangs. Last night was the turning point, where I decided I need some help. I went to dinner with my fience and my mom. He said how he was going to go to the fireworks. He said I should go, I said no I can't, I'm affarid of them. He said he would give me ear plugs or noice canceling ear phones. I told him I would try if I was able to not be so close to them. He says well I'm going to be as close as I can to them. The closer the better. When we have a family function, and they have balloons there. I have to go away. The only way I can make them see how I feel is telling them if someone is has a phobia of spiders, and someone spots a spider, someone one else will get rid of them for them. My family is just like oh deal with it. they won't take them away, or try to make me feel better. I feel like no one understands me.

Kiltieman
05-08-11, 18:36
I've never realised that so many people shared this phobia/fear of balloons and loud bangs. Since I was very young I've gone from being terrified of balloons to being able to accept them and enjoy them provided there is noone around who will burst them. It started the usual way when, as a boy, a big yellow balloon my mum blew up for me and then drew a face on, touched something sharp as i patted it about and burst with a terrific bang. From then on i couldnt stand being around balloons especially when anyone was blowing them up. Eventually as years went on i was able to blow them up and handle them myself. I only could blow them up to what i would always see as 'safe' size however as time has progressed i am now able to actually like having balloons around and enjoy blowing them up to their full sizes. I'm ok so long as I'm the one doing the blowing because its the big loud bang when they burst that scares me not the actual balloons. I have so many tales of when i've been in a situation where balloons were being blown up and i've been really sweating and scared but couldnt escape the situation.I understand and sympathise with anyone who suffers from this phobia and will be pleased to relate how i overcame it if anyone wants to know. In my younger days we didnt have the internet so i couldnt tell anyone about it and found that very bad. Not being able to share it because you think people will laugh is the worst thing about it.

Kiltieman
08-08-11, 10:58
Further to my post above my main problem now is being around other people blowing balloons up and anyone fooling around with them. My worst nightmare is being beside someone blowing up balloons and thats what I would like to overcome now so if anyone here has any suggestions then please let me know.

FriendlyBrunette1986
10-08-11, 12:28
I have exactly the same fear as you. I hate balloons, fireworks, party poppers, crackers, champayne corks. I feel for you as when Im around them I feel anxious, sick and worse and I have to be ready 2 run 2 the nearest exit!

Kiltieman
10-08-11, 18:53
Friendlybrunette hi,
Have you ever tried anything to overcome your fear of balloons and are you also able to blow them up/handle them yourself? Its just that I thought i was probably the only person in the world with this problem but it seems I'm not. I must admit I find balloons the worst while in the hands of others because most other things I can anticipate the bang coming but balloons just freak me because if I see someone blowing them up close to me i just know that at any time they can go bang. Also people making these squeeking noises with their hands, I know that the balloon will eventually burst. Be nice to have your views.

babywhale
04-04-17, 20:33
Hi, I too am terrified of load bangs. I hate balloons especially when they are being blown up or played with, I seem to be waiting for them to pop and have to prepare myself

I am somewhat phobic of balloons too. I definitely wouldn't want them near my face or person.

Goes back to childhood games, blowing up balloons to the point where they exploded in your face if you overdid it, and the shock you'd get from the loud bang.

I don't like the smell of latex either, and as i recall they were often lined with a white powdery substance. There was definitely a smell to them.

I must say if I'm in a restaurant, i do pick out the presence of balloons. If its not too close then i don't object, but if there was a taught, very full balloon at my table i would have to ask for it to be removed or be subject of a controlled explosion. I think its the whole unpredictability thing that gets me.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Further to my post above my main problem now is being around other people blowing balloons up and anyone fooling around with them. My worst nightmare is being beside someone blowing up balloons and thats what I would like to overcome now so if anyone here has any suggestions then please let me know.

That's precisely it. The unpredicability of it. You know there's going to be a bang but don't know when exactly. I bit like thunder and lightning. You know another flash is coming, but don't know exactly when, where in the sky, or how close.

Jull
05-04-17, 04:24
I'm not scared of it, just hate it so much. It cause me a heart attack when someone pop the baloons -_-

Kiltieman
29-05-17, 17:28
I know what you mean Jull. Its not a fear of balloons with me its the anxiety that the possible sudden loud bang causes thats my problem. If someone bursts a balloon near me then I do jump out of my skin whereas I have blownup balloons far too big on ocassions and they have burst in my face and its not so bad because Im in control of it. I dont like it though.

Rowleh123
29-12-17, 22:59
Hello,
I have just lost my job because of my fear of balloons. I've hated fireworks for as long as I can remember. Party poppers, Christmas crackers...even crisp bags...

HI there.

I am sorry if there has been a post like this previously as I haven't scrolled back but I doube very much there is.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there with the same phobia as me, I have a fear or loud bangs, i.e. fireworks, balloons popping, party poppers, I used to bad with christmas crackers but can actually manage to pull them now!
I know this probably sounds crazy to some people but I hate it, when I go to parties, I just pray that there is no balloon's in the room and if there is that they are up high so no-one can pop them, because then I am ok, its the fear of them popping that I hate, I also pray that there are no party poppers too. When I find myself in situations where there are balloons or anything with a loud bang, I get really hot and panicy, for instance I was in Pizza Express on Sat night and there was a group of people in there that were playing with balloons, I was out with a group of friends and my friend Nic had to tell them to stop as her friend had a phobia of balloons (me), I was really embarassed and felt so stupid as I have never come accross anyone like myself, and they probably thought I was ruining there fun.....

I was just curious if anyone else has had this same fear? or know of anyone?

[xx(]