PDA

View Full Version : Cancer fears

JNSmith
04-06-10, 00:40
Hello there, I would like to introduce myself under the name of JNSmith.
I have had a fear about cancer ever since both my grandfathers died of lung cancer on the same day.

Recently I have been reflecting on my short life so far. And thanks to a new found hypochondria, I haven't been the happiest camper.

I seem to pass phases. A few months ago it was stomach cancer. Then it was lung cancer. Both were very unrealistic as I did not smoke, and I keep a healthy diet strictly. But never has a fear hit me such as asbestos related disease.

Asbestosis, mesothelioma etc.

As a child I used to urban explore. I was a child, guess I still am. Stupid, foolish and curious. I found myself in old buildings a few times.

Recently discovering the dangers of asbestos, I begas to wonder. One fiber is enough to cause Mesothelioma, it's in the air naturally which is fair, but going in to old buildings, with the possibility of having asbestos is more than 60%. I fear I have been exposed to too much. I didn't disturb anything in them as far as I know though. I went in, took a peek, got out. If I'm lucky, and I don't want to bet on luck, I didn't disturb any fibers and should be safe. Though the buildings were not in good condition, which leaves me to more anxiety. So much so that every old house I pass by on the street walking, or concrete slabs on the pathway that are broken, I try to avoid.

I don't know what I want from here. But I just want to be sure, if anybody had similar experiences. I want to know if I've bit the bullet or if I missed it by an inch or a millimeter. I want some peace of mind, good or bad.

Thank you,
JNSmith

Vanilla Sky
04-06-10, 11:53
Hi JNSmith, and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

zippy
04-06-10, 12:12
I also have convinced myself i have lung cancer as i am breathless,no energy,no appetite,pain in back,hot and clammy etc.The doctor has listened to my chest and its clear,my blood oxygen levels are fine and my bloods are fine.I am having a chest x ray on monday even though he says there is nothing serious going on.

xfilme
04-06-10, 12:41
Its hard to give reassurance that will have any impact on you right now as I have been in the same position as you. My health Anxiety was as a result of my mum dying from cancer. It started out as breast cancer and spread through her bones, her liver, her kidneys and ended in her brain. Any close death is a reminder that we are all so mortal. My mum died two years ago now. If CBT is availible to you through your doctor, I would advised you ask for it, as for me, it was what put the end to my health anxiety. These days, its rare for me to even have the trigger thoughts about my health that would have previously made me panic. It wasnt the only thing that stopped it... time is the greatest healer. It takes time to deal with the shock and the trauma. It takes time for your immune system to regain full strength. It takes time to allow your emotions to stop controlling you and allow you to regain control of them. You will be fine. You are experiencing a bereavement complication. You should maybe try EFT. Check it out on youtube. Its a distraction technique you can use when you need to stop thinking and clear your head of thoughts that you do not welcome. It worked for me. Maybe it could for you too x