PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks: What ive learnt so far, and how I intend to stop them

Rory23
04-06-10, 13:01
Abit about me:

I have always been a sensitive person, sensitive to what people think about me and not able to take criticism too well. I was more confident before all this happened, readily wanting to present infront of people etc. However, i did tend to see the negative side of things rather than the positives. You may empathise with these traits above

My first panic attack happened when I was in a class of about 20 people doing a workshop for my job. Im 23, have just graduated and am in my first job. I was asked a question, and I remember thinking, what If I forgot what to say, it would be embarrassing. Bang I had a full blown panic, im sure you all know how that feels, and that’s horrible. I then did the same thing the next day in a job interview.

I then began to analyse, reflect, dwell, turn over in my mind everything that had happened in every minor detail. I did this so much that I convinced myself that I couldn’t speak infront of an audience, and I couldn’t do well at interviews. More analysing and worrying led to me finding it difficult to even talk on the phone and in person to my friends.

This has lasted 6 months. During which time I have learnt a hell of a lot about what im going through, and I would like to share all of that with you so that hopefully, you will recover faster and lead a happier life. This has really got me down over the past 6 months, but now I know how to change and be happy!

What ive learnt:

Panic attacks for me are all self-doubt induced. I.e. thinking 'I cant do this'
The more I think negatively about myself, the more I fuel my self-doubt.
The more I get panics, the more I fuel my self-doubt by thinking about it constantly
The more negatively I speak to myself, the more I feel bad, think the worst and thus induce further self-doubt.

So the answer is to:

Push yourself into situations that you find difficult, with confidence that you CAN do it. Take the positives from every time you do this. Even if you get a full blown panic, you haven’t lost anything from the day previously. But if your panics are slightly less powerful, then you have made progress
Recognise success. Even if the successes are small, do not focus on the negatives.
If you find yourself thinking negatively (which I used top pretty much all day) then stop yourself, turn it around and think, I can do that.
If/When you have a set-back, don’t let it worry you, just accept it and move on and try again. This has been the single thing that has stopped me improving, reading too much into set-backs.
If you find yourself thinking negatively, do not beat yourself up about it. That only makes you more self-critical and have more self-doubt that you will panic again.
Believe in yourself. Remember the positives in your life before the negatives.

I really hope this helps someone, its certainly helping me. Hopefully one day I will be able to talk freely in a number of situations without getting self-doubt creeping into my mind and panicking.

But I realise that to do that I have to take small steps forward and ultimately to believe in myself that I can do it. Of course I can and you can too!

Alison1
04-06-10, 13:21
Hey Rory,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info/advice. I have general anxiety so I get the negative thoughts, anxiety attacks etc that stop me from living the life I want. I'm only 25 and have had it for a few years now and although there I times I think I will be like this forever, I am learning each and every day about the illness and I hope it will help.

I have purchased a few self help books that help you to think positively and I am hoping to one day be able to do it automatically.

I'm glad what you said is helping you and I hope it continues to and that one day you won't have to go through this any more.

tonystalloney
04-06-10, 13:58
nice one, inner dialogue is key, and making the communication from feelings to language you understand is hard work and head work !!

The "anxiety", is about feelings, emotions, me trying to rationalise anxious situations, trying to find the language to translate my feelings in a way I can understand them which is tools I have learnt via counselling and is an on going procedure, however some occasions can leave me mentally paralysed focusing on one thing and my way of living changes, this has reduced over the years as I find ways to cope

My anxiety also includes obsessive thoughts, "what if", thinking over and over trying to resolve a situation, which is mentally and psychically exhausting when a situation presents itself or which is out of my control, if I cannot find a solution to get help.
It can lead to mood changes due to tiredness, depression and as explained obsessive mental activity

but you get there in the end, its all a learning curve and makes you stronger

Rory23
07-06-10, 00:52
Thanks for your responses Alison and Tony. Its amazing how similar peoples experiences are on this forum, and we can all learn from each other. But relaxing and being nice to yourself is key. We are all nice people because we are sensitive to others. So we should be pleased with that... rather than dwelling on the negatives!

Going home
07-06-10, 00:59
In the first paragraph you were also describing me :blush: and the rest of it ive learned for myself over the years too. Now its time to help others to see the light and hope that the penny eventually drops for them also.

Good post
Anna xxx

Veronica H
07-06-10, 07:50
:bighug1::yesyes: thanks Rory. This is so true and great advice.

Veronicax