PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained Tiredness

fizzandfiddles
04-06-10, 15:21
Ive been suffering from stress and anxiety the past 4 months.
But now I seem to be getting this overwhelming tiredness couppled with a feeling of light headedness like im drunk exept i havent been drinking. This has usually subsided with the "mind over matter" principle, once ive dragged myself out of bed and got in the shower thing are fine but today that just havent happened, I cant stop yawning and constantly want to lie down and go to sleep. Usually if i have somthing in the morning my brain manages to wake me up but this has now stopped happening and ive missed apointments.
Theres a lot of information about problems getting to sleep or light sleeping but i seem to have the opposite problem sleeping too much. Im now worried this might be a symptom of depression as well. I start a job next week, I just hope this wont affect things.
:mad:
If it helps im on Vitimin D and Calcium suplements prescribed by the doctor when i origeopalyreported being light headed 6 months ago. I usually go to bed between 11pm and 1am and make a conceous effort to read or write lists before i go to sleep.

nomore
04-06-10, 15:39
Prolonged exposure to stress and anxiety can have that effect. One of the explanations is that your mind is creating a sort of a protective barrier around it self. It might sort of being saying "I don't want to face another day under this kind of stress and anxiety. I want to hide". Well, sleep is one of the places where your mind feels comfortable, so, you feel tired all the time. Getting more sleep won't necessarily fix this since as soon as you wake up, your mind will get into the "I don't want to do this" state again.

I struggle with this as well and it can be quite annoying. Sometimes I feel like I am so tired that I am about to drop to the floor and go to sleep.

Try not to spend much time worrying about this though. Try to get as much rest as you can. During the day, even whilst at work, I tend to take a couple of 10 or so minute "time-outs", where I try to completely blank out my mind and allow my self to think about nothing. You'd be surprised about how refreshing that can be. :)

PanchoGoz
04-06-10, 16:59
Yeah get rest. Relaaaaaaaaax.
....You may be a bit low on iron if you aren't eating enough though..I was low on iron and I was so lethargic all the time, then I was perscribed some iron pills and I was right as rain. But I am NOT diagnosing you, I don't believe in that, just giving you my experience.
Also, is there enough air in your house? Try opening the windows a bit, or get some fresh air, see if that helps.

Daat
12-06-10, 22:29
Probably prolonged stress, maybe you should go back to the doctors with that in mind. 1pm is quite late for bed too - you could try a new sleep routine, there's loads of info on the internet. It could even be an underactive thyroid which is easily treated but it's probably not that.

suzy-sue
12-06-10, 23:40
It does sound like you are sufferring with the effects of stress .I was exactly the same .It is best to go to the Drs to get checked out tho .It will put your mind at ease if nothing else .Everything adds to the stress levels .Try to find a way to relax fullly at least an hour before bed each night ,either Relaxation or hypnosis cds or relaxing music that isnt too hyper .Use deep breathing techiques whilst listning and afterwards, have a nice relaxing bath .Go to bed at an earlier time each night and get some regular excercise each day .Even a brisk walk round the block for 20 mins will suffice .Your body will destress itself if you use these suggestions .Also try to set two alarm clocks for the morning and get up as soon as they go off .You will find after a while you will wake up without them .Avoid sugary foods as these induce sleepiness ,Sugars in fruit dont count .also eat healthy food and not too many carbs or fat .Water based drinks throughout the day will keep your body hydrated .Dehydration can make you feel tired and lethargic ..To prevent this from happening again read some books on Stress Management and learn to recognise the signs .Sometimes learning to say No and knowing your limits is all that is needed .You matter too ..Look after yourself ...All the best and hope you feel better soon ..Sue x