PDA

View Full Version : Cold and blocked nose?

phil06
04-06-10, 19:56
Does anybody find they are gasping for air when they have a blocked nose I feel a mix of hyperventilation and panic as I feel I can't breathe. I kind of blow and it makes it worse and I then keep blowing away constant. A suffocating feeling..

Anybody else get it? Vicks helps it but can't use it to work ect..:blush:

phil06
20-06-10, 22:56
Nobody else get this? Still got a cold and I get panicy as I'm sitting and feel I can't breathe to a chocked up nose..not badly blocked just all bunged up? The more I blow it sometimes it get's more chocked up.. :ohmy:

nikkinoo
21-06-10, 01:41
Hi Phil,
I panic when I have a cold and cannot breathe properly through my nostrils. I also suffer with sinus issues which makes things worse as too much nose blowing causes my nose to bleed. I have found over the years that a few drops of olbus oil popped into a bowl of hot water and inhaled gently helps to ease the congestion, thus reducing the panic. I also use Vicks, but the smell does linger a bit, so not always a suitable thing to use. "Sterimar" is a saline nasal spray which can be bought in most good chemists and also reduces congestion and clears the nasal passages making breathing much easier. I always have a bottle of this at hand as I find it the most successful remedy. I hope you feel better soon.
Kindest regards Nikki.

JoeKanon
21-06-10, 06:17
Hi Phil,

I used to have the same symptoms. My ENT told me that I have enlarged turbonates, a reaction to an unsually cold December (I live in the tropics) last year. I panic whenever they swell because the feeling is like being suffocated. It seemed to be the body's automatic reaction when it can't breath.

My doctor prescribed me with a steroidal nasal spray which reduced the swelling. They still swell occassionally, especially when the A/C is really cold and the air is very dry, but not as bad as before.

You should see your ENT. Maybe he'll give something for a long term relief.

phil06
21-06-10, 10:45
Does anybody get a nose bleed with the cold too? I hate the sight of blood and it makes me faint and more anxious. :blush:

melvin
21-06-10, 19:48
hi mate i to get a bit panicky when my nose gets blocked in fact its all ways blocked it makes me feel like shit i cant breath my chest hurts a bit just makes u feel totally unfit as well doc gave me some spray last wk but im sure it gave me a migraine and my breathing was really sensitive so i have to go back to see him