PDA

View Full Version : Depression from working in the slums of Kenya (I'm Australian)

AustralianInKenya
04-06-10, 22:33
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice (especially if you have also been through a similar experience).

I head an NGO here in Kenya and have been here for 14 months. We support and work with HIV+ men and youth (male and female) and sex workers and other vulnerable groups, with a particular focus on keeping a grass-root approach. This means I spend a lot of time in the slums (for those of you who know Kenya, I mean Korogocho, Kibera, Soweto and in Mlolongo) and meeting with the communities. I pay a particular focus on gathering first hand evidence from talking to individual community members (ordinary men, women, children, drunkards and those high from glue sniffing, as well as the [often corrupt] community leaders and local administrators).

This brings about many benefits, especially in terms of knowledge, understanding, trust and respect, as well as being personally rewarding. But the stresses of hearing these life and death / poverty line stories of heartache, pain, despair, frustration and anger and then added to that the "what can you do to help?" or "we need you to do ??? for me/us!" or worse the "you're not doing enough!" statements is very draining and depressing.

As much as I know I and my team and doing all we can, extra pressure is added in huge loads to constantly be raising (or begging) for funds/donations, raising awareness and trying to educate the public (both domestically and internationally) of the reality of the situation and what can be done (in a sustainable and accountable means), contrary to all the "aid is bad" publications that are all the rage at the moment (I urge all of these authors to spend months working in the slums so as to understand that foreign aid is only bad when given to the stakeholders that should ultimately be responsible for the problems, i.e. governments, when the poorest of the poor and vulnerable need the urgent and basic needs of health, food, safe water, shelter and education/training).

Anyway, I'll end that there as I could go on forever! What results from these stresses is a constant, nagging depression that can sometimes become overwhelming. In addition a feeling of hopelessness, awe and horror at the size of the problem and guilt that I can not be doing more to help.

Any advice on how to cope (that are cost effective) would be greatly appreciated! If you want to know more about what I'm doing, you can always go to our website, www.umayafrica.org.

Thanks and cheers!

Adam

eeyorelover
04-06-10, 23:29
Hi Adam,
The work you are doing sounds really interesting and rewarding when you are able to help people but it also sounds really emotionally draining!
Please remember all the good that you are doing and obviously you have a wonderful heart to be over there helping people who need it!
Take time off though to re-energize because a job like this could cause you to burn out quickly!!!!
Much respect and admiration to you from me!!!!!!!
xxx
Sandy

kath135
05-06-10, 01:25
I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here and if I am, I really am sorry and hope you get the help you need but is it help for you or money you need.

Going home
05-06-10, 18:35
Sounds like you're doing a great job but I'm afraid I feel the same as Kathryn, it does sound like you're advertising your need for funds, as most of your post was about your orginisation and how short of money it is, rather than your depression. But if you really are depressed, then should you be doing such a stressful job? perhaps you should think about taking time out and have a chat to your doctor about things.

You can chat to us any time about your depression and the job you do, but its never fair to ask people for money.

Take care
Anna xxx :flowers:

AustralianInKenya
05-06-10, 19:31
Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sorry if it sounded like asking for funds, that was not the intension of the post. Writing about what i do and the issues was a way of release.

It's one of the issues when you are doing a job like this - you are always aware of the desperate need of people here, and so naturally are always searching for funds. Raising awareness of the issues here, IS FAIR, it is always people's choice to give (time, support or funds).

The fact is that depression and stress goes with the job and it would be unnatural and I guess unhealthy not feel these emotions. But sometimes, like last evening, it all built up and one of the easiest ways is to unload it was online!

You can't talk to the "normal" / wealthy Kenyan's as they simple don't understand the issues and don't want to understand (most have never ever been to the slums here and know very little if anything of the life that the other half of Kenyan's live).

Many of us volunteers here (Kenyan and expats), meet and talk about the issues, but that can also lead to frustration and depression as you just go around in circles!

Burdening family and friends back home is also not nice and brings on extra guilt, and so online forums are a good way to release!

In short, the help I need is releasing the feelings of frustration and depression in a semi-anonymous fashion - "spilling my guts" as we say in Australia. Also, like I mentioned at the start of my first post, any advice on how to compartmentalize and deal with the daily emotions, especially from those who have been in similar or comparable situations, would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a good week ahead!

All the best, Adam

guitarpants
05-06-10, 22:51
As much as you don't want to, it seems like you need to step away from the situation for a while. Go back home, take a vacation. You're doing a ton already. No one can sustain that amount of stress forever.

Going home
06-06-10, 00:18
Adam

Sorry if I got it wrong, but at least you understood how some of us could be thinking the way we were thinking so thanks for that. Don't stop posting, if you need to talk then just talk, and if you need to speak to people who feel the same way with depression there are many here who will know how you feel.

Take care
Anna xxx :flowers: :welcome:

AustralianInKenya
06-06-10, 20:14
Thanks Anne and everyone!

Veronica H
07-06-10, 08:20
:bighug1:Hi Adam. You are doing a wonderful thing, and we are all agreed on that. In view of the grinding poverty and social issues you have described, it is individual successes which will be keeping you going. It is a very irresponsible charity which does not recognise the impact that this type of work has on its volunteers. There should be a way of rotating you all which allows for recovery, because it is a for gone conclusion that you will burn out....you are already on your way there. I think you need to put your own health first now and take a break. You have done more than most of us could ever do, and on the front line too. Be proud of that and get back to Aus for a well earned rest.

Best wishes and more hugs:bighug1:

Veronicax