PDA

View Full Version : Suffering with the heat?

Meltdown
05-06-10, 12:24
Anyone else suffering in the hot temperatures we are currently experiencing in the UK?

I seem to be constantly uncomfortable and on edge, and am suffering more palpitations than normal.

I haven't had a full-blown panic attack yet, but have the feeling that there may be one just around the corner!

Of course, the dread of the PA is probably making things worse. I'm sure that it is no coincidence that my panic attacks first started during a hot spell in 2005!

daydreamer
05-06-10, 12:33
yep Im suffering too! I find keeping a bottle of cold water handy is always a good thing, I also try and keep out of the sun, have a handheld fan might be an idea?.

The Raven
05-06-10, 13:56
I feel the same and I think there may be psychological as well as heat problems for us.

I think the sun brings out the smiles on the faces of those around us and everyone seems to be having a great time out and about. If you are not feeling so good because of panic etc that just makes it worse I think because you think 'it's sunny, everyone seems happy, why I am feeling so bad?'

Personally I love the theory of the sun but not the reality. In like it when it starts to cool down a bit but at the moment I am using the 'excuse' of the heat to stay in.

Hopefully Meltdown (an apt name sadly!!) how your feeling at the mo will pass and you will avoid the panic attack. And at least in the UK we know such soaring temperatures never last too long!!!

daydreamer
05-06-10, 15:17
Raven I think hit the nail on the head, when you see others aorund you being happy and enjoying you feel worse! Not because they are happy but because you want to be happy too, but the anxiety is all consuming!

I just had to go to a 'fun day', but fun was THE last thing I was experiencing, not to moan or anything! but I was in the sun and having a constant anxiety attack amongst a crowd of people all sunbathing and eating ice cream, people just basically having a fun time and why not on a hot sunny day when you have no cares in the world! oh I wish....

Meltdown, I first experienced anxiety one summer many many yrs ago so summers arent great for me either! Having low self esteem as I do, I find wearing summer clothes a stress too, but I guess like Raven said we are in UK and hot spells dont last too long! LOL..

Typer
05-06-10, 16:18
The heat is making me feel worse. To be honesty I used to love the summer, but since these palps have been around I dread the heat.

sandy35
05-06-10, 16:27
Im the same about the heat. Mainly because I am prone to anxiety more in the summer and if I get it in the winter then I find it much easier to cope with. I did go down the beach for a few hours today because it is a lot cooler down there then anywhere else. I am also trying to get myself outdoors as much as possible after having an anxiety relapse but it is hard going at the moment and the heat doesn't help. Also I have checked the weather forecast and its meant to be much cooler during the week so fingers crossed..........

SarahG
06-06-10, 10:00
I find that I suffer when it's hot too. This week I have felt particularly anxious and I don't know if that it because I am starting back at work tomorrow after 8 weeks off sick or because of the heat itself.

I think that psychologically I can't deal with heat. I don't know about you, but when I have a panic attack, I come over all hot and sweaty. I think I therefore associate being too hot with the initial symptoms of a panic attack and therefore feel "on the edge" of one all the time in the summer.

Trouble is, I am also fighting agoraphobia so I can't just stay in. I am trying to find a happy medium between making myself go out and go further away gradually, and stay in where it's cool and safe?!

miss_moose
06-06-10, 11:00
Yes, i'm with you. I've always had more panic attacks when it's hot, i have a thyroid problem and a symptom of that is intolerance to heat.
I find if the heatings been on a while, i'll feel sick and like i'm going to faint!

If you can, try not to go out when it's the afternoon because the day is at it's hottest.

Always take a drink out with you, a hand held fan, and maybe even a bottle of cold water to splash on you.

I've started taking out my portable dvd incase i have a panic attack while we are out in the car.

SarahG
06-06-10, 11:05
Just thought: Have any of you tried "Magicool" Cooling Spray - It is fantastic! Instantly refreshing and cooling, and unlike water, your face/skin stays cool for ages! Definitely worth every penny. I've included a link to Amazon here where you can buy it for under a fiver:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magicool-Body-Face-Cooler-75ml/dp/B001LK8HD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1275818463&sr=8-3

jothenurse
06-06-10, 12:15
miss moose
what do you play on the your portable dvd?

hallam11
06-06-10, 14:09
Hello...

Over these past few days where the heat has been here I have felt bad also....Mainly because I have just started citalopram and I am having some side effects of feeling sick and sweating. So the heat isn't helping plus my anxiety has gone up slightly so I am finding it difficult.

Laura x

staypositive
06-06-10, 14:58
I know what everyone is saying, the heat always makes my anxiety a little worse too. I think it's because of the raise in temperature makes us feel 'hot', and I think that is something we associate with anxiety. At least for me, like the hot sweaty flushes.

Hallam11 - I've been taking for Citalopram for years, I remember you helped me with medication before, so if I can offer any help, then you know where I am.

Danny

Keep going
06-06-10, 18:41
Anyone else suffering in the hot temperatures we are currently experiencing in the UK?

I seem to be constantly uncomfortable and on edge, and am suffering more palpitations than normal.

I haven't had a full-blown panic attack yet, but have the feeling that there may be one just around the corner!

Of course, the dread of the PA is probably making things worse. I'm sure that it is no coincidence that my panic attacks first started during a hot spell in 2005!

Yup same ere, also the hay fever isnt helping either :mad:

PoppyC
06-06-10, 21:09
I am taking Citalopram @ 40mgs daily and have been taking it since early 2009.
I have noticed that in the hot weather, I can't stand to be out in the sun too much, and have to sit in the shade, because the heat and sun make me feel really sick, and also make my head feel like it is pulsating! This has only occurred since I have been on Citalopram.
I am going on holiday soon and will have to spend most of it in the shade :weep:
Least one good thing about it, is that we won't get all wrinkly! :yesyes:

Anxious_gal
06-06-10, 22:26
I get over hot very fast even in the shops. I hate being hot it makes me dizzy and weak.

saying that I hate being cold. I have naturally cold and hands and feet so if i get cold my hands cramp up and turn blue.....
seems we can't win!

D_aisy
07-06-10, 11:45
I was a mess last week also. Cold bottle of water deffinetly helped however I do tend to think that I 'Cant' cope with the heat so avoid going out at peak times! My partner thought I was barking mad but I was adament I do not like the heat end of!
I'd rather freeze to death than get too hot!

daydreamer
07-06-10, 20:42
Yep same here, atleast when your cold you can put extra layers on. Although I did get chillblains on my hands and feet this winter! I swear anxiety ruins the body's ability temeprature regulate, LOL!

tracy2
07-06-10, 22:24
i didnt realise so many other people suffered in the heat too. i unfortunately work out in it, and now associate the heat with my work being much busier with customers, bit of a double wammy! think i may invest in some of that spray, thanks for the tip sarah