PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks whilst eating

Wakley
05-06-10, 15:16
Afternoon all,

I've recently been suffering from panic attacks whilst eating. It started about 4 years ago and eventually stopped. Unfortunatly, its come back to haunt me.

The panic attacks started to happen when im out eating in restaurants, however - this past week, I've started having them in my own home. As you can imagine, it isnt very nice.

I already have this (sort of) eating dis-order where I refuse to eat anything heathly. I'm around 6ft tall and weigh just shy of 10 stone.

If these panic attacks continue, as you can imagine i'll lose more weight. Something that I can't afford to do.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me? I think my first port of call is to go to the doctors, but between that time - I wanna try and figure out if I can do it on my own accord like I did four / five years ago.....

Many thanks - Sorry for the essay ;)

Wakley

jothenurse
05-06-10, 17:05
What helped you before? What is it about the eating that makes you panicky? I know that I have trouble with eating - I have lost about 20 pounds, though I am eating better now. I just get the gags sometimes and I just feel like gagging and then I can't eat. Also - when I do eat, I usually feel my pulse go faster and then I have to be careful not to get all panicky about it because then my pulse will just race and pound. I take Ativan .5 mg in the morning and .5 mg at noon which does help with the gaggy feeling. Though this morning now I do feel gaggy for some reason. How much is 10 stone?

Wakley
05-06-10, 17:45
What helped you before? What is it about the eating that makes you panicky? I know that I have trouble with eating - I have lost about 20 pounds, though I am eating better now. I just get the gags sometimes and I just feel like gagging and then I can't eat. Also - when I do eat, I usually feel my pulse go faster and then I have to be careful not to get all panicky about it because then my pulse will just race and pound. I take Ativan .5 mg in the morning and .5 mg at noon which does help with the gaggy feeling. Though this morning now I do feel gaggy for some reason. How much is 10 stone?

I have no idea what makes me panic about the food. Whether it be the look, smell, taste or the fact that I may, as you say - Gag.

10 stone, if Im correct is roughly - 140 lb.

I don't panic in any other situation apart from eating. Whats this Ativan you talk about :)

jothenurse
05-06-10, 18:12
It's a benzodiazepine - tranquilizer. (In the same family as valium and klonopin)

Wakley
05-06-10, 20:41
Well - as silly as it sounds, I've just had a meal and im all okay. Had a little panic but got over it.

Sounds like nothing, but its the step in the right direction.

Zee
05-06-10, 20:48
I get very anxious when I sit to eat. The eating problem started couple months ago.GP says I am associating food with anxiety and we are working to try and get things right.