PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new. Problems with anxiety- not believed

ym25
08-02-06, 19:55
What do you do when people don't believe you when you tell them you can't do things?

I have anxiety, agoraphobia, social phobia. I can't go out much and am under pressure to go out. What do you do or say?

How do you cope with people not believing you?
YM25

tulip123
08-02-06, 20:05
That is what is known as social pressure. When one is suffering from anxiety it can seem hard to live up to people's pecieved expectations.

tulip

nomorepanic
08-02-06, 20:22
Hi YM

Welcome aboard - glad we got you on at last.

I don't think it is about not believing it is about not understanding. People don't understand these types of illnesses so they find it hard to appreciate what is going on etc.

You will get loads of support on here and not people that don't believe you stick with us ok and we will help all we can.

Nicola

jackie
08-02-06, 20:40
if thet love you give them a copy of claire weekes book and tell them this is what you are going through. be clear that you dont want sympathy but some patience would be great.

it is hard for people who have never experienced these problems to understand and for the most part i have gave up explaining to those people.

hope you get a better response as it is nice when you get some empathy, just remember though we are all here for that i you want it

jackie

ym25
08-02-06, 21:28
It is really hard because it is family that don't believe how bad I am. They are not at all sympathetic and think I should be able to visit them.

One person in particular has similar problems to me but even he thinks the same as they do and that I should be able to snap out of it and get on with life.

if your family don't believe you what do you do??

THanks

trac67
08-02-06, 22:06
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Have you tried to get your family to read up on anxiety etc, or let them have a look on the forum, you may find this helps them understand.

take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Tomimo
09-02-06, 20:51
I think it's hard for people to understand if they haven't ever felt this way. People tend to be deceived by the fact that they can't see anything physical wrong with you so they assume it's *just nerves* and that you can pull yourself together. They don't realise ow debilitating it can be.

I don't suffer with agoraphbia but do get acute anxiety as part of panic disorder and when I am really bad there is no way I could go out. I tend to accept only things that I feel I can cope with. My friends are mostly unerstanding but if I don't want to go into details, I just say that I don't feel up to it/am busy or whatever.

I hope that you find people are understanding if you tell them and I hope you feel up to doing small things soon :)

Annie x

andrew
10-02-06, 00:15
hi ym25,

you can only try to educate them about your situation. that doesnt mean that they are gonna listen or change. stand your ground, carry on with your own recovery .. tc andrew