PDA

View Full Version : please read

clare_201086
06-06-10, 12:02
hi all, ive suffered with anx for about 2years, been on seroxat, and now on 60mg of duloxetine a day, also have a fear of vomiting and severe anxiety since i lost my job in march, im so worried about my weight as im loosing lots of it!! im not working at the minute and my living circumstances are difficult, im waiting for therapy, could any1 just give me sum advice please xxxx

jothenurse
06-06-10, 12:36
I also have a fear of vomiting. When my panic disorder started - I couldn't eat or eat just very little. I lost 20 pounds. I am on Ativan .5mg that I take at 6 AM and a .5mg at noon. It is a benzodiazepine, but it is a low dose. When I was really gaggy, I had to take a little more so I could eat. I still can't eat much during the day - I try to snack on things - like cheese, crackers, or a milkshake. In the evening, I tend to be able to eat a little bit better, but still not enough to gain any weight back. The only other thing I can do when I feel gaggy is to distract myself. I either do a crossword puzzle or read a book and that seems to help. Sometimes I will go for a walk or take a drive.
Hope you feel better.

Typer
06-06-10, 13:14
Japanese peppermint oil can help with the gagging nerve. You have just a drip in some warm water though - its pretty strong. They are also often used as an alternative treatment for IBS

http://www.abdopain.com/peppermint-oil.html

Typer
06-06-10, 13:19
Thought I should add the precautions from this website

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/peppermint-000269.htm

"Precautions:

The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, herbs should be taken with care, under the supervision of a health care provider.

Do not take peppermint or drink peppermint tea if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD -- a condition where stomach acids back up into the esophagus) or hiatal hernia. Peppermint can relax the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, allowing stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus. (The sphincter is the muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach.) By relaxing the sphincter, peppermint may actually make the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion worse.

Pregnant or nursing mothers should avoid peppermint and peppermint tea.

Never apply peppermint oil to the face of an infant or small child, as it may cause spasms that inhibit breathing.

Peppermint may make gallstones worse.

Large doses of peppermint oil can be toxic. Pure menthol is poisonous and should never be taken internally. It is important not to confuse oil and tincture preparations.

Menthol or peppermint oil applied to the skin can cause a rash"