PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Hiv/Aids.

mb19
06-06-10, 20:12
Hello everyone, This may seem sooo silly to some but have been worrying myself sick for 3 weeks...
My friend's boyfriend came for tea (both friend's are gay males), later in the eve he asked me to squeeze a spot on his neck for him ( i know your all thinking ewwww! But i am the cheif squeezer lol ) Turns out it was a cyst and i had no gloves so i wrapped wet wipes round my fingers and squeezed it to the point it bled, a tiny amount of blood went through the wipes onto a small papercut like scratch i had gotten earlier that day, it only bled for a short period when i caught it and wasnt bleeding when i squeezed the cyst! i only noticed after about 30 seconds that blood had gone through the wipes! i went to the toilet washed my hands and sanitised but worried i got there too late. There has never been any mention of his status and obviously dont want to ask! Im terrified in case i have caught hiv/ hep etc from him? eventhough i dont know of his stautus! Does anyone out there think they can help???? I have a anxiety disorder and a young daughter and im terrified to the point where i csnnot function daily x http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_question.gif

Typer
06-06-10, 20:17
Could you ask him? I was thinking though, if he thought he had HIV or Aids, he would not have let you do that.

mb19
06-06-10, 20:21
I thought that too but also thought what if he has it but isnt aware! He told me yesterday he was tested before he met my friend a yr or so ago, but my overactive mind has me thinking what if he has it??????

randomworry
06-06-10, 21:29
with such minor contact it would be highly highly unlikely you got infected with anything even if he was infected which he most likely isnt. in uk hiv is relatively rare anyway.

pd
06-06-10, 22:02
In this day and age you're probably no more likely to have caught HIV from him than from the blood of a straight person, what's important is the number of sexual partners a person has had and whether or not they've practiced safe sex with all of them. It's very unlikely that he is HIV positive, and even if he is you are extremely unlikely to have caught anything from the degree of contact that you describe. If you're really worried go and have a test, they text you your results within the week.

pinkynicca
06-06-10, 22:18
i have had the same worries with different circumstances, you can spend the next 3 months worrying then go get checked and get told your fine, then you will think hey maybe im one of the rare cases to show up over 3 months.. then worry yourself sick another 3 months.. and on and on... your fine. in the unlikely hood he had hiv/aids, your constant with very small. your fine. dont spend another moment worrying. =)

MidnightCalm
06-06-10, 23:15
Would you be as scared if he was straight?
Hiv isn't mainly in gays anymore.

constantworrier418
07-06-10, 08:58
right - I used to suffer with HIV phobia and like you it started with coming into contact with someone else's blood. From the many occassions I spoke to health care experts in the HIV field the one thing they always told me was that it take a sufficient amount of fresh blood being passed into a deep cut (not a paper cut) for any real risk factor. Also wet wipes have some sort of lotion on them so I would imagine that even though the small amount of blood passed through I would imagine HIV would have been killed by the lotion that is contained in them. Also HIV is very fragile in the open air and does start to die once exposed to the air so this is also a fact to remember.

I have found that ringing the sexual health helpline really helpful - i think their number is 0800 567123 and I'm sure if you ring they will put your mind at ease.

If you need to chat on here feel free - although you will, try not to worry too much and I would suggest the best thing to do if you are is distraction, distration, distraction!! xx