PDA

View Full Version : mums going away - uh oh!

Annabelle
06-06-10, 21:51
hi all

ok so i know im 25 years old but im scared cos my mum is going to canada for 5 days and i'm worried about coping without her. Although she drives me up the wall, she can talk me down from a panic attack, or anxiety better than anyone i know. im worried that without her something terrible will happen and i won't be able to cope - i know this is silly but it doesnt stop me feeling it. shes going tomorrow and im worried about the plane crashing or her getting dvt ( i bought her flying socks!) im worried she will get stuck in canada sue to an ash cloud and wont get home - im worried i will lose the plot all week and wont cope and take to my bed!! worry worry worry worry:wacko:
. im feeling sick and iv given myself a headache over it - but im trying to put on a brave face for her because i know shes worried about the whole thing ( not a natural traveller!) and she worry about me as well ( we are a right pair!)
what a lot of worry - just wanted to start a thread so i would have somewhere to post this week and get some support - i hope you lot can be my mummy for a week?!!
will you hold my hand?! :huh:

love anna xxx

fairyclairy
06-06-10, 22:01
Hi Anna,

Im in the same position!! Its sounds so silly doesnt it... but im as worried as u are!
Im 22, and both my mum and dad go away for a week on Wednesday, so im home alone all week... im terrified something bad will happen, the nights scare me the worst incase i wake up and no one is hear to help me if i get ill, or in a huge panic attack... cos like u, my mum also calms me down during an attack.
I have wonderful neighbours who say i can ring whenever, but im not gona ring them in the middle of the night!!
Sounds soooo stupid when i think about it logically, but i know im gona be a mess for the week and im also worried about the ash cloud keeping them there... what we like hey!!

We'll have to help each other through this... p/m me anytime this week. Mine dont go till wednesday but im sure il be posting whilst they're away!

Stay strong and calm, because nothing will happen.. we'll just be out of our comfort zone and our security blanket wont be with us for a while, but we dont need our blanket to survive.. we just think we do :hugs: xx

Anxious_gal
06-06-10, 22:41
I'm 24.....
I'm very bad at being alone in the house at night. I get so anxious and feel so unsafe.
my whole family went away on holidays this one time for a week.
so basically I was totally on my own in Ireland!
I did cope ok though.
I would stay up all night cleaning as daft at that sounds and felt safer in the day so I slept then.
will you be 100% on your own? or maybe you have family or friends? it helps to know there is someone there if you do panic :-)
also maybe see if anyone here has skype? because if you panic you can call them and they may help to calm you down and you won't feel so alone.

CJA09
07-06-10, 00:28
Hey anna, I TOTALLY understand how your feeling! I'm 27 and feel exactly like you do! I've suffered with anxiety since I was 14 and my parents and brother have always been my safe people! Without them around or without being able to contact them and have them get to me or me get to the I freak out! Panick takes me over :( they make me feel safe. So don't feel alone! My mum said to me the other day "how do u feel bout ya dad and I going away for a week?" well I felt the panic rise within me! But I don't want to ever hold them back so I tried to act like I was ok. I too worry I'll get ill and have no one to help me or anxiety will take hold if me and I won't cope! My brother will be around, he only lives down the road.
You just need to keep yourself busy and occupy your mind. You will be ok, as will I! I'm on here nearly everyday so if you want to chat let me know!
Big hugs hun x

nursey4
07-06-10, 07:04
Don't be embarrassed! I'm 32 and have had panic/anxiety since I was 24. My parents are away right now and the night before they left, I was so anxious I couldn't sleep. I wanted to call and beg them not to go but I've drained my mom so much, I know she needs a holiday from me every now and then! My parents also go to Arizona ( a full 3 days drive away) every winter for 3 months and I always freak out about a month before they leave. The good news is, I get used to it and am forced to find other coping mechanisms - try to talk to my husband more about it, etc.
Feel free to pm me as well if you want. I know how you feel :)

Annabelle
07-06-10, 12:30
Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

its so nice to know im not alone in this!

well today was the day she left and i think she was more anxious that me! i actually did a little cbt with her about her fears cos she was getting in a right state about it all! I know she will be safe though as she's going with her sister who is a seasoned traveller!
so far so good - no wobbles yet, \I am going to keep myself busy with some laundry/tidying and a nice dog walk later on.
having all your support though means the difference between gibbering wreck on the floor, and keeping it held together - it is much appreciated!!
long may the no wobbles continue!
xxx

vicky23
07-06-10, 13:00
Bless you all I'm the same, 23, and I get anxious when my Mam goes away anywhere but when the time comes for her return you'll realise that this is another sucess you've had and then next time something challenging comes up you can say 'well I got through it last time I can do it again'
And there's always someone here who can help if you do have a panic which is very much a comfort I think.
Have a great week!

Annabelle
07-06-10, 19:47
Oh dear - may have spoken too soon! had a bit of a wobble at the gym - head went fuzzy and felt dizzy, and i hurt my foot (ow!) but im ok - the lovely bf is making me some dinner - day 1 almost complete!

xxx

fairyclairy
08-06-10, 12:57
Well done on getting through day 1... and half way through day 2 now :yesyes:

My mum and dad go away early in the morning and im terrified! Trying to stay busy though and not think about it because i dont want my mum to worry about leaving me on my own! But i just keep thinking, this time next week il only have 1 night left lol

How u getting on today?X

Annabelle
09-06-10, 23:35
hi fairy!

so far so good - im ok!! been a bit wobbly today but mostly because its the totm which always makes me weird (er!)
anyway keeping busy seems to be working for me - i hope it does for you as well. PM me if you want as chat or a pep talk and thankyou for checking in on me!

xxx

WillyB
10-06-10, 01:29
Jumping in the deep end here but you'll do fine !! stay strong and you'll get through what ever worry you get, theres always someone to talk to, here on the forums or the chat room or one of your close friends.

Hope you are well

Regards, Will
:bighug1:

fairyclairy
10-06-10, 20:26
Heyy,

well im on day 2 and going ok.. coping better than i thought but im still wanting this week to go very fast! lol

Yeah, keeping busy is working for me too.. work all day then been food shopping tonight and done some jobs. Feel absolutly shattered from work an not much sleep lastnight but hoping il sleep abit better tonight!

Hope your doing ok again today - not long left now! xx