PDA

View Full Version : Good evening ladies and gentlefolk

MattP
06-06-10, 22:53
I'm new to this here forum. Social Anxiety sufferer since 2005. I'm 18 now. Getting better one day at a time and just thought I'd try and immerse myself in a community of like minded folk of the anxious disposition :D

How are you all this evening? :)

diane07
06-06-10, 22:55
Hi MattP

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Veronica H
07-06-10, 07:55
:welcome:Matt. Glad that you have found us. I'm ok thanks for asking...if a little nervous hehe.

Veronicax

vicky23
07-06-10, 10:51
hi Matt I'm good thanks :)
Hope you are too?
I must say for a SA sufferer your post comes across in a very confident manner :D I thought you must be 80 or something calling us ladies and gentlefolk lol
welcome to the group I'm sure you'll enjoy

vicky23
07-06-10, 10:54
p.s. I see you posted in the newcastle support group thread? I'm from Prudhoe and have been sending out some messages to people in the area but as of yet have had no response there's so far 2 of us interested including me I think lol

MattP
07-06-10, 11:02
:welcome:Matt. Glad that you have found us. I'm ok thanks for asking...if a little nervous hehe.

Veronicax

Nice to meet you :)
As am I, but it dissipates quite quickly :D

MattP
07-06-10, 11:06
hi Matt I'm good thanks :)
Hope you are too?
I must say for a SA sufferer your post comes across in a very confident manner :D I thought you must be 80 or something calling us ladies and gentlefolk lol
welcome to the group I'm sure you'll enjoy

I'm alright today thank you, a bit jittery, but such is life :)
Ah, it's my 'elder' mannerisms. I'm uncertain as to whether or not they're a positive thing :blush:
Well, hiding behind a computer screen helps me be a confident chappy. It can be a different story in person, depending on how I feel. Sometimes I can be immensely confident, other times I just want to hide from everything. All depends on circumstance :)

vicky23
07-06-10, 11:13
that's funny, I do some voluntary work at a school and the guy there says I wear old lady clothes and look like I just stepped out off stage at an Agatha Christie play or something... I don't think I dress like an old lady lol
I do know what you mean about hiding behind a computer screen it's a lot easier to appear confident, in person I can be quite shy and quiet but strangely I dont mind getting up and speaking in front of people I think I tend to hide behind that personna too.
So where are you from? I'm guessing around the newcastle area?

Raindog
07-06-10, 11:14
Hi Matt
Welcome to NMP, the best bit about this site is it helps you realise you aren't alone so hope you find plenty of support here. Good to hear we might have another for a north east meet up too. You'll be ok, possibly if you hop into the chat room after your 5 days is up and chat to us a bit you'll feel less anxious about the meet up if you want to come along :)

vicky23
07-06-10, 11:16
yay the other one from our 2 people so far meet up hahaha

MattP
07-06-10, 11:17
that's funny, I do some voluntary work at a school and the guy there says I wear old lady clothes and look like I just stepped out off stage at an Agatha Christie play or something... I don't think I dress like an old lady lol
I do know what you mean about hiding behind a computer screen it's a lot easier to appear confident, in person I can be quite shy and quiet but strangely I dont mind getting up and speaking in front of people I think I tend to hide behind that personna too.
So where are you from? I'm guessing around the newcastle area?

Ah, the older look is 'in' anyway. It's what all the indy folk are doing :)
I know what you mean about standing in front of people. I'm a drummer, and performing is one of the most relaxing things I do, yet I can't maintain relationships because I can't stand people touching me, just the thought of it fills me with dread. It's odd how the mind works :blush:
I live in Whickham, a short walk from the metrocentre :)

MattP
07-06-10, 11:19
Hi Matt
Welcome to NMP, the best bit about this site is it helps you realise you aren't alone so hope you find plenty of support here. Good to hear we might have another for a north east meet up too. You'll be ok, possibly if you hop into the chat room after your 5 days is up and chat to us a bit you'll feel less anxious about the meet up if you want to come along :)

Thankyou for the welcome :)
Perhaps. I shall see about mustering up the courage for that'un. Where would you guys meet up?

Raindog
07-06-10, 11:21
I'm a drummer too, haven't played in a while but I like pounding the skins to release some tension. I've never been much of a one for fashion myself either, so we'll probably look like a right bunch sitting outside some cafe in Newcastle somewhere :D

MattP
07-06-10, 11:26
I'm a drummer too, haven't played in a while but I like pounding the skins to release some tension. I've never been much of a one for fashion myself either, so we'll probably look like a right bunch sitting outside some cafe in Newcastle somewhere :D

You don't by any chance frequent the Mike Dolbear forum do you?
I'm addicted to the old tubs (as they're affectionately known). I'm auditioning for a jazz course at a music conservatoire at the end of the year. I just have to sort out some suitably prententious/ immensely difficult jazz pieces to audition with :D
Not a fan of fashion? Likewise. It requires too much shopping, and it's always blimmin' expensive! :blush:
Ah, so it'll be a cafe. Top plan. Although I'll be drinking a rugged peppermint or chamomile tea. Y'know. Got to keep the caffiene intake nice and low :)

Raindog
07-06-10, 11:37
I don't go on that forum, think I had a look a few years back when I was thinking about getting another kit, but just a look.

I say it will be in a cafe, that was just an idea I threw out there since a lot of pubs are those horrible theme places these days, and it's very unlikely any would serve a nice camomile. If you have any possible venues to suggest, then feel free, I haven't been up to Newcastle for a couple of years.

Is the Jazz cafe still up on Pink Lane across from the station? I used to work up there and would nip into that cafe after work for an hour or so, very nice little place.

MattP
07-06-10, 11:45
I don't go on that forum, think I had a look a few years back when I was thinking about getting another kit, but just a look.

I say it will be in a cafe, that was just an idea I threw out there since a lot of pubs are those horrible theme places these days, and it's very unlikely any would serve a nice camomile. If you have any possible venues to suggest, then feel free, I haven't been up to Newcastle for a couple of years.

Is the Jazz cafe still up on Pink Lane across from the station? I used to work up there and would nip into that cafe after work for an hour or so, very nice little place.

A nice pint serves much the same purpose as a chamomile tea :)
I would suggest the Forth Hotel (which is a really nice pub, nice and quiet during the day, but becomes heaving in the evening) or the Bacchus (same as the Forth). Great beers, nice atmosphere, and the Forth has board games behind the bar. There's nothing quite like the experience of playing battleships in a pub. Really makes you part of a niche group of somewhat 'special' individuals :blush:

The Jazz Cafe is indeed still open, somehow. They serve one kind of beer (Budvar) and 2 wines. Red and white. I've only been twice, but it's a nice place. Although from what I hear, it's not quite the place it used to be.

vicky23
07-06-10, 11:46
rain I'll have you know I am a very fashionable lady :) lol
and yes I would be on the chamomile tea too altho it doesn't taste very nice I much prefer peppermint or ginger.
Rain I honestly have no idea if the jazz cafe is still running but if you know where it is then we could go and see
Matt I know Whickam my Uncle says there's a great restaurant/pub there called the highway man that I keep meaning to try for food but haven't got round to it yet. Fab view from Whickam :)
and I reeeeally need another lady to come if you's two are going to sit there talking about old tubs lol there's some great music shops in Newcastle apparently :)

MattP
07-06-10, 12:08
rain I'll have you know I am a very fashionable lady :) lol
and yes I would be on the chamomile tea too altho it doesn't taste very nice I much prefer peppermint or ginger.
Rain I honestly have no idea if the jazz cafe is still running but if you know where it is then we could go and see
Matt I know Whickam my Uncle says there's a great restaurant/pub there called the highway man that I keep meaning to try for food but haven't got round to it yet. Fab view from Whickam :)
and I reeeeally need another lady to come if you's two are going to sit there talking about old tubs lol there's some great music shops in Newcastle apparently :)

Ah, I'm a peppermint fan myself as well, but chamomile ain't all bad. It has its moments :D
The jazz cafe is just opposite the Forth.
I know of the Highwayman, I can't say I've ever been, but then again, me eating there will mostly likely be a no-go :blush:
The tubs aren't really old, so, y'know. Not all that bad!
I can't say I know of any. I don't frequent town for anything other than drum lessons or a pub visit :D

mojosmam
07-06-10, 13:14
Hi all
very new to this but very interested in advice or even a meet up. Have only recently started to suffer with anxiety (generalised) with no obvious trigger. Seem to be managing OK at present but my biggest trouble is coping with the weird feeling that seems to hang over. I have vision troubles and tension headaches frequently and therefore have myself convinced at times I have a brain tumour. Going for an eye test soon but think this is just part and parcel of my anxiety. GP's don't see to take much notice of any symptoms etc I have now as they just say "it's anxiety related". Not reassuring at all.

MattP
07-06-10, 14:06
Hi all
very new to this but very interested in advice or even a meet up. Have only recently started to suffer with anxiety (generalised) with no obvious trigger. Seem to be managing OK at present but my biggest trouble is coping with the weird feeling that seems to hang over. I have vision troubles and tension headaches frequently and therefore have myself convinced at times I have a brain tumour. Going for an eye test soon but think this is just part and parcel of my anxiety. GP's don't see to take much notice of any symptoms etc I have now as they just say "it's anxiety related". Not reassuring at all.

Hi Mojo, nice to hear from you :)
Well as you can see, I think we'll be planning a meet up, at some point. Fingers crossed and all that, so just hang around :yesyes:
I can't say I know anything about your particular situation, but I know what it's like to feel the anxiety you feel, as do most of the folk on here, so there's always help, advice and such. Drop me an email if you'd like to chat "mattjpickering 'at' hotmail.co.uk" (just replace the 'at' with @. I do it to avoid spam - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y :blush:). I can't guarantee I'll be able to help, but sometimes it's just nice to talk about problems to a complete stranger. Also. A warning. I will most likely overload any messages with an extortionately large amount of emoticons. Sorry in advance :D

vicky23
07-06-10, 16:38
hi Mojo, I'm glad my directions made sense lol It's very annoying when anxiety just seems to jump out of the blue but I'm glad you feel you're managing alright. it seems to me (not in anyway a diagnosis lol) but your symptoms sound very much like health anxiety as well as general anxiety. the funny thing is the general anxiety often causes awful symptoms like your Dr said and this causes us to worry that it's something awful like a brain tumour or cancer. For me it was worry over having a heart attack because of the chest pain and palpitations that the general anxiety caused
Our minds are amamzingly complex but can cause us pain sometimes!
so it'd be great to meet you and talk some more, if you'd like to please tell us some more about yourself, where are you from, how old you are what you ejoy doing etc
I posted this 'getting to know you' bit in the thread north east meet up so I think I'll copy and paste it into here rather than type it again lol

vicky23
07-06-10, 16:45
ok so here is my post from a different thread

I thought it would be nice to know a bit about each other just to get a better idea of who we are talking to...
I'm Vicky, 23 from a town called Prudhoe I live with my Mam and bro who I love dearly they're amazing and have seen me through very difficult times. I don't have a job at the mo due to anxiety and the physical aspects of it but I help my Grandma who has health problems and I'm planning on registering for the open uni to do a course in sept.

and here is raindogs getting to know you bit from the same thread

I'm Shaun, 41, originally from Darlington but living in Middlesbrough. Living alone, which has made it tough getting through the depression and especially the anxiety, but things are looking up. Might be getting a job soon if this interview goes well tomorrow, so fingers crossed on that one.

Went to uni and got my degree in my early 30s and now at least I have that to help me get a job, which is much better than I was during my 20s. I want to move back up to Newcastle if I can ever stick at a job long enough and get the chance.

I'm a bit of an old rocker but like a wide range of music, in my opinion if I like it, I like it, simple as that.

Raindog
07-06-10, 16:50
I want any royalties off that post Vicky :P

vicky23
07-06-10, 16:52
what you talking about man? I said which bits were yours!! :P hehehe

MattP
07-06-10, 16:57
ok so here is my post from a different thread

I thought it would be nice to know a bit about each other just to get a better idea of who we are talking to...
I'm Vicky, 23 from a town called Prudhoe I live with my Mam and bro who I love dearly they're amazing and have seen me through very difficult times. I don't have a job at the mo due to anxiety and the physical aspects of it but I help my Grandma who has health problems and I'm planning on registering for the open uni to do a course in sept.

and here is raindogs getting to know you bit from the same thread

I'm Shaun, 41, originally from Darlington but living in Middlesbrough. Living alone, which has made it tough getting through the depression and especially the anxiety, but things are looking up. Might be getting a job soon if this interview goes well tomorrow, so fingers crossed on that one.

Went to uni and got my degree in my early 30s and now at least I have that to help me get a job, which is much better than I was during my 20s. I want to move back up to Newcastle if I can ever stick at a job long enough and get the chance.

I'm a bit of an old rocker but like a wide range of music, in my opinion if I like it, I like it, simple as that.

Is this the point where I tell you guys about myself? Or shall I stay all reclusive? :)

Raindog
07-06-10, 17:16
Yes :D

Going home
07-06-10, 17:22
This must be the longest introduction thread ive ever seen on nmp...25 posts and counting! Well done on also getting a meet up organised so quickly too. I hope you all do manage to get together, its always good to get together with people who understand how you're feeling. Oh, and welcome from me too by the way :D

Regards
Anna xx :welcome:

MattP
07-06-10, 17:29
As you wish :D
I'm Matt. I'm 18, I live in Whickham with my parents, an older brother, my grandmother and an immensely stupid dog. I play the drums in the Gateshead Youth Jazz Orchestra and a local band called O:F:S and am hoping to make a career out of tub thumping when I go to a music conservatoire next year to study jazz.
My anxiety cropped up in 2005, and I told the family about it 9 months later in 2006 after I had the umpteenth relapse and could no longer deal with it on my own. Surprisingly, no one had twigged, considering I wouldn't eat from 7 in the morning to half 4 in the afternoon on school days :blush:
But, I've made leaps and bounds over the years, and I know that I'll be rid of the anxiety someday. I just have to keep chipping away at it, one step at a time :D

MattP
07-06-10, 17:30
This must be the longest introduction thread ive ever seen on nmp...25 posts and counting! Well done on also getting a meet up organised so quickly too. I hope you all do manage to get together, its always good to get together with people who understand how you're feeling. Oh, and welcome from me too by the way :D

Regards
Anna xx :welcome:

Thanks very much anna. Nice to meet you :D

vicky23
07-06-10, 18:37
that's a great attitude Matt :)

MattP
07-06-10, 18:57
Thanks Vicky. I try to maintain it. It's not always easy, but it's a better option than the old doom and gloom view of life :blush:

vicky23
07-06-10, 19:06
yes indeed :)
well Matt you have 3 more days to wait I believe and then you can enter the chat room here lol
and then you can talk to people without breaking the record for longest thread in the history of NMP lol

MattP
07-06-10, 19:30
Ah, it feels like some kind of coming of age moment. Like a Bar Mitzvah, but with fewer beard-clad men waving scalpels menacingly at my genitals (am I allowed to make crude religious jokes...? :blush:) *shuffles awkwardly*

Raindog
07-06-10, 19:53
Yes :D

vicky23
07-06-10, 21:08
no Matt you're not - didn't you carefully read the 1000 word terms and conditions before you clicked 'agree' ??!!
lol joking of course
I'm a Christian, all the boy Christians are very grateful circumcision is part of the Jewish covenant lol

vicky23
07-06-10, 21:11
by the way- does anyone know the reason for the 5 day probation? does someone monitor our posts for 5 days to see if we are suitable candidates for live chat?

MattP
07-06-10, 21:14
So... I'm allowed to offend other's faith? :blush:
Oh, no doubt. I wouldn't want someone going anywhere near me with a nicely sharpened blade, even if they claim 'god said so'. But enough of this immensely technical, heated, religious debating lark. It's all getting too much for me.

vicky23
07-06-10, 21:19
I wouldn't say you were offensive, it didn't offend me.
But yes you're right this board isn't a good place to debate Jewish theology I don't think lol :blush:

MattP
07-06-10, 21:25
Marvelous news :D
However, I think I'll desist with the religion jokes. There's a time and a place for them, and I don't think this is it :blush:

So how're you this evening? (I'm intent on making this thread at least a 5 pager...) :)

vicky23
07-06-10, 21:30
lol you know it's funny I have mischievious thoughts in my head wanting to not reply here but send a PM with my reply just to thwart your plans to take over the board....which I shall do once I have added this to tip the posts over into page 5 because that's just the kind of caring person I am :):noangel:

MattP
07-06-10, 21:35
Ah, wonderfully thwarted. I am humbled by your malevolence :D
However, now this is a 5 pager, I'll just stick to the PMs. It's a tad easier to talk with them :)