PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

bucketofsnakes
07-06-10, 01:38
Just like to say hello to everyone and how moving it has been to read some of
your posts.
I'm having real difficulty getting help for what I think may be PTSD and would appreciate any advice. My trauma is'nt one that most people would identify with PTSD, which is quite a stumbling block when it comes to getting a diagnosis. I first considered that it may be PTSD after seeing a programme about 9 11 which featured a guy who had ground all of his teeth away in the months following the trauma. I had also damaged my teeth through months of Bruxism. When I later read about PTSD tears flooded down my face as it explained my symptoms so precisely.Before researching PTSD I'd had a diagnosis of depression and anxiety, I had told my CPN that it did'nt feel like depression, (I know depression well), he decided I was depressed and just angry.
This was 3 years ago, which has been the worst of my life with spells of dependance on Diazepam, a period of dependence on alcohol, a police record, various anti depressants and worst of all I've become so detached from friends and my relationship of 18 years is in tatters.
I saw locom GP on one occasion who I'd never met before who read my notes and said 'What is this? PTSD?'. Recently my psychiatrist dismissed my suggestion of PTSD as 'it usually involves witnessing death'.
I have a really poor GP service here, I live rurally and the next best surgery is 10 miles away in a town connected with my trauma, so I put up with it. However a new GP has just arrived and so far I have found him to be easy to talk to, so I plan to see him this week and hopefully he will hear me out.
I have a lot of difficulty when speaking to mental health workers, I have it all worked out what I need to talk to them about and when I leave I realise I hav'nt got my point over at all. I recently took a list along with me, to make sure I explained the symptoms and problems effectively- the psychiatrist looked as if I'd wiped a bogey on his pudding spoon, I crumbled, he never read or asked about my silly little list.
If anyone can offer me any advice how to get the Dr to take me seriously it would be most appreciated.
Thanks for reading - Jan

nomorepanic
07-06-10, 01:48
Hi bucketofsnakes

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Veronica H
07-06-10, 07:46
:welcome:to NMP Jan. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax