PDA

View Full Version : New brand of B12 - panicky

jothenurse
07-06-10, 12:15
I have a panic disorder, and along with that a med phobia, though I do take Ativan. I have pernicous anemia, so since last July I have to take Vitamin B12 every evening. Unfortunately, the brand I usually take I couldn't get any more, so had to switch brand. They are almost identical, except for a little change with some added ingredient - on the new brand it is listed under the B!2, with the old it was listed under other. So, I assume that there is a little more of it (dicalcium phosphate) - just an additive. I've taken it a couple of times and I have gotten a stomachache and some gags - though, I also get that with my anxiety. I asked a pharmacist and she thought it was from the anxiety and that the two brands were interchangeable. But, I am so nervous now about it. I need the Vitamin B12. Any help on this?

MOJO
07-06-10, 12:43
Hello!
I also have a med phobia. I really don't think the new brand of B12 is causing your symptoms. It's just your mind causing your anxiety to act up as you know you're taking something "different". I know how this works as it happens to me all the time! If there is a side effect from a med I KNOW I will get it!! (and I do!).
Judy.

jothenurse
07-06-10, 13:26
Thank you for your reply. I have IBS really bad this morning and I am also just starting back to work for my second week - bad timing that I had to switch brands on the B12.

anthrokid
07-06-10, 13:47
Heya,

I'm also have a bit of a fear of meds, and everytime I take something new, even a vitamin, I get myself into a state. You'll be fine :) I've gotten to the point where I can mix vitamins now without thinking it will kill me! Woohoooo! I'm pretty certain that it's the anxiety related to the vitamin change that's making you unwell rather than the vitamin change itself. I work myself into a sick worry a lot too. It sucks because then you really don't know if it's the meds or just your anxiety, I understand how you feel. But I also know that you will be okay :) It's just the anxiety, just like mine is today. We'll get through it!

jothenurse
07-06-10, 18:31
Thanks for your reply. The pharmacist thinks my diarrhea/IBS is from my nerves and that the new brand of Vitamin B12 should not be causing that. Now I just need to convince myself.