PDA

View Full Version : A Failure re palps

Typer
07-06-10, 14:23
I feel a bit of a failure when after a few weeks of feeling lots better (though not without palps) I relapse into a state of panic and anxiety.

I get this sense of false hope because the palps ease off to a few thuds every hour or so, then like today and the past few days, they are those ones that feel as though your heart just turned right over and then flopped back into place. I feel a sudden shortness of breath and extremely dizzy. This has now given me agoraphobia.

I did start to venture out...just to the shops but then the other day, I had a major bad turn in the supermarket to the point where I feared collapse. I went so hot all over and the sweat began to drip off of me. I began to panic, I guess making things worse. This awful fear that I will collapse in public.

Some days I feel my life has now stopped and been ruined. I no longer meet friends for coffee, no longer go to the theatre or any of the things I once enjoyed.

Justme71
07-06-10, 18:23
Oh Typer you poor thing. I just wanted to say that you're not alone and please don't feel a failure. Maybe it would be worth seeing your GP again? Whether it be self help, counselling, medication or anything, there's no harm in seeking and getting help to see you through a rough time.

:hugs:

jothenurse
07-06-10, 18:29
You know it always seems two steps forward, one step back. I had to buy a different B12 medication (I have pernicous anemia) because the brand I usually take the store did not have any more. I, with my panic disorder, have a med phobia. So, I took the new brand on Friday night, felt gaggy on Saturday. Didn't take it Saturday night, and felt better so far as my stomach goes on Sunday. I talked to the pharmacist, and they said that the brands were interchangeable - there is a little more of a filler in the new brand, but was told it shouldn't give me an upset stomach. So, I took it last night, woke up at 2 AM with a stomachache, I have IBS, so this morning I had that really bad with diarrhea 3 times. Plus, this is my second week back to work after being gone for 2 and a half months, so I had to push myself to go to work. I am working mornings, and next week I start full-time again. So, of course, I feel awful. Was nervous at work all morning - I'm not convinced that it isn't the new brand of Vitamin B12, but the pharmacist says it's my anxiety. So, I know I feel like a failure, too. I think my family gets upset with me when I get so nervous about changing the brand for Vitamin B12. It is major anxiety for me.
Hope you feel better soon.

Typer
07-06-10, 18:58
Thanks for the reply's.

jothenurse - if you have a med phobia, it must send your anxiety up if they even change the brand rather than the med. Is it possible that your worry about this actually kicked off the IBS?

The reason I say this is today IBS has returned for me. I know its my panic woth the palpitations.

I do need to go back to my GP because I am just too scared to go out very far and I am a virtual prisoner. I am not scared to actually go out, I just fear the palps coming when I am in public. Some days I do get 200's, possibly 1000's

jothenurse
07-06-10, 20:24
Because of my med phobia, even changing the brand scares me. Because it isn't identical and I had gotten use to the other brand and felt comfortable taking it. So, it could very well be just my nervousness about taking a different brand that caused my IBS to flare up. But then, I'm not totally sure. I have a call into my Nurse Practitioner to see what she thinks I should do. Unfortunately, with the pernicous anemia, I really need the Vitamin B12.