PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia is ruining me =(

HelenLouise
07-06-10, 21:52
so once again, emetophobia is getting the better of me.
I'm having so much trouble eating because the minute i know i'm about to eat, my brain goes into overload and starts telling me, "this is going to make you feel sick and then you'll be sick."
Then after i've eaten i'll feel ill and panic.
I'm sick of it!
I've lost weight and i'm hungry most of the time but just can't seem to eat normally. :(
This phobia is exhausting! Waiting for therapy is driving me insane!
I'm also scared to take my medication because it says "nausea" is one of the most common symptoms and about 1 in 100 people experience vomiting!.
Also my doctor refused to give me anti - emetics to take along with the cipralex because he said i was too young!
Is 19 (nearly 20) too young for anti - emetics? I can't understand why it would be!:shrug:

maeanna
09-06-10, 22:51
Hiya,
As a fellow emetophobe i understand where u are coming from and i use to not eat too however i got really low blood sugar level and ended up so so ill so i would definitely recommend u try and eat small meals regularly. I lost loadsa weight too and dropped 2 dress sizes but managed to start eating properly when i became so thin and ill i felt sick anyway from not eating!
I wouldnt recommend anti emetics because i am addicted to them now but if u eat properly hon the food is not likely to make u sick instead its the anxiety causing these symptoms but if u eat small regular meals instead of heavy ones it should be okay!
I did take cipralex and it did not make me feel sick but made me hyper so i stopped!! lol
I also carry gaviscon incase of after eating indigestion but hon try distracting urself after eating to distract away from the anxiety and panic! Try music or chatting to friends or family!
Are u having CBT or hypnosis to help?
Good luck hon

HelenLouise
10-06-10, 19:24
yeah, I am on the waiting list for CBT at the moment!
I've had my tablets changed from Cipralex to Fluoxatine today so hopefully will see some improvements.
I'm just trying to eat small meals often but i've got into a routine of panicing after eating, it's a little hard to get out of :(! xxx

mumble
10-06-10, 19:28
I know it's annoying, most of the time I only manage a small bowl of porridge in the morning, then through the day a yogurt, and a few spoons of spreads like peanut butter, nutella, and sometimes a banana. Just have to build up slowly.

maeanna
13-06-10, 19:51
yeah its so hard trying to get out of the panic routine and it becomes habitual!
i still panic after eating only when im out but always eat small food portions!
I hope u have some luck with CBT! :)