PDA

View Full Version : 6000km motorcycle trip - I'm really anxious

Rheidy
07-06-10, 23:51
Well I'm due to leave on Saturday morning for a 6000km motorcycle trip and I'm becomming more anxious the closer it gets. I really want to go and I'm excited and I always get a bit anxious before a big ride but this is the biggest I've ever done. I haven't ridden that much since my panic disorder raised it's head again and especially since I started to get vertigo about 6 weeks ago. This has since gotten much better but I'm still feeling dizzy on and off mainly at work. I have also had what feels like a slight chest cold the last couple of weeks which is not suprising since most people in my office are sick! I guess some old feelings of doubt are starting to arise about what if it's not just panic attacks and I get really ill in some remote area. (we are riding Sydney - Uluru and back) I'm sure when I leave this office on Friday afternoon I'll feel great knowing that I don't have to come back for two weeks and have so much adventure ahead of me but I can't shake the bad feelings right now. I have finished my counselling with my psychologist who believes I'm doing well, but I'm just really lacking in confidence right now.

I hope I'm able to relax in these next few days so I don't completely lose it the morning of departure! My partner is so excited I haven't even mentioned how anxious I am.

M.

Going home
08-06-10, 00:02
Its probably all the adrenaline bombing around your system at the moment thats making you feel the way you do, and don't forget, these anxious feelings are normal for everybody before such a challenge and excitment comes into it too as well as the fear...that's not exclusive to anxious people, thats all people! You might find that once you're on the road your adrenaline will be used up in the right way and you won't notice it. Try not to think of the whole 6000km trip all at once, but just take it one slice at a time.

Have a wonderful road trip, don't let fear hold you back...go for it you'll be fine :flowers:

Anna xxx

Rheidy
08-06-10, 00:14
Thanks Anna that's a great way of thinking about it, if I think about it as a series of smaller rides it will seem less overwhelming. The adrenalin thing sounds about right too. I've been waking up feeling really 'charged'.

Thanks again

Meg

Rheidy
18-06-10, 01:31
I'm 3000km into the trip! Made it half way. Panic and anxiety have been left on the road somewhere at the moment. It's been really hard physically as there have been some long riding days and uncomfortable nights in the tent. I've even dropped the bike once (doing a u turn) and hurt myself but panic didn't show it's face. I've had to really watch my thoughts when alone on the bike for hours though. I can start to think down the wrong path but seem to be able to catch it.

Anyway I'm glad Im just doing it, it seems to be doing me good! So maybe the message today is to just go and do whatever it is that you've been worried about! :)

m.

Baggs
18-06-10, 10:14
Outstanding, well done. Baggs.

Veronica H
18-06-10, 10:22
:bighug1::bighug1:well done M. Remember to stay in the moment and enjoy the journey too.

Veronicax

Brunette
18-06-10, 12:57
Brilliant! Glad you are having a good time :)

Going home
18-06-10, 13:08
Thats great news, well done m. You're using up all the adrenalin in the right way so there's no room for panic. Onwards and upwards :yesyes:

Anna xxx

Martin Burridge
18-06-10, 22:51
Hi Reidy
What an inspirational thread. Well done. The key to defeating panic disorder is exposure. It lays down memories in your brain that say "I can do it". This boosts self confidence and disempowers the panic attacks.
Many people with panic disorder avoid situations. This lays down memories in the brain that say "I cant". Avoiding situations may prevent a panic attack in the short term but the damage it does to the self confidence means that panic attacks in lesser situations become more prevalent in the long term.
Exposure isn't easy and is best done in small increments (for people in early stages of recovery) but what you have done is an inspiration to all PD sufferers.
I think you will find this trip the best therapy you have ever had. It could well be the final goodbye to your Panic Disorder. Well done again and enjoy the trip.

Ronny
19-06-10, 04:14
Howdy Reidy,Good on you mate I know it is a long trip,hubby and I went to Alice Springs many years back now:weep:He had,besides a harley,an old BMW with side car and shit we had a wonderful trip,I hope you stay safe.I wish I could have gone too.Shot for the moon Reidy if you miss,it does not matter,you can land amongst the stars:D
Love Rhonda x

Rheidy
21-06-10, 10:48
Thanks heaps guys. I really do think this is a great thing for my PD. I am having a great time and feeling good. I had a bit of trouble getting going this morning but it passed soon after I got on the bike and on the way.
Rhonda-my partner and I are both on BMW's great bikes to do the trip on! It is a really long way but I'm already feeling like if we had more time I'd like to have gone further.

This is alot for me since just a few weeks ago I was having to force myself out the door to work! It's boosted my confidence and forced me to push myself cause no one else was going to ride the bike for me.

About 1500kms to go now with a nice 3 day break at the coast before going home!

Ps. I didn't manage to climb Uluru I got part way up and had to turn back. My fear of heights got the better of me but partner made it.

Thanks again for your comments

Meg

Going home
21-06-10, 17:16
Hi Meg, so pleased for you...if you can get through this road trip you can get through anything. Don't worry too much about the things you can't do, congratulate yourself on the things you can, and what you already have done. Lots of people have a few fears like heights etc but thats normal...we can't eliminate them all from life after all. I know my own limitations when on holiday with the family...I refuse to go into caves even if they're big enough for an orchestra they're still underground and no way will i do that, but i'm happy waiting outside, sitting in the sun with a cold drink!

Take care
Anna xxx