PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why!

Natalie x
08-06-10, 10:01
Why is it that anytime we have a weird sensation or slight pain, we all just to conclusions and start to think the worst? I didn't even know that I had health anxiety until a few months ago (I diagnised myself & then was told by my CBT therapist that I have it on Wednesday), but I knew that I was a bit of a hypocondriac. How many of you do this? My worry at the moment is my heart. I keep gettign funny feelings in my throat - almost as though something is catching it, like when soemthing takes you're breath away and I'm convinced it is related to my heart. Has anyone ever had this or does have this? Please help!

martin1976
08-06-10, 10:12
Hi Natalie, I do understand the feelings your experiencing, and I've got to say its awful when it causes so much stress. I used spend a lot of time convincing myself I had all sorts of health issues form Meningitis to cancer, even mad cow disease!! lol. Although I laugh about it now at the time it was very distressing and completely ruled my life. I still now have concerns about my health but is always related to the mind, thinking I have serious mental issues, and although this terrifies me I try to stay as busy as I can in order to not sit and dwell on such thoughts. Also I find exercise a wonderful help because if I tire my body out my mind seems to be more restful.
All the best.
Martin

Natalie x
08-06-10, 10:28
Hi Martin. Thanks for your reply. I try my hardest to distract myself, but it doesn't always seem to happen! I have recently joined a fitness class which is great, it seems to make me forget about all my worries. I wen t for an ECG yesterday which came back clear (that's the second one I have had in around 4 weeks), but soemhow today I am back to werryign again. Do you think that the feeling in my throat is linked to my heart? I got a weird feeling in my stomach a few minutes ago, almost that sicky feeling and it kinda took my breath away. Do you think that's nothing to worry about?

martin1976
08-06-10, 10:44
Hi Natalie, honestly I believe it is nothing to worry about, although I know its not easy to do. I try to tell myself its the anxiety causing it either through the nerves which can cause a lot of different feelings (I suffer a lot of depersonalisation and aches around my body). But also I've noticed if you focus in too much on what your worrying you can amplify the feelings a great deal, however if you try to distract yourself I'm sure you would see this ease a little.
All the best.
Martin

StressedRunner
08-06-10, 10:49
Hi, I have convinced myself I have all sorts of things and agree with the previous message that the more you think you have something the more you find the symptoms that fit what you think you have IYSWIM?

If you have had 2 ECG's I would rest easy that you have no heart problems - the NHS take absolutely no chances with these things so please try and be reassured (easier said than done I know!) x

Natalie x
08-06-10, 10:53
Hi Martin. Thanks again for your reply. I know that it's probably just anxiety (well I hoep so anyway!) but it's so hard, as you know, to tell yourself that. I'll just try my haredst not to think about it! It's just such a vicious circle! I even soemtimes start to feel lightheaded or funny or my breathing a bit funny or even all of them at the same time and worry that my heart has suddenly stopped for a few seconds. Do you think that's what it is? Sorry to be a pain, I just soemtimes need a bit of reassurance! Thanks

Natalie x
08-06-10, 10:56
HI StressesdRunner. Thanks for your reply. That's waht everyone keeps telling me, but I still have conviced myself that these feelings in my throat and stomach are something to do with my heart and that it suddenly just stopped for a second. Do you think this is what happened?

minnie h
08-06-10, 11:05
hey.i also get feelings in my tummy that make it hard to breath.wer abouts in ur stomach do u get the feeling?... If uv had 2 ecg's then uv got nothin to worry about hun! Iv neva had an ecg but doc haz listend to my heart n said it sounds gud and strong n makin all the rite noises..wel done on joining the exercise class.hav u tried yoga? I do it n its really relaxing! X x

martin1976
08-06-10, 11:23
Hi Natalie, I am sure that your heart has no problems, I used to get the feeling of my heart seemed to almost skip a beat, but I think if your mind is in turmoil through worry and panic then the body can go through some adverse effects. Like they say healthy body, healthy mind!
Try not worry and keep your chin up.
Martin

StressedRunner
08-06-10, 11:24
Natalie (great name by the way since it's mine too!)

I get the throat thing on and off and it is purely anxiety related - feels like I have a lump and am struggling to swallow. When I am a bit more relaxed it goes away. I have had countless strange stomach symptoms and have also had numbness in my hands and legs as well as palpitations.

If you have had 2 ECG's, really you need to trust that your heart is fine.

N x

Natalie x
08-06-10, 11:48
Hi all. Thanks for your replies. I guess I just need to try and realx like you are all saying. But you will know yourselves that that is easier said than done! Hannah, it's like down at the pit of my stomach I had the feeling. You know, almost as though your stomach has done a big somersault! And the I sort of felt like I got a fright - you know that jumpy feeling you get when you get a fright. That's sort of what I got and my breathing felt funny and though that my heart had stopped. Even although my ECG came back clear, it would have shown up if there was something wrong wouldn't there? Even though I'm having these feelings a day later? Thanks!

Zee
08-06-10, 12:04
Hi Natalie.
Ive had that throat sensation in the past and of course as others have said, focusing on it somehow seems to make it worse.
I think when anxiety is high normal aches seem so much worse and we start concentrating on them and then feel another twinge etc..I have tum issues and when I distract myself from the thoughts of whats that ? whats this?, then I realise the aches, twinges have gone.