PDA

View Full Version : Serious mental thoughts, with panic attack.

Izzycam
08-06-10, 10:51
Hi there, I had some panic attacks last year brought on by an accident, luckily these stopped after a while,through a lot of hard work and a little help from diazepan.
The problem is, I have just had the worst two nights of my life with whole body shakes, sweating crying, gassy stomach, depersonalisation but worse of all, "thoughts of wanting to kill myself ".......I am so ashamed, I never think this way, and am amazed they popped into my mind. I love life and have a fab family and a good business.
Why? what do they mean, God it's a minefield!
I know the reason the panic attack started it was because I was in pain with a trapped nerve, but why the dramatics.
Any advice much appreciated as this has me really worried.
I feel that I can't go out of the house unless I'm holding a diazepan.

Antipodes
08-06-10, 12:12
Hi, Do you have any other symptoms such as an exaggerated startle response, being very aware / vigilant, difficulty concentrating, short-term memory. Just a few "prompters" really as if there are other symptoms or odd behavours, you should let your GP know as it will help them to ID the problem rather than mitigate the symptoms. Benzos are not good because poeple can easily become dependant on them. They're a crutch for short-term use. I hope you get over this.

Vixxy
08-06-10, 14:49
It might be just related to your accident. This trapped nerve is triggering a memory of when you were in pain (im assuming) last time and kicking off the anxiety cycle as this is what happened last time.
Anxiety is very much a trigger illness. If the brain links something to anxiety, then every time youre in that situation again itll try and trigger the anxiety.
I suggest going to see a therapist who can help you deal with the triggers.
For now, its horrible to live through, but it will pass. Tell yourself "This is just a sensation and I will learn to cope with it. It will not do me any harm".
By accepting the anxiety for what it is, you can lesson its impact.
I really hope this helps you.
Just remember you beat it once, you can do it again!

Izzycam
08-06-10, 15:14
Without a doubt the pain was the trigger for the panic attack, I wonder does this mean that every time I get pain now the panic will come.
I'm only 40 odd now and healthy 99% of the time, what will happen when I'm older.
By the way I only took 3 days worth of the medication as I understand it's addictive.

andrew
08-06-10, 15:59
Hi Izzycam,

Im not sure if everytime you get pain the panic will come. If it did happen, you would just need to learn how to beat it, people do recover, try and stay postive.

Have you thought about getting any counselling, maybe just to see where your at. Especially if you are not keen on medication.

Take care

Vixxy
08-06-10, 17:09
I would try CBT to change your thought patterns. Just so you can learn to deal with it if it does happen again.

Izzycam
09-06-10, 15:14
Thank you for all your replies.