PDA

View Full Version : Far out thoughts

Dan21
09-02-06, 15:11
Most of my anxiety is centred around my health. I generally freak myself out at the slightest sniff or twinge.

But lately, I have been stressing myself out with thoughts of extreme situations, that I know will probably never arise.

For instance, I have a real fear of somebody stealing my details via the internet and using them for something un-toward. It realy scares me. So much, that I try to reign back my use of the net as much as I can. I worry about my wife when she travells home from work, often my mind spirals off into all sorts of horrible scenarios when she is 15 or 20 minutes late. I then have to hide any trace of anxiety when she arrives home (safe and sound as normal)

These are just a couple of instances, but it feels as if my mind is trying to constantly scare itself to death. And it wont accomodate any possibility of 'good thoughts'. Please dont misunderstand, I'm not thinking of harming myself or such like, but this constant barage of negativity is really beginning to erode my resolve, confidence and happines.

Any thoughts would be very welcome indeed.

Dan

trac67
09-02-06, 15:43
Hi Dan,

The best way to deal with this is to change these negative thoughts into positive ones, and rationalizing your thinking.

Most importantly remember that they are only thoughts and just because you think these things it doesnt mean that they will happen.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Meg
09-02-06, 18:32
Dan

CBT is the treatment of choice for this

If you want to help yourself meanwhile go to our research page and get Shad Helmstetter book and David Burns book particularly chapter 3

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

alexis
09-02-06, 18:43
Hi Dan, you are not alone with these thoughts, they go side by side with anxiety, I know when you are thinking them how easy it is to make them worse instead of changing them as you need to like Tracey says.Take care.xxx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

Tomimo
09-02-06, 20:45
You really aren't alone. I get all sorts of irrational thoughts but that;s all they are - thoughts.

It is very hard to reationalise when you feel like that but the best thing to do is try to make the thoughts more positive (easier said then done I know!).

Annie x