PDA

View Full Version : One sided face numbness and joint pain

j2
09-06-10, 03:34
I know others have had similar things but I am really needing someone to reassure me on this. I have had one side of my face feeling numb and some pain in my hands and feet. My big toes and index fingers seem to be effected the most. It feels like most of the pain follows the path of nerves. I am freaking out about various nuero diseases. Any input would really be appreciated. I can't get in to see a doctor for weeks and even then I probably can't afford the big tests. Please let me hear some rational thoughts!!!

anthrokid
09-06-10, 07:12
J2 I can definitely reassure you here. Head and face feelings are my specialty, I had the most horrible continuous symptoms when my anxiety first started, one of those being numbness in one side of my face. My doctor and psychiatrist have both reassured me time and time again that the numbness is just due to anxiety and is often caused by tension in other areas of the body, especially the neck, jaw nd facial muscles. We often don't realise we are tense, but notice the effects of the tension. My hands and feet also get sore a lot, and this can also be due to muscle tension. Because your muscles are tense everything you do with them is harder and works on the muscles more, which strains them a bit more and ends up with them hurting. It's like when you lift weights or something. You'll find that the pain doesn't follow the nerves, but actually follows muscles. I study psychology and I'm pretty sure nerves send the messages of pain, but you cannot actually feel a pain along a nerve. It definitely sounds like musco-skeletal pain to me :) Try having a warm bath, this will relax your whole body and you'll feel much better. Consiously tense and untense each part of your body in the bath and feel yourself loosening and calming. It's great :) It's definitely not a neuro disease, just tension and anxiety.