PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still on here who now feels 100% better?

steveo1980
09-06-10, 10:44
Just wondering how many people get through this horrible anxiety after taking cit and then feel 100% better again and then no longer take cit and still feel better?

I would like some positive stories to read as there are so many negatives around that we all probably read too much of.

I did find some positive posts but then the poster who was positive wasn't feeling so great a few weeks later.

I've been on 10mg for about 10-12 weeks now and was reluctant to take them at first thinking i was strong enough without. I have been up and down but the anxiety is still there. It is not as bad as at the start, particularly the side effects of increased anxiety and unable to sleep which were horrid!!

I did have about 5 days of feeling really 'normal' again recently which i thought was the turning point but it didn't last and i'm also reluctant to up my dose - this may be crazy I know...

JT69
09-06-10, 12:33
Hi Stevo,

It sounds like you need to up your dose to me. 10mg is a very low dose and 20mg is more thereputic, even though some people on here take up to 40mg or even 60mg I have read.

When I took citalopram (on and off for around 9 years) I found 20mg was the best dose for me. If I went through a bad spell I upped to 30mg and then after a few months dropped back down to 20mg. It worked really well for me.

If I were you I would make an appointment and have a chat with your GP and perhaps increase to 20mg, I feel you would benefit from that.

There are alot of people taking citalopram on here so I'm sure you will get lots of advice.

Take care.
Jo.xx

steveo1980
09-06-10, 13:58
Hi Jo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you still take Citalopram or have you been able to stop?

My doctor is happy to increase my dosage but i was trying to see if i could feel better without relying on the tablets too much as i thought this would make it harder to come off them in the future. I was hoping it was just because of the stressful situations i had going on and that now they have passed, so would my anxiety.

However, the increase might now be necessary as it is still there unfortunately.

JT69
09-06-10, 14:29
Hi Stevo,

Unfortunately for me I came off citalopram January 09 then in October 09 I crashed. I surpose I should of noticed the signs when I started to go down hill again in the summer but chose to ignore and by the time I started back on citalopram I had crashed!!!

This time cit didnt work for me, wether it was because I had taken it for so long before or what I dont know but I had to come off them and go onto Mirtazipine which has got my life back on track.

I wouldnt worry about increasing the dose as 10mg is a very very low dose, but a good dose to start on to avoid side effects. It is not hard to come off them as I have done so many times when I took it but the key is to come off very slowly and then you will be fine.

I would definately consider the increase, they will help you and then worry about coming off them when you have been feeling well again for some time....you will do it.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Jo.xx

steveo1980
09-06-10, 14:46
Thanks Jo.

Glad to hear you're back on track... Crashed sounds pretty bad but you've done well to get back to normal.

You certainly talk with experience having taken them for 9 years but this was something i wanted to hopefully not end up doing. Of course not that there is anything wrong with taking medication if it makes you feel better but my brain for some reason is reluctant to increase. I will see how the next few days go and look to increase the dose.

I've even cut out the can of lager i was having a night thinking it may help :-(

JT69
09-06-10, 14:52
Hi Stevo,

I definatley dont blame you for giving it a few more days and if you can carry on medication free then I am pleased for you.

We are all different and for me I have suffered with depression and anxiety since 1998 and found that I mostly have to take medication to combat it...it does not totally stop it and I still suffer but at least it lets me live my life as normal as possible.

I hate the thought of taking meds for the rest of my life but if it helps than I would rather do that than feel like I do without them.

I hope you settle down again and dont have to increase but if you do then dont feel bad about it...if you had a headache you would take a pain-killer??? Wouldnt you?? It is pretty much the same.

Take care.
Jo.xx

steveo1980
09-06-10, 15:21
I think that is what i am mainly scared of Jo as i'm sure everyone else is; feeling like this forever when all you want to feel is 'normal'.

I am normally a happy go lucky person but have suffered panic attacks for probably 10 years+. They were manageable though and only in certain situations so were not really a big deal. Up until a few months back i had done really well to get over them and they didn't really bother me, but a few things that have triggered stress have brought on my anxiety...

Fingers crossed I wll get back to what i feel is normal and will not have to feel like this forever.

Take care and thanks for your replies.